News from Apple this week

At least with FedEx I could contact them and have them hold a shipment at the Airport location.
In my area, FedEx isn't allowing pick-up due to "COVID-19 restrictions". All three of their divisions (Express, Ground and Freight) seem to be crumbling.

I was able to get out of work in time to get to UPS before they closed. In the old days it wasn’t as easy as this:
039B67D5-A557-4692-8FFE-306359046A8E.jpeg

The (PRODECT)RED color has a real deepness to the sides that I wasn’t expecting. A shame to put it in a case…

Reactions: frank c.
I was able to get out of work in time to get to UPS before they closed. In the old days it wasn’t as easy as this:

The (PRODECT)RED color has a real deepness to the sides that I wasn’t expecting. A shame to put it in a case…

I thought about upgrading from my iPhone 12 Pro to the 13 Pro but changed my mind, not much difference between them. Besides my 12 isn’t even a year old yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the reviewers were saying the iPhone 13 wasn’t enough of an upgrade from the 12 to justify the move. Coming from the 8, the question was more was the Pro worth the extra $200? In my case, I didn’t think so. Plus, the (Product)Red wasn’t available in the Pro version and the blue wasn’t deep enough for my tastes.

So, I’m slowly picking up the swipe up from the bottom to return to the Home Screen or select the App Switcher. Then I found the Accessibility settings for Tap on Back, so now a double-back-tap brings up the App Switcher. And while I was at it, a triple back-tap activates the Camera App.

I do need to make another hack at my center console tray on my Escape. I had to widen the notch when I went from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 (the 8 had the same dimensions) and with the 13 being just the much wider, it’s Knives Out time… ;)

edit: I updated to iOS 15.0.1 which fixes the bogus “Out of Storage” warning on some iPhones (I had that on my iPhone 8 before I wiped it). Also, I just packed up my trusty iPhone 8 for its trip back to Apple. For some reason the return box took over a week via FedEx Ground to go from PA to IN.

Last edited:
Most of the reviewers were saying the iPhone 13 wasn’t enough of an upgrade from the 12 to justify the move. Coming from the 8, the question was more was the Pro worth the extra $200? In my case, I didn’t think so. Plus, the (Product)Red wasn’t available in the Pro version and the blue wasn’t deep enough for my tastes.
If the camera is important to you here's a good comparison of various old vs new models, iPhone 13 Camera Comparison: If You Have an Older iPhone, It's Time to Upgrade

Reactions: Foxbat
I do need to make another hack at my center console tray on my Escape. I had to widen the notch when I went from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 (the 8 had the same dimensions) and with the 13 being just the much wider, it’s Knives Out time… ;)
The operation was a success, but now I literally bump up against my next obstacle, the cover latch makes contact with the Lightning connector on my 12” USB-A to Lightning cable. The extra 8.3 mm length is significant and prevents me from closing the padded armrest cover to the center console with the current cable. Amazon now has a wide selection of Lightning cables with a 90° cable exit which should address that. If I had gone with the iPhone 13 Mini it wouldn’t have been an issue as the physical dimensions are smaller in length and width than the 8, but a millimeter thicker. And $100 less money than the iPhone 13.

The 6.1” screen on my 13 is nice after living with the 4.7” screen on the iPhone 8.
edit: I updated to iOS 15.0.1 which fixes the bogus “Out of Storage” warning on some iPhones (I had that on my iPhone 8 before I wiped it). Also, I just packed up my trusty iPhone 8 for its trip back to Apple. For some reason the return box took over a week via FedEx Ground to go from PA to IN.
I now have a second return box (!) that arrived much quicker than the first. If I still had the first box, I guess I could put it in the 2nd one! ;)

I now have a second return box (!) that arrived much quicker than the first. If I still had the first box, I guess I could put it in the 2nd one! ;)
So, I got an email from Apple that asked if I was still thinking of trading in my iPhone 8. Since I dropped off the iPhone 8 in a FedEx drop box outside our local Staples, you can imagine my concern. I contacted Apple via the iMessage chat and tried to find out what’s going on. My big question is who has my iPhone 8?

This has been the screwiest Apple transaction I’ve ever had. The iPhone 13 is great so far, but getting it has been a very non-Apple-like experience.

So, I got an email from Apple that asked if I was still thinking of trading in my iPhone 8. Since I dropped off the iPhone 8 in a FedEx drop box outside our local Staples, you can imagine my concern. I contacted Apple via the iMessage chat and tried to find out what’s going on. My big question is who has my iPhone 8?

This has been the screwiest Apple transaction I’ve ever had. The iPhone 13 is great so far, but getting it has been a very non-Apple-like experience.
Don’t you have the tracking number for the return and get a receipt for dropping it off?

Don’t you have the tracking number for the return and get a receipt for dropping it off?
The drop boxes I've seen don't have any facility to issue receipts or tracking numbers. They're just squarish mailboxes and can be used with FedEx Express or FedEx Ground.

The drop boxes I've seen don't have any facility to issue receipts or tracking numbers. They're just squarish mailboxes and can be used with FedEx Express or FedEx Ground.
That’s his fault for not taking the few minutes to go into a store and get a receipt for dropping it off.

I dropped off a phone and an iPad mini for trade ins on the 30th. Heard back on the 6th they had received the iPad. Nothing on the phone yet. One was UPS and one was Fedex. Don't remember which was which anymore.

You must have missed the part about the reduced store hours.
Again, sorry, if he didn’t make the effort to get the receipt showing he shipped the item he missed the chance to prove he returned it. When I returned my iPhones on trade in you bet it gets dropped at a UPS store, they’re all over, and they the receipt showing it was dropped off.

Again, sorry, if he didn’t make the effort to get the receipt showing he shipped the item he missed the chance to prove he returned it. When I returned my iPhones on trade in you bet it gets dropped at a UPS store, they’re all over, and they the receipt showing it was dropped off.
Yeah, you’re right, I’ve been whiny about my new phone experience. Normally I would do all of this by going in to our local Apple Store and in hindsight, that’s what I should have done.

And I wanted to get the iPhone back to Apple and I should have taken a picture of the shipping label before I dropped it off at the FedEx box, then I would have something to track. But I didn’t.

Yeah, you’re right, I’ve been whiny about my new phone experience. Normally I would do all of this by going in to our local Apple Store and in hindsight, that’s what I should have done.

And I wanted to get the iPhone back to Apple and I should have taken a picture of the shipping label before I dropped it off at the FedEx box, then I would have something to track. But I didn’t.
Sorry if I was a bit harsh. Hopefully it will show up eventually. If you ordered it via the Apple store did you try contacting them to see if they could get you the tracking number for the return package? Hopefully they'll be able to get that for you and find out where it is.

Did they email you return instructions? Usually the tracking number is in there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
For mine I checked the e-mails, the UPS tracking number for the return isn't listed anywhere. The return package has the return label but doesn't have the little tear off strip on the bottom that has the tracking number on it, so you need to take a pic of it or write it down yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts