News from Apple this week

Speculations Ahead Of Apple Event: Apple Inc.’s first hardware unveiling event of this year, “California Streaming” will be held on Sept. 14. At the event, Apple is expected to launch iPhone 13 models that will have high refresh rate screens, smaller display notches and improved cameras, compared to the iPhone 12 models.

Are you thinking about upgrading your Apple Watch?

The image quality is good but the problem I had was aiming it. Notice when you raise your wrist which way the camera is pointed. Not straight ahead but to your left. Second problem is it has no image stabilization so the video is like any other action camera without IS. Other than that it is nice quality and the sound can be good if the source is not too far away. All except the aiming can be easily corrected in post with good software like Premiere.
The little LED is also obnoxious but I did a low tech fix by sticking a small piece is dark film between the rubber band and the guts. There are YT videos of it in use.

If you need a spy cam, I find this one much better easier to use and good quality but you can't monitor the recording on your Apple watch like the wrist cam. For the price it's well worth having it in your shirt pocket. For long recording time add a high speed micro sd card like 128GB.

Amazon product ASIN B09234QTY5View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09234QTY5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the new Apple Watches will use different size bands.
This will be the 3rd band change for no reason? Someone needs to make a band adapter. An idea for you 3D printer enthusiasts. Apple has the worst watch band designs!!!

Something like this but for adapting Apple bands to different size Apple watches.

Amazon product ASIN B0742BDG5RView: https://www.amazon.com/VICTHY-Adapter-Connector-Models-Screwdriver/dp/B0742BDG5R/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0742BDG5R&psc=1

Reactions: Foxbat
Wow... not impressed with the new Apple Watch, the screen looks great, but the only real new feature is it will tell you that you fell off your bike. I was expecting better battery life, when it is still the same battery life. I was all gung ho to get one, but now seeing this I may just hang on to my Series 4.

Reactions: KE4EST
I agree with Scott.
Apple Watch series 7 is a snoozer.
I too wanted better battery though we’ve heard rumors of this for several years now.
Drip drip drip…..

I will probably pick up a iPhone Pro Max, moving up from an 11. Kind of surprised there was no Always on screen on the iPhone Pro like the watches have.

But none of the features really wowed me.

I wish the iPhone's offered the centerstage feature that the iPads offer. And I am surprised you can't use an Apple Pencil on an iPhone.

I do like the iPad Mini, but already have an iPad. I may take a look at them, and pick up one with 5G, it may save me from carrying a laptop around.

But overall a rather dull show without any real big surprises. Each year it will be the faster I whatever and the best new camera on an i whatever as well.

The one feature that surprised me out of the whole presentation was the USB C port on the iPad mini.

Then again, I nodded off just before the iPhone announcements...

Wow... not impressed with the new Apple Watch, the screen looks great, but the only real new feature is it will tell you that you fell off your bike. I was expecting better battery life, when it is still the same battery life. I was all gung ho to get one, but now seeing this I may just hang on to my Series 4.
View it again. Bike fall is not new. Fall detection has been around since AW5. I have it on mine. It is a PIA in some cases so maybe they fixed it. If you are in an audience and give applause, it may trigger the fall detection. It also gets triggered when I use my hedge trimmers.

If I shut off always on display I normally get 44 hours on AW5 even though Apple specs sat one day. Battery 100% to 30% in 44hours. My wife gets about the same and we use the watch more than the iphone for answering calls.

I'm good on my series 5 and wife has a series 6. I will probably hang onto it until they add a face camera and display for Facetime. My grandkids are hooked on Facetime now. The face camera for the watch doesn't need to be high quality so it seems possible. The wristcam I showed you has something similar but I haven't tested it yet.

I agree, with my present compliment of Apple lineup, nothing made me want to jump on board. Maybe next year to trade in my iphone 11 Pro Max. I did like some of the new pro camera features but overall nothing in the 13 makes me want to buy this year.

Overall, disappointment! Seems Apple R&D in Health is more about a 25-30 year old staying in shape than our segment of society who aren't able to do Yoga on top of El Capitan after doing a vertical free climb. I'm lucky if I can do one pull up with my right arm because my left is limited in overhead reach and strength due to the wires running inside my chest. The ECG needs refinement because it is not stable on people with pacemakers. It works 20% of the time. I have to catch it while the pacemaker is not pacing. That is rare for me. The O2 meter does work which I like. Now design an apple watch with a BP measurement and I'll even buy an Apple band if that is necessary.

Well then Don, its sad that the main focus of the Apple Watch was a feature which has already been in there. Lol. I mean they talked about it a lot.

On my series 4 I get a day out of it, I take it off and charge it when I am in the shower.

The only thing that missing from the 4 to the 6 is the Oxygen Levels.

Was just very underwhelmed by the entire thing.

Reactions: TheForce
Well I didn't fall asleep. Apparently I have a much higher metabolism level. :) I was also following the stock during the presentation and Wall Street market movers were not excited either but not greatly disappointed. Stock fell off but not anymore than other stocks. Was a down day for all tech.

More thinking on iphone camera innovation. :

Why has Apple spent so much effort trying to give the masses professional level capability like rack focus. Would my wife use that? Better question would I use that given that I was a professional videographer for 18 years? Too much effort spent on something that very few have any interest in using. I think Apple team may be losing sight of what people would like to have. Make an AW with Facetime in the AW8.
Give us solid state battery for higher energy density.

Make the health features suitable for all age groups and health levels.
Develop a blood sugar test for diabetics.
How about an ipad that doubles as a scales and measures weight and BMI. Put your ipad on the floor and stand on it.

There is so much Apple could be doing but they seem to be spending too much on stuff that appeals to a small segment of the population.

I use the Free Style Libre, and expected if the Apple watch could check sugar levels that it would work about the same way, with me having to wear a replace the sensor every 2 weeks.

But that didn't bother me that it was not included this time, as I can check my numbers on my iPhone.

But I was disappointed no improvement in the battery life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts