News from Apple this week

Interesting pair of articles from 9to5 Mac website. The first basically says that Apple has lost so may chip designers that there isn't anyone left to innovate which is why Apple was comparing the new iPhone 13 models' performance with Android competitors instead of last year's iPhones.

Then, this article saying that yes indeed, this year's iPhone 13 is half-again as fast as the iPhone 12 (when looking at Graphics performance):

Last edited:
I am going to go with the 13 Pro Max, not because I want or need the pro camera and all the camera bells and whistles but because I want the bigger display (and having the 120 hz screen won't hurt) and the better battery life.

I was going to go with the 256 GB version but am now looking at the 128 GB, as the iPhone 11 I have now is 128 GB and I am using less than half, and most of it is old pictures of the dogs and puppies which I have elsewhere so I could free up a lot of space. by removing them. Sure i wont get to do 4K Prores on the 128 GB, but in thinking about it, I am ok with that as I never shoot in 4K anyways and all the stuff I do shoot for broadcast television, 1080 works great for me. Yeah its cool to say you shot something for TV in 4K bust since no one will see it that way when its broadcast, does it really matter.

Honestly if they had the iPhone 13 in the 6.9 inch size I would get one of those.

Now I am considering the iPod mini with 5G, as this would allow me to leave my laptop at home instead of always carrying it with me. This would allow me to do everything no matter where I am, and when I need desktop access I can always login to a desktop with Remote Desktop on the iPad mini. There are very few times I need remote desktop access though, so this would work nicely for me and lighten my load daily. :)

Reactions: Foxbat
I have my pre-order in for an iPhone 13 128 GB. My iDevices will let me know 15 minutes before the window opens for orders Friday at 5am PDT. Fingers-crossed I can get it and not have to wait. The battery life with iOS 14.8 seems “worse” on my iPhone 8 for some reason:rolleyes:

Reactions: mackie99
I have my pre-order in for an iPhone 13 128 GB. My iDevices will let me know 15 minutes before the window opens for orders Friday at 5am PDT. Fingers-crossed I can get it and not have to wait. The battery life with iOS 14.8 seems “worse” on my iPhone 8 for some reason:rolleyes:
Me too. I'm only upgrading because Apple will give me $790 for my 12 Max Pro and I have enough to cover the rest in my Apple Cash account from my Apple Card.

mackie99, did you get your order in? The Apple Store was a few minutes late but I was able to complete my order and make any last minute changes before I put it in about five minutes after the hour. It’s set for delivery in a week!

mackie99, did you get your order in? The Apple Store was a few minutes late but I was able to complete my order and make any last minute changes before I put it in about five minutes after the hour. It’s set for delivery in a week!
I did. At 5:02 am. It will deliver next Friday. :). I used the app and not the web. The web always comes up a few minutes later.

Got my order in about 15 minutes past the hour via the app. It did make me enter my CC info again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be ordering but am holding off. First I want to play with a new iPad Mini with 5G.

Second I have found on New iPhones you can easily walk in and buy one a few weeks after release sometimes getting them before people who preordered them. The initial rush is the big issue and I can wait a few weeks, my current phone is working fine.

Got my order in about 15 minutes past the hour via the app. It did make me enter my CC info again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you pre-register and they still had you put in your cc info? I always get an error with my shipping address for some reason.

Did you pre-register and they still had you put in your cc info? I always get an error with my shipping address for some reason.

Yup, filled everything out Tuesday evening. IIRC it already had my CC info filled in. No biggie.

Both the phone and the Mini are supposed to show up next Friday.

I used the Apple Store App and ApplePay on my iPad. I got my iPhone 8 three years back after the iPhone XS was announced and they had dropped the price $100. As I mentioned earlier, getting the previous year’s iPhone wasn’t making any sense, but that was looking at the pricing before the 13 was available to pre-order. The price delta between the 128 GB iPhone 12 and 128 GB iPhone 13 is now $50 ($749 vs $799), but that extra $50 gets you the bigger battery, sensor-shift OIS for the primary cameras, brighter OLED screen, smaller FaceID notch, and the A15 processor. Plus, the (product) RED red is a deeper red than the iPhone 12’s red.

I was going to go with the 256 GB version but am now looking at the 128 GB, as the iPhone 11
I over bought my 11 Pro Max with 512GB. I normally use about 180GB when we travel but then after I'm home and log into unlimited data all those high res pictures and video are off loaded. So the next iphone I get will be 256GB. If it's a problem I'll just dump a bunch of pictures to an SD card. It's pretty easy to do with a special adapter and the Files app. Much cheaper than paying for the additional internal storage.

I agree with you on the large screen size. I had perfect vision until I had that problem when I was 57. Now I have to wear glasses but can read most of the print on the 11 Pro Max screen.

I Bought two 13 pro max 256 . Upgrading my 8 plus and my daughters xs max . Shipping is in 3-4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Interesting pair of articles from 9to5 Mac website. The first basically says that Apple has lost so may chip designers that there isn't anyone left to innovate which is why Apple was comparing the new iPhone 13 models' performance with Adroid competitors instead of last year's iPhones.
There's a YouTube video put together that lays out the performance differences using the iPad as a test mule for the various A1x chips:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpotUvPcvuo

The upshot is that the CPU performance is probably unchanged from the A14 and the GPU performance of the 4 GPU models is up perhaps 35%.

Too bad Apple doesn't offer a "big button" version of the iPhone for people who don't use their glasses.

(Gah! I misspelled “Android“ (fixed)).

It will be interesting to see the Geek Bench numbers after the production iPhone 13 units start arriving in reviewers’ hands.

(Gah! I misspelled “Android“ (fixed)).

It will be interesting to see the Geek Bench numbers after the production iPhone 13 units start arriving in reviewers’ hands.

They are already out there. I know someone who has a 13 and iPad mini already.

They can’t post anything yet not sure when the embargo is up on those reviews.

He told me not worth upgrading to if you are coming from a 12 but worth it if you have an 11.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

He told me not worth upgrading to if you are coming from a 12 but worth it if you have an 11.
What naysayers don't understand is that most of us, even a few power users ( I was one in my video production and animation days) care more about Convenience, Compatibility, Cost. The 3 C's. than we do about mow many nits the screen has or whether the screen is HDR or not, or how many processor cores we have. The most technical I care to know is the storage space and how long the battery lasts. We are not trying to mine bitcoin on our iphones. Get it? No you probably don't. Not necessarily you Scott but you know who I'm talking about.

I want my iphone to perform like my microwave oven. Push a button and it just works. Voice a command and it just works. Push another app and I can see the state of charge on my Tesla, or open the windows, doors trunk and close them. see at a glance what my top investments are doing right now. What is weather radar saying- do I need an umbrella in 3 hours? Where are my two cars at right now. Is my wife speeding? How many charger stations are open right now. Text messages, Face Time screen out spam from my email. Remote desktop to my home computer, monitor my security cameras. I could go on and on not to mention health information and the Apple watch added features. If it works with an A12 or an A66 I don't f'n care. The 3 C's is what matters to me. I have several 3rd party functions I use daily that post- "For iphone only as our Android version is not ready yet."

Bottom line- my 11 Pro Max does all I currently want from it. I do want more from my Apple Watch but the AW7 is not there yet. I want a FaceTime camera and live Facetime watch display.

What naysayers don't understand is that most of us, even a few power users ( I was one in my video production and animation days) care more about Convenience, Compatibility, Cost. The 3 C's. than we do about mow many nits the screen has or whether the screen is HDR or not, or how many processor cores we have. The most technical I care to know is the storage space and how long the battery lasts. We are not trying to mine bitcoin on our iphones. Get it? No you probably don't. Not necessarily you Scott but you know who I'm talking about.

I want my iphone to perform like my microwave oven. Push a button and it just works. Voice a command and it just works. Push another app and I can see the state of charge on my Tesla, or open the windows, doors trunk and close them. see at a glance what my top investments are doing right now. What is weather radar saying- do I need an umbrella in 3 hours? Where are my two cars at right now. Is my wife speeding? How many charger stations are open right now. Text messages, Face Time screen out spam from my email. Remote desktop to my home computer, monitor my security cameras. I could go on and on not to mention health information and the Apple watch added features. If it works with an A12 or an A66 I don't f'n care. The 3 C's is what matters to me. I have several 3rd party functions I use daily that post- "For iphone only as our Android version is not ready yet."

Bottom line- my 11 Pro Max does all I currently want from it. I do want more from my Apple Watch but the AW7 is not there yet. I want a FaceTime camera and live Facetime watch display.
Thats a little too much info

You skipped over some of the biggest changes, the camera system. With a Europe and Alaska trip coming up before the next upgrade cycle it was worth it for us to upgrade from 11 Pro’s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts