Newbie wanting OTA advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Fusion

Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Collinsville, OK
I'm just about to order D* HD service (upgrade from standard service) and the OTA networks are as important to me as what I can get from D* at least until football starts. I am most likely going to order the HDTivo box from Robert's site, so getting the $1049 package from D* that includes the box and installation of an OTA antenna isn't an option. What OTA antenna would you recommend that I get, and should I get a professional installer (and what might that cost)? Here is the information that I got from AntennaWeb.com:

Somehow I am unable to post it in as an image, so I apologize that it isn't easy to read.

DTV AntennaType Call Sign Channel Network City State CompassOrientation MilesFrom FrequencyAssignment

* yellow - uhf KRSC-DT 36.1 PBS CLAREMORE OK 68° 13.5 36
* yellow - uhf KJRH-DT 2.1 NBC TULSA OK 153° 24.1 56
* lt green - vhf KTUL-DT 8.1 ABC TULSA OK 149° 28.8 10
* red - uhf KTFO-DT 41.1 UPN TULSA OK 153° 23.7 42
* red - uhf KOED-DT 11.1 PBS TULSA OK 153° 24.1 38
* red - uhf KOTV-DT 6.1 CBS TULSA OK 153° 24.1 55
* red - uhf KDOR-DT 15.1 TBN BARTLESVILLE OK 14° 12.6 15
* red - uhf KOKI-DT 23.1 FOX TULSA OK 153° 23.7 22
* violet - uhf KWHB-DT 47.1 REL TULSA OK 153° 24.1 48

http://www.winegard.com/offair/chartselector.htm

The need of a pro and that cost would be somewhat specific to your area and personal installation needs. Take a look at those Winegard antennas. I personally subtract about 10 - 20 miles from the listed ranges, to make sure my bases are covered.

So the HD8200P, HD7084P combos look good for you.

OR the HD9095P as a UHF only model. MAYBE even the HD9085P.

Fusion:

You live where? Collinsville?

I live about the same distance you do from the towers, but in another direction. (I live in Bixby.)

Forget about getting KRSC and KWHB. Focusing on the others, I'll note that KTUL, broadcasting VHF, will always be the hardest thing for you to receive.

I would say you might be able to get away with the HD7080P.
The Winegard Square Shooter might also work well for you.
http://www.valueelectronics.com/accessories.htm#off air antennas

I'm about 17 mi from the towers and get everything listed with an indoor antenna.
Things are pretty flat out here. Putting yours outdoors would definitely produce a decent result.

(By the way, the Reds come in red as they are not yet broadcasting at full power. Note the compass orientation and distance to KJRH is the same as most of the others. This is the main antenna farm east of Tulsa.)

H

Thanks for your replies.

Hogarth, I do live in Collinsville. Which indoor antenna do you use? I thought about just buying one from a local retailer if they work well enough.

I bought the Radio Shack indoor amplified deal. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1880
A little pricy, but it works for me.

Everyone I've read recommends the Zenith Silver Sensor over it, though.
Cheaper and probably better. You won't find one locally, I don't think, except possibly at Ultimate Electronics.
Amazon carries it very affordably.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...om/102-5019673-4916159?v=glance&s=electronics
It's the reference standard for indoor HDTV Antennas.

Just stay away from TERK antennas. They're crap. :)

www.hdtvok.com is worth looking at, too.

Hogarth said:
I bought the Radio Shack indoor amplified deal. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1880
A little pricy, but it works for me.

Everyone I've read recommends the Zenith Silver Sensor over it, though.
Cheaper and probably better. You won't find one locally, I don't think, except possibly at Ultimate Electronics.
Amazon carries it very affordably.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...om/102-5019673-4916159?v=glance&s=electronics
It's the reference standard for indoor HDTV Antennas.

QUOTE]

The Zenith is UHF only meaning I would need a VHF antenna as well, correct?

Do you often have to reposition your Radio Shack antenna? I Tivo more than I watch live TV because of my schedule and would hate to come home to see that nothing recorded.

Do you know of any local (Tulsa) contractors that install outdoor antennas if I do indeed need one?

Thanks!

Mr. Fusion said:
The Zenith is UHF only meaning I would need a VHF antenna as well, correct?

Whoops. Yeah.

Mr. Fusion said:
Do you often have to reposition your Radio Shack antenna? I Tivo more than I watch live TV because of my schedule and would hate to come home to see that nothing recorded.

I've not had to move it in about three months. If the source antennas were in different locations, sure, but thankfully they're all in roughly the same place.
Took about three hours to get the aiming just perfect though. You probably would have less hassle with an outdoor antenna permanently mounted or on a rotor for precise control.

Mr. Fusion said:
Do you know of any local (Tulsa) contractors that install outdoor antennas if I do indeed need one?

I don't, but I'm sure someone at HDTVOK can recommend a contractor.

Since everyone else is pushing Winegard or Rat Shack I'll through in the Channel Master 4228 (UHF only, but should pick up channel 10) with the CM 7777 preamp.

Since you have transmitters at 14 & 68 degrees to go with the 153s you may need a rotor. You don't have to go crazy on that, any brand will do.

Find a good installer and get it done right the first time.

Heh - now that's a serious step up in antennas :)

I've been thinking about doing a 4228/7777 attic mount, but just not sure if I'll gain that much over an amplified sensar outdoors.

And no, I don't think the WAF will allow a 4228 outdoors. :)

I had the Winegard sensar installed with my Voom setup but it was a piece of crap. I then installed the CM 4228 plus a 7775 preamp and now can pull in all locals except NBC (North central NJ, NY locals). I would definitely recommend the 4228. I put it in my attic although I had to take it apart to get it through the attic opening.

jwtracey - all depends on your ratings. If you're 20 miles from the ESB, we're not talking anything earth shattering. :)

I am over 20 miles away from all my towers and I am getting perftect OTA signal with the Zenith indoor antenna.

They have it at Sears too....

asousa said:
I am over 20 miles away from all my towers and I am getting perftect OTA signal with the Zenith indoor antenna.

You must be at a pretty good elevation. I'm about 25 miles from NYC and the SS couldn't pull in the stations I needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts