• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark0525

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Ohio
I have a few questions. Just had my system installed yesterday. Guy was there from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. He put in a 8 receiver system with 2 DVR's and can now handle up to 16.

1st question is about the remote on the DVR. With my old cable remote was I was able to press one button and it would turn the TV, cable box and receiver for surround sound (volume goes through receiver not TV). Is this possible with directv? Or will I have to slide it over to AV1 and control it that way?

2nd question is the installer talked me into the protection plan because I have such a large and complicated system. Is this worth the addition 6.00 a month?

3rd question is with OTA. Will I receive additional channels through OTA and if so what do I need to do to pull them in? Do I have to change the input?

1. Probably AV1 in your future...depends on the codes.
2. With 8 receivers the $6.00 is cheap! There is a 90 day warranty on the receivers and the installation. Read the fine print to note what is not included.......try to get the same tech to work on your system...bypass DTV. Get as much of your AV equipment onto surge protectors or a UPS (uninterruptible power source)
3.OTA is what it is.......go to antennaweb.com and see what is possible. Plan to wire it separately from your sat system. You should be getting local OTAs through DTV. Other nearby stations would be possible IF they are important to you.

Joe

Last edited:
2. A DIRECTV service call is usually $50, and it usually costs $20 to get a bad receiver or DVR replaced so I don't think paying $6/month for the protection plan is worth it.

Unless you get a HR20 they have a internal OTA turner
if you have a HR21-22-23 you need to buy a AM21 to get OTA this connects to your reciever via usb.
protection plan would be worth it with 8 boxes wait 3 months then get it
Not sure how to get 16 connections
remotes can be programed just do it via the instructions in the menu it is easy

#3. I kinda answered the question in your other thread but,
In order to get the OTA local channels you'll need an AM21 box. It's an add on OTA tuner that connects to your STB receiver through a USB connection.

They are an add on so to get one you will have to order through D*. If I remember they are about $50.00 ea. They are not available through any retail or on line source (that I'm aware of)

You hook up your OTA antenna to the AM21. The AM21 integrates all OTA information into the main guide.

Once hooked up it's pretty much forget about it until you get knocked out by a whopper snowstorm or Rain storm, then you'll remember you have it and then you can watch the wall to wall "Storm Team Coverage".

The AM21 does pick up the HD programming the locals broadcast.

Many here me included will say that the OTA Picture Quality (PQ) is a "little" bit better.
You will receive additional channels from your locals.

You'll be able to pick up the subchannels many stations braodcast. for example our local FOX affiliate broadcasts on channel 6 we have 6.1 where I can waste the day watching reruns of Marcus Welby, Gunsmoke, the Rifleman etc.

PBS is real big into sub channels. We have 2 PBS stations here and they have I think 57 sub channels (just Kidding) I thinks it's 10 or 12. I really don't watch any of them though.

Many here me included will say that the OTA Picture Quality (PQ) is a "little" bit better.

You'll be able to pick up the subchannels many stations braodcast. for example our local FOX affiliate broadcasts on channel 6 we have 6.1 where I can waste the day watching reruns of Marcus Welby, Gunsmoke, the Rifleman etc.

PBS is real big into sub channels. We have 2 PBS stations here and they have I think 57 sub channels (just Kidding) I thinks it's 10 or 12. I really don't watch any of them though.[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there is a chance that I can get FOX HD through OTA? Right now on Direct Fox isn't in HD on my local.

Will the channels show up on the guide? Do I have to switch off Direct to view these channels?

Last edited:

PBS is real big into sub channels. We have 2 PBS stations here and they have I think 57 sub channels (just Kidding) I thinks it's 10 or 12. I really don't watch any of them though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there is a chance that I can get FOX HD through OTA? Right now on Direct Fox isn't in HD on my local.

Will the channels show up on the guide? Do I have to switch off Direct to view these channels?[/QUOTE]

As for Fox in your area, can't say unless we have your Zip Code or you can look it up at antennaweb.org as well.
Can't imagine not having a Fox affiliate, but ya never know.

If you run the OTA feed into the D* recvr, and run the OTA set up on the recvr, YES they channels will show in your guide, also might want to run a OTA feed into your TV too.

Will the channels show up on the guide? Do I have to switch off Direct to view these channels?

As for Fox in your area, can't say unless we have your Zip Code or you can look it up at antennaweb.org as well.

If you run the OTA feed into the D* recvr, and run the OTA set up on the recvr, YES they channels will show in your guide, also might want to run a OTA feed into your TV too.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. My zipcode is 44514. I will try and see if I can look it up. I'm on the site but I dont know how to find it. I'll keep looking.

If you run the OTA feed into the D* recvr, and run the OTA set up on the recvr, YES they channels will show in your guide, also might want to run a OTA feed into your TV too.

Thank you. My zipcode is 44514. I will try and see if I can look it up. I'm on the site but I dont know how to find it. I'll keep looking.[/QUOTE]

This what I found. Not many channels. How do I know if they are HD?

WKBN-DT 27.1 CBS YOUNGSTOWN, OH 341° 3.3 41
* yellow
uhf WFMJ-DT 21.1 NBC YOUNGSTOWN, OH 353° 4.7 20
yellow
uhf WYFX-LP 62 FOX YOUNGSTOWN, OH 341° 3.3 62
* yellow
uhf WYTV-DT 33.1 ABC YOUNGSTOWN, OH 352° 3.5 36
* green
uhf W44CR-D 58.1 PBS ALLIANCE, OH 353° 4.7 44
blue
uhf W52DS 52 TBN CANTON, OH 350° 12.4 52
* blue
uhf WNEO-DT 45.1 PBS ALLIANCE, OH 253° 17.1 45
Note:

Thank you. My zipcode is 44514. I will try and see if I can look it up. I'm on the site but I dont know how to find it. I'll keep looking.

This what I found. Not many channels. How do I know if they are HD?

WKBN-DT 27.1 CBS YOUNGSTOWN, OH 341° 3.3 41
* yellow
uhf WFMJ-DT 21.1 NBC YOUNGSTOWN, OH 353° 4.7 20
yellow
uhf WYFX-LP 62 FOX YOUNGSTOWN, OH 341° 3.3 62
* yellow
uhf WYTV-DT 33.1 ABC YOUNGSTOWN, OH 352° 3.5 36
* green
uhf W44CR-D 58.1 PBS ALLIANCE, OH 353° 4.7 44
blue
uhf W52DS 52 TBN CANTON, OH 350° 12.4 52
* blue
uhf WNEO-DT 45.1 PBS ALLIANCE, OH 253° 17.1 45
Note:[/QUOTE]

You should be able to get your locals with NO problems with an OTA, or even rabbit ears, your only about 5 miles (or less) from the towers.

Jason,
Most of the stations all have a -DT on them, his Fox has -LP, does that designate Low Power ? If so, could this be the problem he's having ? That said, I cannot imagine a National Network on Low Power.

Yes it is Low Power and looks like you may be able to get it on the CBS channel at .2 ????

WYFX-LP
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WYFX-LP / WFXI-CA
Wyfx 2009.png
WYFX-LP: Youngstown, Ohio
WFXI-CA: Mercer, Pennsylvania
Branding FOX Youngstown
First News
Slogan Where Your News
Comes First
Channels Analog:
WYFX-LP: 62 (UHF)
WFXI-CA: 17 (UHF)
Digital: WKBN-DT 41.2 (UHF)
Affiliations FOX
Owner New Vision Television
(NVT Youngstown Licensee, LLC)
Founded 1998
Call letters’ meaning WYFX-LP: Warren and
Youngstown's FOX
WFXI-CA: FOX
Sister station(s) WKBN
WYTV
Former callsigns none
Former affiliations none
Transmitter Power WYFX-LP: 25 kW
WFXI-CA: 9.4 kW
WKBN-DT2: 700 kW
Height WYFX-LP: 553.7 m
WFXI-CA: 563.1 m
WKBN-DT2: 384.2 m
Facility ID WYFX-LP: 68398
WFXI-CA: 261
WKBN-DT2: 73153
Transmitter Coordinates WYFX-LP: 41°3?24?N 80°38?44?W / 41.05667°N 80.64556°W / 41.05667; -80.64556
WFXI-CA: 41°15?10?N 80°21?27?W / 41.25278°N 80.3575°W / 41.25278; -80.3575
Website foxyoungstown.com

WYFX-LP is a low-powered television station that is licensed to Youngstown, Ohio. It broadcasts an analog signal on UHF channel 62 from a transmitter on Sunset Boulevard in Boardman Township. WFXI-CA is a Class A television station that is licensed to Mercer, Pennsylvania. Airing an analog signal on UHF channel 17, it has a transmitter in Hermitage. Together, the two stations serve eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania as the area's FOX affiliates. Owned by New Vision Television, the stations are sister to CBS affiliate WKBN-TV and ABC affiliate WYTV (along with its MyNetworkTV subchannel). WYTV is owned by Parkin Broadcasting, LLC but operated by New Vision Television though a shared services agreement (SSA).

All of the stations share studios on Sunset Boulevard in Boardman Township (although the mailing address is Youngstown). Syndicated programming on WYFX and WFXI includes Sex and the City, Two and a Half Men, Family Guy, and King of Queens. Due to low-powered and Class A status, they do not air digital signals of their own. However, there is one broadcasting in high definition on WKBN-DT2. This has the added benefit of greatly increasing the over-the-air range of the stations since WKBN's digital signal is very strong and the WYFX and WFXI signals are weak, barely extending outside the Youngstown and Mercer limits.

Can you maybe pick up the Fox (or all for that matter) from Pittsburgh or Cleveland ? They are not very far away either.
This of course would take a outdoor OTA to make work (I would put it on a rotor)

Last edited:
I have a few questions. Just had my system installed yesterday. Guy was there from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. He put in a 8 receiver system with 2 DVR's and can now handle up to 16.

1st question is about the remote on the DVR. With my old cable remote was I was able to press one button and it would turn the TV, cable box and receiver for surround sound (volume goes through receiver not TV). Is this possible with directv? Or will I have to slide it over to AV1 and control it that way?

2nd question is the installer talked me into the protection plan because I have such a large and complicated system. Is this worth the addition 6.00 a month?

3rd question is with OTA. Will I receive additional channels through OTA and if so what do I need to do to pull them in? Do I have to change the input?

Get a harmony remote, it will do what you are looking for, you can setup different functions or tasks, like watch tv, watch dvd, listen to music, and you hit the button for that task and the remote will turn everything on that needs to be on, tune everything to the right input, and when you are done turn everything off as well. Plus it is programed through a computer program so it is very easy, no inputing codes, just put in model number and it downloads the info from the net.

Hopefully I can add a question to this thread.

I'm also a newbie with my install scheduled for tomorrow. coming back after being with E* for three years.

I have OTA currently on E* through my VIP622 receiver. Comes in handy especially when the satellite stations go out due to rain, etc. I can still pick up my OTA digital stations.

Will I be able to do this using the AM21 or is it going to go down when the main satellite signal is lost also?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts