News from Apple this week

Started the upgrade procedure for the 12 Pro. Can't complete until Friday morning. Was considering the mini but I do use the telephoto on my 11 Pro pretty regularly.

Reactions: Foxbat
In reviewing my past experience with the trade-in process for a leased iphone upgrade. The way it worked was they gave me a credit on my Apple Pay account which I used to make future payments on the iphone I traded in until it ran out. I still had to make the contractual monthly payment to CitizenOne. So, if I do the same deal it looks like I may have to pay off my current iphone with the trade-in credit Plus about $250 still owed. So the deal isn't as sweet as thought. Not sure what the trade-in will be when the break even month will be next year. Note- I like my 11 pro max just fine so I really don't need to be upgrading right away.
My wife has a Gen 1 SE and she would benefit much more with a 12 mini so that might be the better way to go. She doesn't even need the added storage cost.

Reactions: navychop
Mrs. Foxbat is using a refurbished iPhone X that Apple sent to replace my son’s old X that went swimming with him. He ended up with an Apple refurbished XS to replace it, and he was supposed to have gotten it replaced under AppleCare+ for $99, then Gazelled it for a couple hundred bucks. He didn’t and left it behind when he left for college. I reported on the “Best”Buy experience elsewhere. An iPhone X for $99 and whatever we sent him in compensation beat any new device.

She would have been happy with the new SE, but that’s because she was struggling to get through the day with her 1st gen SE. Now, she says she can go a couple of days between charging the X and it also finds a T-Mobile signal in her office so the radios don’t have to hunt, saving battery.

Reactions: frank c.
Still debating on buying the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, happy with my XS Max. Called T-Mobile yesterday to inquire about their 5G coverage here on the Big Island, they said their 5G coverage is comparable to their 4G coverage. If that’s true I’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I’d love to know if that’s true. I’m thinking: Not Yet.

I’ll wait at least another year, probably longer, before upgrading. And I’ll only do that if we have a 5G (or otherwise better signal) at our trailer.

Coverage maps are, in my experience, so “optimistic” as to be useless.

Reactions: Foxbat and frank c.
5G isn’t really a consideration for me on upgrading. AT&T, my long time carrier, last I checked, is only allowing 5G access if you are on an unlimited data plan. I have no need for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am holding off. My speeds on 4G are good enough for me. Its not uncommon for me to get 120 Mbps in speed tests on T mobile,

In fact in testing 5G in my area on other devices, the 4G is 3 to 4 times faster then the current 5G service T Mobile has.

So no big excitement to upgrade to 5G at this point. 5G will get there someday, but its nowhere near ready yet.

Being able to shoot video in Dolby Vision is cool on the Max Pro. But how do you display it? You can't upload them to YouTube and watch them back in Dolby Vision. Sure I can play them back on an Apple TV 4K, which is good for family home videos. But the videos I shoot I want the world to see, how do I get them out so people can see them in Dolby Vision.

I will stick with my iPhone 11 for now.

Reactions: TheForce
Went to Apple store this morning and after waiting in line for about 10 minutes to get an appointment, I was told no iphone 12's on display until November.

No rush here so we wait until next month.

After refreshing my memory on how the upgrade process worked, I am less enthusiast about getting a replacement for my iphone 11 Max Pro. My wife will order the 12 mini however. I'll just pay for it with some profits on a few shares of Apple stock she has in her IRA. I need to do an RMD next year anyway.

I don't expect much on 5G either. We have Verizon and milimeter band is only going to work here if I go to an NFL game and decided to watch the closeups on 11 cameras at the same time. Last time I went to a football game here I was a north tower cameraman. Long time ago! Just not my thing.

I was fascinated to try the Lidar for low light level.

I expect more out of T-Mobile’s 5G in the 600 band. Longer range, but only slightly better than 4G.

This article over on MacRumors has a pretty good breakdown on the differences between the four iPhone 12 variants:

Also, Geekbench is posting the first results from iPhone 12 results. When I saw the single-code and multi-core results, I then checked against some 6-core Intel CPU results. Apple's decision to implement Apple Silicon for the Macintosh computer line may actually work:
ProcessorSingle-Core Geekbench ResultMulti-Core Geekbench Result
iPhone 12 A14 Bionic (6-Core) 3.0 GHz1,5873,835
Intel Core i7-8086K (6-Core) 4.0 GHz1,3287,078
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 (6-Core) 2.4 GHz7103,958

The Intel CPUs have HyperThreading, so that will inflate their multi-core scores. The Xeon CPU is a server-class processor which I picked based on its Multi-Core Geekbench score being close to the A14 score and it having six cores.

While I was there, I checked on the score for my iPhone 8: 908(SC) and 1,878(MC) for its 2.4 GHz A11 Bionic 6-Core CPU. It's not just the fast clock speed that makes the difference.

Finally, Sandy Munro weighed in on Apple's decision to leave out the charger brick and EarPods from the iPhone 12 packaging:

Has anyone heard about this problem with the new iPhone 12. It seems that if you’re a user of “Dual Sim” like I am, 5G will not be available on either line when in dual sim mode, only 4G LTE when both lines are active. According to what I read on Mac Rumors Apple is supposed to correct that problem in a new software release sometime by the end of the year. I was gonna upgrade to the iPhone 12 Pro Max but now I’m probably going to hold off until this problem is corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Has anyone heard about this problem with the new iPhone 12. It seems that if you’re a user of “Dual Sim” like I am, 5G will not be available on either line when in dual sim mode, only 4G LTE when both lines are active.
I recall that this was mentioned in the debut presentation.

So, oddly for this site, there are no people saying they got one of the new iPhones.

people still getting a feel for them? Or not selling?

I believe Don has expressed his intent to get the iPhone 12 Pro Max, but they can’t be pre-ordered yet, awaiting FCC Approval.

My iPhone 8 is only two years old (to me; I bought when the price dropped $100 after the XS came out) and is still at 91% battery, so I will plan on using it another year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)