Newbie Question

wolfcrane

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Central Florida
Hi,
I am a new user of the forums, and a new owner to a previously enjoyed GloryStar system, which had been given to us by a friend.
Right now, we have a DirecTv system, with DVR. Is there a way to hook up the GloryStar system along with the DirecTv system? I know we will have to set up the dish next to the directv dish, but I want to make sure that I am hooking up the wires correctly outside, and inside. Can I hook up both dishes to one combiner/splitter outside, and the signals come in from both dishes on one cable? The DVR we are using is only operating on one tuner, because we were unable to run 2 coax cables into the house, without doing a lot of work.
I am also trying to think of the best way to hook up the receivers inside, going to the TV.
We may also be getting a antenna hooked up to receive local TV channels.
Unfortunately, I am disabled, so am limited from doing anything major, and I can't afford to hire someone to do it for us. So we ( wife & I ) will have to wing it, as best as we can.
Thanks.

I cannot answer the first question for certain but I think the two dishes need their own coax to the converter. To the second question, just connect the output of the DTV converter to the antenna input of the Glorystar converter. The Glorystar converter has two coax inputs - one to the dish (LNBF input) and antenna. The Glorystar converter will switch between the two.

unfortunately you cannot combine both sat connections together since they run on the same set of frequencies. You need 2 cables coming in (one for DIrectv and one for Glorystar)

A quick followup if you have an antenna for local channels it would be connected to the DTV converter. The DTV converter will switch between local and Dtv leaving the Glorystar to switch between the output of the DTV and Glorystar.

Thanks

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I didn't want to have to run another coax cable into the house.
The whole house is wired for cable, but when we first moved in, we had Dish Network ( with their DVR service for 2 rooms ). The installer did something to the lines up in the attic, and now we can only get a signal in the living room via the DirecTv unit ( I canceled Dish several months after getting it, because I wasn't happy with the service ).
I can't tell what the installer did in the attic, because of all the spray insulation that covers everything.
I really like the idea of just getting FTA channels, and using a antenna to get locals, and maybe using the internet for any other entertainment. My friend also gave me a sky angel unit, but I really can't afford to pay for the service right now ( I don't know how much longer we will have DirecTv anyway ). I am supposed to be getting DSL soon ( am on dial-up right now ), and the connection speed is supposed to be 3mbps, so am not sure if that's enough for SkyAngel. We'll probably put that on the back burner for now. I just wanted to get the GloryStar system hooked up, and we should be getting an antenna from my friend soon.

The Sky angel idea is - in MY opinion - not worth much. (not worth anything.) When I checked the only "channels not available FREE were the two SjyAngel channels, so why pay for the services? My "high speed" internet is not fast enouigh for SA but I can often get the original signals from the original providers websites - now that my High speed reaches 750KBS from time to time!

For a side note -- there is a slim possibility that IF you want the TBN satellite signal, that the Closest TNB station may know of a hobbyist in the area that will be able and willing to help you. Us old timers joined with Paul Crouch to help people get TBN 25 years ago and someone may be in your area that has Glorystar experience.
POP

Thanks. It would be nice to find someone that could help out.
I'd hire someone to do it, but I just can't afford it right now.
I'd ask my friend that gave the stuff to me to help, but he is very busy.
I was wondering if SA was worth it. I read somewhere that alot of the channels they were offering had their own websites, that you watch their streaming video for free. I'd just need a way to stream it to my TV
Still waiting for Century Link to turn on the DSL. The last time I had something faster than dial-up, was when i used Alltel cellular, and tethered the phone to the pc, and used a data connection. It was faster than dial-up, but in no way close to DSL, or broadband.

I have both Glorystar and Directv. I love Directv, but I like Glorystar so much that I am thinking about dropping Directv. If it were not for the NFL and the NBA games I would do just that.
I have the Glorystar geostat receiver stacked on top of the Directv receiver. I use the remote that came with the tv to switch between the two. Directv is input as video 2, glorystar is component 1. I record directv with a dvr recever, and I record glorystar with a HDD harddrive disc.
Neat set up. Maybe there is an easier way, but this one works for me. Kountzer in NW Houston

I finally got the the receiver hooked up. I had originally mounted it where my Dish network dish was, and i got a few channels in, but i decided to move it to the front yard, and reconnected everything. now, I can't can't get anything. I live in West Central Florida, and have a fairly good line of sight of the Southern sky. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Under signal, there is the number 15. Under Quality, it is 0. That is for 1. Glorystar One G19-KU 12115 (V) 2245.
For 106. 3ABN English: AMC4-KU, 11822 (H) 5700, the signal is 20,and quality is 40.

Last edited:
I am getting an OTA antenna set up, and will not bother with DirecTv. Would I need a separate cable for the OTA antenna, when I run it inside the house?

You need to take a receiver out to the dish and hookup to the #2 LNB ahead of the switch, make sure the skew is set correctly and find the signal level at the dish. With your signal level at 15 there is something wrong with the connection going to the house, or bad switch or bad cable. I would use channel #901, 12152H, 20000, to find the satellite. Then your signal level should be much higher ~70%. BTW there is no AMC4 any more, you will need to do a manual update using the OTA selection in the menu once you are locked onto G19.

You can combine you local OTA antenna signals onto the same cable by using diplexers.
let us know how it goes.
Bob

Thanks. I did as you instructed, and got these results: S=70 Q=0 on 901. RT News G19KU 12152 (H), 20000.

Well the good news is that you have a good connection to the LNB when you are at the dish. Now you need to find the satellite using the receiver at the dish. Slowwwwwwly swing the dish sideways (left/right) and watch the Q level. If nothing raise/lower the dish no more than 2 degrees at a time and swing it slowwwwly again until you find the satellite. Once you find it balance 12115 transponder with 11842 transponder (channels 112 & 113) - by slightly moving the dish left/right & up/down. then lock the adjustments and do the update from the menu OTA selection. Then you will need to find out why you have reduced signal indoors. But one step at a time.:)
Bob

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. I'll do this tomorrow, and will post here with the results. "If" it comes down to it, I'll hire someone to help fix the problem, even though I can't really afford it. Would rather make the break from DirecTv, and similar companies.

I finally got it working. I had to get my wife to help too. I took the receiver & tv outside, also had to move the pole a little. Outside, on channel 901, I was getting S: 80 Q: 80. So, I went ahead and hooked it up inside. Now i'm getting S: 45 Q: 75. G19-KU 12152 (H) 20000. I did do the update outside, but when I tried it inside, it failed. I noticed that we aren't getting the history channel, or bio channel now.

This is an incredible amount of signal strength being lost when running the cable inside! I would expect only a few points loss at the maximum. There is a problem with the cable or connectors.
  • What type of coax cable is running from the dish? RG6 or RG59?
  • How long is the coax cable?
  • One solid cable or are there barrels in line?
  • Any splitters or other electronic devices in line?

Check the Signal Level and the Signal Quality readings on channels 106, 113 and 901. The Signal Quality readings should be balanced as much as possible, but peaked above 50% on these three channels. If channel 113 SQ reading is below 45%, the receiver will not update reliably.

I know it's Rg6 cable, which I am planning on replacing. I have had it for several years, or more. It was used at our previous house, when DirecTv had been installed. It's connected at the satellite dish, and runs straight to connector on the side of the house ( maybe 25 ft. or more? ). Then goes inside. Our whole house was wired for cable. When we first moved in a few years ago, we had Dish network installed, the tech went into the attic and did something ( not sure what ), so we could have a DVR in the main room, and watch Tv in in the bedroom. There are a couple of splitters in the living room, and it's all connected to the VCR, TV/DVD switch, then to TV.
I see that Glorystar has a pretty good deal on Rg6 cable, so will probably buy from them. I am planning on hooking up my OTA antenna also, it has a WineGard signal booster, rotor, and the digital converter. I want to get a Satellite/TV Antenna Diplexer also, so everything can be run inside the house by a single cable. Is there anything I will need to get to make everything work correctly? Also, I may also buy additional receivers for the bedrooms. On channel 106 the signal quality reading is: S: 60 Q: 75, channel 113: S: 30 Q: 5, Channel 901: S: 45, Q: 75.
I have noticed several channels are very fuzzy, reminds of watching an older video tape, some of the color seems to be washed out. Could this be the connection also?
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
We would not recommend using a Diplexer with either the Glorystar system or the OTA. The diplexer attenuates the signals for both systems and you will experience lower Signal Quality readings on the Glorystar system and may lose weaker OTA channels. You should run separate coax lines for the OTA and the satellite systems.

All Glorystar channels are now moving to only the single satellite Galaxy 19. Connect your system using only the single LNBF clamp with one LNBF. If you add additional receivers, you will need to upgrade your system to a dual output LNBF. Single output LNBFs only support a single receiver and the coax cable cannot be split to multiple receivers. Splitting the cable from a single output LNBF will only allow one polarity to be received on all connected receivers. If you have more than two receivers connected, you will also need a 3x4 Multiswitch to distribute signal from the satellite dish to up to 4 receivers. a 3x8 multiswitch will support up to 8 receivers and 3x16 multiswitch up to 16, etc.

The washed out colors or picture fuzziness is from the broadcaster and is not the result of the signal quality, equipment or connections on your receiving end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts