Newbie to the Forum, have a few questions about a rather intricate DirecTV Setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
8. remember that dvr's each use two of those. you would use a split 8 directly from the lnb, or a combination of split 2's and 4's so long as you make sure the power inserter is on a power passing leg of the splitters.

That's kind of what I figured. So is this essentially the only way they do it for larger installations? How many tuners could you run off of one of the one line LNBs with integrated multi switch?

OK,here are a few questions for you,how is the line of sight for where you plan on putting your dish? On which satellite are your local channels on? Will the people "sharing" your dish also want Spanish programing? Google "local satellite installers" & then find the local installer closest to you. Who are you going to have put up your dish anyway? Do you have the right equipment to locate & lock on to the satellite you'll be using to get DIRECTV(oh & by the way,that equipment DOES NOT come cheap)? That person should be (hopefully) "expert" enough to give you the right information. You may have a time limit,but honestly,right now you are sailing without a paddle,rudder,or sails. What happens if you have a tree or other structure blocking your line of sight from where you plan on putting your dish to the satellites it is intended to pick up? You might have to include in your cost clearing & cutting down some trees(that's what I had to do & where the major costs of getting satellite TV went into). You need that "expert" to come & evaluate the best place to put your dish & to set up your wiring & equipment. DIRECTV doesn't use just any old RG6 coaxial cable. It has to be swept tested to 3GHz(I hope I wrote that right). The expert you contact to evaluate where to set up everything could also end up being the one you contract to set it up.

I'm not trying to belittle you with these questions,I'm just trying to get you to step back & get someone(expert) local with a clearer perspective to come out & assess your needs & advice you accordingly.

OK,here are a few questions for you,how is the line of sight for where you plan on putting your dish? On which satellite are your local channels on? Will the people "sharing" your dish also want Spanish programing? Google "local satellite installers" & then find the local installer closest to you. Who are you going to have put up your dish anyway? Do you have the right equipment to locate & lock on to the satellite you'll be using to get DIRECTV(oh & by the way,that equipment DOES NOT come cheap)? That person should be (hopefully) "expert" enough to give you the right information. You may have a time limit,but honestly,right now you are sailing without a paddle,rudder,or sails. What happens if you have a tree or other structure blocking your line of sight from where you plan on putting your dish to the satellites it is intended to pick up? You might have to include in your cost clearing & cutting down some trees(that's what I had to do & where the major costs of getting satellite TV went into). You need that "expert" to come & evaluate the best place to put your dish & to set up your wiring & equipment. DIRECTV doesn't use just any old RG6 coaxial cable. It has to be swept tested to 3GHz(I hope I wrote that right). The expert you contact to evaluate where to set up everything could also end up being the one you contract to set it up.

I already have a Slimline dish with a (I believe) SL3 LNB. I now know that I will likely need to get a 5 LNB with four outputs (to essentially cover my ass so that all satellites are picked off of) versus just the SL5, as I'm sure that the SL3 and SL5's can in no way handle 32 simultaneous tuners with the integrated multiswitch. LOS is also actually perfect regardless of where the dish would be placed. CLEAR sky, NO trees in its way. I will certainly search for a technician to actually come and evaluate, as I know the tools aren't cheap. On the flip side though, if I get really into this stuff, I might want to have them on hand. As for the COAX Cable, I am *ANAL* on the quality of that. General Cable - Carol Brand RG6 Quad-Shield 3.0 GHz, please! THAT is something I already have knowledge of and don't screw around with.

That being said, I TOTALLY know you aren't trying to belittle or disrespect me. I am just the type of person that has always been kinesthetic and has learned better that way. I am not too prideful to ask for help at all (as is evident here), it's just that most of the time I get much more out of things (even if they are new to me) when I do them with a more "hands on" approach. I will definitely try to find a local technician at least for an evaluation in this case though.

skippinjack said:
I already have a Slimline dish with a (I believe) SL3 LNB. I now know that I will likely need to get a 5 LNB with four outputs (to essentially cover my ass so that all satellites are picked off of) versus just the SL5, as I'm sure that the SL3 and SL5's can in no way handle 32 simultaneous tuners with the integrated multiswitch. LOS is also actually perfect regardless of where the dish would be placed. CLEAR sky, NO trees in its way. I will certainly search for a technician to actually come and evaluate, as I know the tools aren't cheap. On the flip side though, if I get really into this stuff, I might want to have them on hand. As for the COAX Cable, I am *ANAL* on the quality of that. General Cable - Carol Brand RG6 Quad-Shield 3.0 GHz, please! THAT is something I already have knowledge of and don't screw around with.

That being said, I TOTALLY know you aren't trying to belittle or disrespect me. I am just the type of person that has always been kinesthetic and has learned better that way. I am not too prideful to ask for help at all (as is evident here), it's just that most of the time I get much more out of things (even if they are new to me) when I do them with a more "hands on" approach. I will definitely try to find a local technician at least for an evaluation in this case though.

Glad you know it's not belittling or anything like that it's just there is actually a lot more than just putting a dish on a roof and running a cable to the receiver. As for the LNB do NOT get a SWM LNB or you'll be screwed!!! A 5 will be ok and yes will run 32 tuners if the SWM 16's are hooked up correctly. Has for MRV goes I don't know how this will work with them daisy chained. I'm more in the line of residential and small commercial installs/service. I do know that there is people that frequent the forum that WILL know.

Glad you know it's not belittling or anything like that it's just there is actually a lot more than just putting a dish on a roof and running a cable to the receiver. As for the LNB do NOT get a SWM LNB or you'll be screwed!!! A 5 will be ok and yes will run 32 tuners if the SWM 16's are hooked up correctly. Has for MRV goes I don't know how this will work with them daisy chained. I'm more in the line of residential and small commercial installs/service. I do know that there is people that frequent the forum that WILL know.

Of course not! It's all about learning. That's why I'm here. I am well aware that there are many on here that could kick my ass with knowledge of this stuff. My goal is to get to that point. Let me ask you this, at least to be sure, are these (DIRECTV SWM-PI 29V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWM-8 and SWM-16 (PI-29Z) from Solid Signal the proper 29v power supplies (of which it looks like I'll need two) to power those SWM16's (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices) that I bought? Also, are these (DIRECTV SWS-4 Satellite 4-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) from Solid Signal the proper types of splitters that I will need that will support 4 receiver, but 2 tuners on each (8 tuners) per house when being run out of the multiswitch? And since those splitters will be run off of the SWM16's, will I still need to run a power inserter through the red port on them, or will the power inserters running the SWM16's suffice?

Thanks again!

All them links are correct. You will only need one but I may be corrected on this but the 29 PI will be the only power source you'll need

This my be the perfect situation for a SWM32. A SWM16 will let anything connected to it share recordings, which may be undesirable in a multi-dwelling situation. If you hookup two units to one SWM16 they end up sharing recordings if they get whole home DVR.

The SWM32 is essentially four SWM8's in one box, and does NOT share between the units. Each unit could have up to 8 tuners and be isolated from the others, again all sharing off one dish.

jcrandall said:
This my be the perfect situation for a SWM32. A SWM16 will let anything connected to it share recordings, which may be undesirable in a multi-dwelling situation. If you hookup two units to one SWM16 they end up sharing recordings if they get whole home DVR.

The SWM32 is essentially four SWM8's in one box, and does NOT share between the units. Each unit could have up to 8 tuners and be isolated from the others, again all sharing off one dish.

BINGO! Why didn't I think of this!? You win! :)

Here is how you need to wire it...

4 lines from the Dish to a central distribution point.

1 line from each receiver location to the central distribution point.

Its good to have a 120 volt power outlet at the central distribution point and an eithernet cable with internet so you can hookup the Cinema connection kits for on demand.

Regarding MRV with swm16 switches - all you have to do is put in a band stop filter on the main leg going to a different subscribers unit and their MRV remains theirs and no other legs will be able to see that MRV system. I have done this in apartment buildings and it works perfectly.

Claude Greiner said:
Here is how you need to wire it...

4 lines from the Dish to a central distribution point.

1 line from each receiver location to the central distribution point.

Its good to have a 120 volt power outlet at the central distribution point and an eithernet cable with internet so you can hookup the Cinema connection kits for on demand.

Beautiful. So far, I had everything planned out but the Cinema Connection Kits. How many of those would I need? And before anyone asks, I certainly had the forethought to plan for an Internet line to be there to feed them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)