News from Apple this week

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Didn't mean to put any buyers on the defensive or defend Apple's game plans for next gen iphones. I was only saying that the under the covers iphone upgrades don't matter to ME as long as it works without thinking about the tech engineering . The 11 is doing everything I need to do for what I use it for.

Most of the time when traveling to new and interesting places I prefer a more pro level camera, especially one that shoots 3D or VR 180 3D or VR360 3D. rad- check out my Alaska videos on YT. May give you some ideas on what to do on your trip.

No problem, your post made it sound like it was only coming down to performance and screen and nothing about all the camera improvements.

I have a good camera, Canon 7D Mark II that I use but sometimes you just don't have it with you and you want to get that picture, which the new iPhones will do a better job with then the prior iPhone 11 Pro.

No problem, your post made it sound like it was only coming down to performance and screen and nothing about all the camera improvements.

I have a good camera, Canon 7D Mark II that I use but sometimes you just don't have it with you and you want to get that picture, which the new iPhones will do a better job with then the prior iPhone 11 Pro.
Yes and that's what I enjoy about the iphone camera that I have. I am never unhappy with the quality of the 11 and it is with me 99% of the time for capturing the moment. But I rarely use it for planned production shooting. I really don't recall ever using it for that purpose. I do recognize the new rack focus that is pretty clever the way it works. However, those new professional videographer's features I used often when working in my business for scripted TV shows and commercials I can still do with my arsenal of specialty cameras but most of the time, what I do with a phone camera is just to grab a quick picture of something like a product label in a store, or similar.

The new feature shooting in Prores will appeal to many who shoot with challenging contrast and color issues. I don't use Final Cut Pro for editing, rather Adobe Premiere Pro which has Prores Raw source capability too. When this first came out with the GoPro action cameras, I began to use it and developed a number of custom color gamut's for my shooting, especially underwater footage. I am curious if Apple has added this to their in phone image editor. It should if the camera can shoot Prores.
Here is a brief explanation of how Adobe Premiere Pro has been working with raw image files. They also have a number of presets to edit the color gamut. Note that rendering times of these files requires a powerful computer and very fast memory.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX4MVSGUZ44

iOS 15 is available. Since I am replacing my phone and mini iPad this week I won't bother updating those.
If you update to it, them move to your 13 Apple will give you unlimited icloud space for 3 weeks so you can transfer everything from one to the other at no charge.

Reactions: klang
Hey Scott- your opinion please.
I've always done my transfers via the cable to my iMAC. It seems faster. Is icloud transfer / backup easier and faster now?

Hey Scott- your opinion please.
I've always done my transfers via the cable to my iMAC. It seems faster. Is icloud transfer / backup easier and faster now?
With 5G... it CAN be faster. You know pick up your phone from the Apple store and have it restored and ready on your way home.

But that all depends on your local network.

I wish these things had USB-C, as I said before if you shoot pro res it may take a long time to copy 250+ GB off the phone with lightning. :D (like over 8 hours)

Thanks for the info. We don't have 5G around here. Mary Ann has the new 5G iphone and when we were in PA in July, it went on automatically but kept jumping back to LTE , so it wasn't a solid connection.

Only time I shoot raw 4K or 5.7K 60fps, is with cameras that have very fast micro SD cards and I just pull those out and stick them in the slot in my desktop for transfer to a M.2 NVMe Samsung 980 stick. Much faster than a SSD drive.

iOS 15.0 dropped on Monday. I wasn’t expecting it, and I wasn’t sure if I should load it on my iPhone right now or wait. I ended up installing it Monday night on my iPad nothing G6 AND my iPhone 8 (gah!).

So far, the biggest problem I have is Safari on the iPhone places the Address field at the bottom of the screen (opposite where it was and where it is on the iPad) so I have to relearn where to press to reload the page. And on my iPhone, even though I cleared off some large videos, I still have a warning that I am close to exceeding my 64 GB capacity with 54.9 GB of local media and App storage.

On the iPad, the new Widgets on the Home Screen messed with my Apps placement so I will need to spend a little time to get re-organized.

Last edited:
iOS 15.0 dropped on Monday. I wasn’t expecting it, and I wasn’t sure if I should load it on my iPhone right now or wait. I ended up installing it Monday night on my iPad nothing G6 AND my iPhone 8 (gah!).

So far, the biggest problem I have is Safari on the iPhone places the Address field at the bottom of the screen (opposite where it was and where it is on the iPad) so I have to relearn where to press to reload the page. And on my iPhone, even though I cleared off some large videos, I still have a warning that I am close to exceeding my 64 GB capacity with 54.9 GB of local media and App storage.

On the iPad, the new Widgets on the Home Screen messed with my Apps placement so I will need to spend a little time to get re-organized.

You can put the address field back to the top by tapping on aA in the field then tap on Show Top Address Bar.

Reactions: rad and Foxbat
Thanks, tigerfan33 that does the trick!

Of course, now the SatelliteGuys header parks itself at the top, but soon it won’t be as big a deal with the taller screen on the new phone.:)

Reactions: tigerfan33
Oh, well, so much for playing with my new phone this weekend… I have to wait until Monday because I couldn’t leave work soon enough. They said 7pm, and it’s not even 6pm yet.

Of course I’m still at work, so what do I expect? Unfortunately, the option to ship to and pick it up at the Apple Store wasn’t available.

Reactions: frank c.
Did I say Monday? I meant Tuesday. UPS tried another delivery today, even after the tracking page said the next attempt wouldn’t be made made until Monday. At least with FedEx I could contact them and have them hold a shipment at the Airport location.

Very unhappy with Apple’s change in shipper. And worse, I could have walked into our Apple Store and walked out with the desired phone today.

Reactions: frank c.
Very unhappy with Apple’s change in shipper. And worse, I could have walked into our Apple Store and walked out with the desired phone today.
I wonder if they have totally changed to UPS?

My phone and Mini showed up at a reasonable time for a change. My UPS deliveries are usually late.

If you are signed up for UPS My Choice you can request a package be held at a UPS store. I do that all the time with wine shipments as in CO an adult signature is required and I don't like waiting around all day.

If you are signed up for UPS My Choice you can request a package be held at a UPS store. I do that all the time with wine shipments as in CO an adult signature is required and I don't like waiting around all day
I signed up for that. The problem I have with that is UPS indicated they would charge me $15 to make a change to the delivery location or time.

We had to drive to the dealership for an oil change this morning or I would have been home to sign for the phone. I had signed the delivery tag but since it wasn’t scheduled for delivery until Monday, I had it stuck on the inside of the door to put out on Monday.

I received the email from UPS saying it was out for delivery, but I was 20 miles away with no car when it arrived.

I signed up for that. The problem I have with that is UPS indicated they would charge me $15 to make a change to the delivery location or time.

We had to drive to the dealership for an oil change this morning or I would have been home to sign for the phone. I had signed the delivery tag but since it wasn’t scheduled for delivery until Monday, I had it stuck on the inside of the door to put out on Monday.

I received the email from UPS saying it was out for delivery, but I was 20 miles away with no car when it arrived.

Yours was signature required? Mine were not although I made sure I was home just in case. Heck they didn't even ring the doorbell.

Yours was signature required? Mine were not although I made sure I was home just in case. Heck they didn't even ring the doorbell.
When UPS delivered ours he said he had to hand them to someone, no signature but couldn’t just leave them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)