News from Apple this week

My 12 Pro is supposed to be here Wednesday. They seem to be shipping a little slower this time. Could have had it Friday if I had been willing to make an appointment at the Apple store to pick up. Nope.

New MagSafe charger showed up last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll be getting up early on 11/6 to order the pro max.
Looking forward to your review.

I have decided to hold off since the camera features aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade from my 11 Pro Max with 512GB. However, my wife is due for an upgrade from her gen 1 SE which has a weak battery. The mini is for her. We both got new AW6's in SS this year so a new 12 pro max for me is a bit out of my budget. Besides, I'm going to have a huge tax bill this year I have to prepare for. :(

Reactions: Foxbat
Looking forward to your review.

I have decided to hold off since the camera features aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade from my 11 Pro Max with 512GB. However, my wife is due for an upgrade from her gen 1 SE which has a weak battery. The mini is for her. We both got new AW6's in SS this year so a new 12 pro max for me is a bit out of my budget. Besides, I'm going to have a huge tax bill this year I have to prepare for. :(
With what apple is giving me for my 11 Pro Max and the money back from the Apple Card, I'll be paying about $60 plus taxes. This is what I was saving the Apple Cash for. :)

Did you get a ruling on the CitizenOne loan on the Pro Max 11? If I traded my 11 in they give me $500, but I still owe a balance of $720 so The difference would be $220 out of pocket plus the new financing on the 12. The new every two is best if you wait for the 2 years but they make it sound like you can do new every year. You can but it's an added expense.

Of course if you paid cash for your 11 then you would be taking a depreciated beating on your cash position too. There is no winning strategy except by keeping the older phone and having someone in your family make use of it. That's what we have been doing with the watches.

Apple Cash is a wash because you could use that for anything. Not many places take Apple cash here so I never have much in that account.

Did you get a ruling on the CitizenOne loan on the Pro Max 11? If I traded my 11 in they give me $500, but I still owe a balance of $720 so The difference would be $220 out of pocket plus the new financing on the 12. The new every two is best if you wait for the 2 years but they make it sound like you can do new every year. You can but it's an added expense.

Of course if you paid cash for your 11 then you would be taking a depreciated beating on your cash position too. There is no winning strategy except by keeping the older phone and having someone in your family make use of it. That's what we have been doing with the watches.

Apple Cash is a wash because you could use that for anything. Not many places take Apple cash here so I never have much in that account.
I buy mine outright. I got $600 off last year so only paid $500 plus taxes. This will probably be the last time I upgrade every year. I'll wait two - three years for the next upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheForce
I buy mine outright.

I did too up until the 10 came out and they had that New every two deal. I felt it was a better deal because of no interest and the Apple cash back made it negative interest. But new every one year, not so good as it was last year.

I did too up until the 10 came out and they had that New every two deal. I felt it was a better deal because of no interest and the Apple cash back made it negative interest. But new every one year, not so good as it was last year.
I'll look into that next time I upgrade if they still have that program by then.

While this has nothing to do with the new iPhone 12 lineup, my son was the recipient of the “Apple is Awesome” treatment. He had bought a refurbished 128 GBiPhone XS Max to replace his iPhone X that he took swimming this summer. The iPhone X still worked, except the FaceID stopped working. Well, three months later and FaceID on his iPhone XS starts acting up. (He thinks he’s got a face that breaks FaceID, but he shares his Mom’s good looks, so I know that can’t be it.)

After getting on an iMessage support call with Apple, he got set up with a Genius Bar appointment in the Indianapolis Apple Store. After running diagnostics, they verified that yep, his FaceID was no good. At this point he was expecting that he would have been given another iPhone XS Max, but the store didn’t have any 128 GB XS replacements in stock. So they gave him a 128 GB Space Grey iPhone 11 Pro Max instead!

Needless to say, Apple made him a happy camper! When he shared this with us, my first thought was “well, guess who needs to buy a new iPhone 11 Pro Max case?” So Apple did make a little money off of the replacement.

Reactions: tigerfan33
My 12 Pro is supposed to be here Wednesday. They seem to be shipping a little slower this time. Could have had it Friday if I had been willing to make an appointment at the Apple store to pick up. Nope.

New MagSafe charger showed up last week.

Now UPS says Thursday. Don't think I believe them since they say it is in Kentucky right now. UPS has been less dependable for me lately.

IMG_0890.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised, the Apple logo is practically invisible. How are you supposed to impress your envious neighbors if they can’t see the shiny chrome Apple?;)

• Haha
Reactions: mackie99
I’m surprised, the Apple logo is practically invisible. How are you supposed to impress your envious neighbors if they can’t see the shiny chrome Apple?;)

The logo is a bit less reflective than on my 11. Might vary with color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife and I received our 12 Pro phones this afternoon. We upgraded our two SE phones. Both came with an Apple decal, but I'm not putting that thing on MY high dollar phone. I feel really dumb paying that much for a phone anyway, but c'est la vie.

Wife and I received our 12 Pro phones this afternoon. We upgraded our two SE phones. Both came with an Apple decal, but I'm not putting that thing on MY high dollar phone. I feel really dumb paying that much for a phone anyway, but c'est la vie.

I believe that decal is intended for your car window. No, I never put one on my windows.

Not really news, but my 12 yr old grandson showed me a feature I didn't know existed.

We did a facetime session last evening. What was new to me is Facetime works with multiple people at the same time. So we had 4 connections with little windows open at the same time. I don't know what the limit is but the quality was great and not a single glitch. We had my iphone two ipads and one iMAC in the group. My grandson became familiar with Zoom at school last year and he says this is much better. Of course, Facetime is limited to Apple products while Zoom is multiplatform.

As I found out, it doesn’t work with older FaceTime clients like my iPad Air which can’t run past iOS 12. I had multi-person audio, but no video.

Latest iOS 14.5 and wOS 7.4 will allow those with facial recognition to now unlock their iphones with Face ID and wearing a mask.

The way it works is you have to be wearing your Apple watch and unlocked with the watch code. Then activate the feature in the iphone general Face ID and passcode settings. It takes a few seconds to activate. I tested it and it works really well. So nice to be able to open my iphone with face ID wearing a mask now.

It's about time, just when mask wearing is getting obsolete but still required in many places.

Reactions: Foxbat and frank c.