Newbie Question

DRich2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
I currently have four TV's on cable. Is the lease deal $39.99 + $9.99 for each receiver plus $5.00 per outlet (Total around $100 per month) or is it $39.99 + $9.99 for first receiver + $5.00 for each additional receiver (total around $65 per month)?

Does each receiver require a phone jack or are they networked in a way that only one must have access to the phone?

Will they have to run new cable to each room or can they use my coax from cable tv?

Do they provide cables from STB to TV?

Thanks for the help, David.

DRich2,
I'll let someone else comment on current pricing (or better call VOOM and check with them directly), as for the rest:

Each receiver will need to be connected to the phone line, though currently this is not being used.

It depends on how you are wired. They may or may not be able to use your existing wires.

Yes, they are supposed to provide cables (DVI or Component).

Hey, welcome aboard!

DRich2 said:
I currently have four TV's on cable. Is the lease deal $39.99 + $9.99 for each receiver plus $5.00 per outlet (Total around $100 per month) or is it $39.99 + $9.99 for first receiver + $5.00 for each additional receiver (total around $65 per month)?

Does each receiver require a phone jack or are they networked in a way that only one must have access to the phone?

Will they have to run new cable to each room or can they use my coax from cable tv?

Do they provide cables from STB to TV?

Thanks for the help, David.

$39.95, plus $9.99 for each receiver, plus $5 for each receiver after the first, plus tax.

You would need a phone line connection to each eventually - mostly for PPV.

They can use existing cables if they are RG6 and if they run in the right places. In my case all of the cable TV cables are RG6 and they originate in the garage - so I had the dish installed on the garage.

When the new DVR receiver comes out, it has 2 OTA receivers and 2 SAT receivers built into the DVR. You will need at least two cables from the dish to the receiver - if you diplex the OTA onto one - or three cables if you don't diplex the OTA. Then you will need cables run from the DVR (presumably in your living room or wherever your primary HDTV is) to each of three other locations. Then a box is located in those three locations to allow them to remotely control the receivers in the DVR. There are four connections but presumably you would connect one to your main HDTV where the DVR is located.

There is a limitation here in that the four viewing locations would share the two OTA and two sat receivers. So - if two locations are each watching a different sat channel, then the other two locations would be limited to watching OTA or what one of the sat channels is set to. This will never work for us since there are four of us and 6 TV's - and we don't watch OTA much other than local news and football. So - I'll either keep cable until we are empty nest (5 years) or I'll have to take the plunge and get 2 DVR's (wonder if I'll need 5 or 6 cables then or if I can split the original 3). I figure that they will want $20 for the first DVR, probably $25 for the second, and something like $5 for each remote location. I'm guessing here - but you can bet on no free lunch. I'm figuring on a $150/mo bill eventually, then replacing all the TV's with HDTV monitors.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts