Newbie question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

memontgo

Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Hello all! I'm new to satellite, but just had D* installed with some issues. Can anyone point me to a reference for the different satellites (101, 110, 119, 103, etc) and exactly how D* gets the signal to my set? I had 3 D11's and 1 HR20-100 installed with tiling issues and random channel switching on all of them. Installer has returned 3 times, replaced the switch twice, just received a new HR20 and have the same issues. Beginning to wonder if it is my equipment or D*, but if I run component or hdmi out I get the same problems. No issues with Blu-ray or HD-DVD's. Thanks for the help!

Hello all! I'm new to satellite, but just had D* installed with some issues. Can anyone point me to a reference for the different satellites (101, 110, 119, 103, etc) and exactly how D* gets the signal to my set? I had 3 D11's and 1 HR20-100 installed with tiling issues and random channel switching on all of them. Installer has returned 3 times, replaced the switch twice, just received a new HR20 and have the same issues. Beginning to wonder if it is my equipment or D*, but if I run component or hdmi out I get the same problems. No issues with Blu-ray or HD-DVD's. Thanks for the help!

Can you give us some info as to what type of trouble your having ?
Random channel switching ?
It could be your equipment possibly, are all units having the same trouble ?
I'm gonna presume your using the Slimline dish.

Jimbo

I'm having what appears to be 2 issues, but may be related. I have 2 dishes - one for local channels and the 5LNB dish (I assume slimline). All new cables are running to the HR20 and 1 D11 with existing wires running to the remaining 2 D11's. House is only 5 years old so wiring is all RG6. My HR20 is running to a Denon receiver via hdmi and then to the Sony VPL-VW100 front projector (92" screen). The dishes are mounted on the roof of our 2-story house with no trees anywhere close. They are mounted at the bottom, not the peak of the roof.

On the replacement HR20 I received yesterday, I watched HD channels for about 5 hours straight with no problems. Today, I can't watch 5 minutes without picture and sound breaking up (771 errors). If I restart the receiver, it is fine again for a few hours then starts breaking up again.

On the D11's (all of them) when watching local channels I get picture/sound breaks with images/audio from ESPN or Soap Network cutting in and out. Doesn't matter which local channel. Both techs that have come out have said this is a problem that they have never seen before.

Both problems seem to get worse when all receivers are on, but do appear with only a single set powered up too. I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks, calling and waiting 2-3 days for someone to come out, then waiting another couple of days for equipment to come in, the calling and waiting another couple of days for a tech to come back. Just about ready to throw in the towel:( My wife of course blaims me for *having to get more HD than I can watch* :):)

Hope that isn't too long of a post.

I'm having what appears to be 2 issues, but may be related. I have 2 dishes - one for local channels and the 5LNB dish (I assume slimline). All new cables are running to the HR20 and 1 D11 with existing wires running to the remaining 2 D11's. House is only 5 years old so wiring is all RG6. My HR20 is running to a Denon receiver via hdmi and then to the Sony VPL-VW100 front projector (92" screen). The dishes are mounted on the roof of our 2-story house with no trees anywhere close. They are mounted at the bottom, not the peak of the roof.

On the replacement HR20 I received yesterday, I watched HD channels for about 5 hours straight with no problems. Today, I can't watch 5 minutes without picture and sound breaking up (771 errors). If I restart the receiver, it is fine again for a few hours then starts breaking up again.

On the D11's (all of them) when watching local channels I get picture/sound breaks with images/audio from ESPN or Soap Network cutting in and out. Doesn't matter which local channel. Both techs that have come out have said this is a problem that they have never seen before.

Both problems seem to get worse when all receivers are on, but do appear with only a single set powered up too. I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks, calling and waiting 2-3 days for someone to come out, then waiting another couple of days for equipment to come in, the calling and waiting another couple of days for a tech to come back. Just about ready to throw in the towel:( My wife of course blaims me for *having to get more HD than I can watch* :):)

Hope that isn't too long of a post.

I forgot earlier :
:welcome to the site !

First thing I would check when the trouble is happening is your signal strength... On the slimline (yes, thats the one you have) they should be in the high 80's to 100, not nessasaraly 100 but 90's except for the 99 sat, not being used to much just yet, so your signals may vary, it's also ok to have a few 0's and lower number, but not alot .
You have 5 total tuners so you also have a multiswitch in the system, this adds another chance of a piece of equipment being bad .... It happens, nothing intentional.

What are your SS's when its working well and when it's not working correct,if you can get to them when it's not working ?

Jimbo

2 dishes? Where Do you live? I"m assuming one is the 72.5 dish for locals? We don't have that one where I live but I know some areas use it. I wonder if when they set up the HDDVR if they set it to recognize the 72.5 and set it to recognize the 6x8 switch.... I know on some older h20 and HR20's when they first came out you had to manually set the type of switch it was using, either 4x4 (built into the LNB assy) or the 6x8. Wonder if it is set wrong and causing problems with the other dish maybe...

The second dish is for the 72.5 locals.

They have replaced the multiswitch twice (6x8)

Most of the readings are in the mid to upper 90's even when I'm having issues. I'm not sure which sat broadcasts which signals, but the majority of them are in the 90's all the time. I have noticed if I go into the signal strength meters and watch them for a while, occasionally I'll get major fluctuations, like 95%, 80%, no signal, then back to 90%, 95%, 89%, no signal, etc..... Looking at the dish, I can't see any movement in it, and I've gone up to check that everything is tight.

The second dish is for the 72.5 locals.

They have replaced the multiswitch twice (6x8)

Most of the readings are in the mid to upper 90's even when I'm having issues. I'm not sure which sat broadcasts which signals, but the majority of them are in the 90's all the time. I have noticed if I go into the signal strength meters and watch them for a while, occasionally I'll get major fluctuations, like 95%, 80%, no signal, then back to 90%, 95%, 89%, no signal, etc..... Looking at the dish, I can't see any movement in it, and I've gone up to check that everything is tight.

Curious, What Multiswitch are they using ?

You will need the WB 68
I can't imagine it being a SS problem if they are all in the 90's.
Do you know if there are any splitters in the existing cable being used ?
Normal cablevision splitters cannot be used, make sure there are none in the lines being used, this will also cause trouble.

Jimbo

In luck! Just went outside and found the old one laying in the grass - it is the WB68. Also looked in the HR20 menus and don't see anywhere that I can select the switch. The sticker on the back says it was manufactured in Nov 2007.

No splitters in use anywhere in the house. Just a few couplers that the installer provided.

Well they are using the correct MS.
Call them back, tell them if they don't get this fixed you want a refund.
Have them get a experienced tech out there, if LOS is not an issue, it should not be a problem. That leaves the DISH, have they tried a different Slimline yet ?
How about the cables, you said some were new, some not (I think).
I wonder if One rec. going bad would cause this issue on all the sets ?

Jimbo

Got another appointment on Thursday. We'll see if I stick with D* or not. They offered a service credit, which I accepted, but I also told them I wasn't paying anything until it is correctly installed.

I think the only thing left to replace is the LNBs. The HR20 and 1 D11 is running on cables installed newly installed from the dish to receiver, and the other 2 D11s use some existing wire. I didn't have any issues with SD over cable on them, but I know this is a different animal.

BTW Jimbo - Hope your not still in mourning over the Buckeye loss Monday. My Fighting Illini didn't do so well in the Rose Bowl either. There is always next season! Thanks for your comments on this!

I didn't have any issues with SD over cable on them, but I know this is a different animal.

BTW Jimbo - Hope your not still in mourning over the Buckeye loss Monday. My Fighting Illini didn't do so well in the Rose Bowl either. There is always next season! Thanks for your comments on this!

I did not see this info posted prior to this.
IF it is just the HD your talking about ,then you do not have trouble with the other rec's, just the HR20. So the older cables are fine, as I suspected. They are not going to run new thru out the house.

I now suspect they will replace the Slimline (and LNB with it) and possibly the HR20, but more than likely it's the LNB's that are faulty.

Hang in there :up
As for the Buckeye's ..... It's baseball season, Right ???

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)