Nexstar buys Media General

I know alot of people and tv stations are nervous about the merger. If a station is getting sold out this thats a good thing at least for subchannel viewing. On another note. Nexstar should just go and buy Cordillera so they can sell KATC to another group. I mean this meadia group is so dead its like they dont exist. They're like the only group that hasn't produced an agreement with a subchannel.

Nexstar should just go and buy Cordillera so they can sell KATC to another group. I mean this meadia group is so dead its like they dont exist. They're like the only group that hasn't produced an agreement with a subchannel.

That seems asinine. Why buy something if you are forced to sell parts of it immediately?

Cordillersa has a deal with CW where there wasnt one already. They carry 2 HD stations and they are pretty content with what they have. They use the theory if it aint broke dont worry about it

That seems asinine. Why buy something if you are forced to sell parts of it immediately?

Cordillersa has a deal with CW where there wasnt one already. They carry 2 HD stations and they are pretty content with what they have. They use the theory if it aint broke dont worry about it
True. But they could at least add a subchannel just saying

as for the LP NBC it is kinda smart for Nexstar. previously they had to compete on local cable for NBC with another out of market NBC (KPLC). So the fact they got the NBC locally (even if its a glorified translator of Baton Rouge NBC), they got the "distant" NBC bumped off cable

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I am not sure this belongs here but....... I understand thata Nexstar property---WHAG in Hagerstown, MD will be losing its NBC affiliation and going indy in a few months. NBC universal seems to be cleaning house a bit.

Doubt they will. If you look at their portfolio they have 3 markets where they dont have the CW (and those are taken elsewhere). Otherwise they have just CW in their other 9 markets (mainly in Montana)
The Arizona affiliate has Cozi, WLEX has Me and the rest have CW there might be a couple stand alone stations. With maybe 17 stations I have'nt seen any media group try to make a cash deal to their owner (Evening Post Industries) in some time so they must have some kinda power up in Minnesota. Its good though I can get the Saints games on KATC CW 3.2 during preseason. Your right about the subchannel I don't believe Cordillera will put a classic channel on any of their stations with a .2 cw in the foreseeable future...

as for the LP NBC it is kinda smart for Nexstar. previously they had to compete on local cable for NBC with another out of market NBC (KPLC). So the fact they got the NBC locally (even if its a glorified translator of Baton Rouge NBC), they got the "distant" NBC bumped off cable

Yes it was very smart in more ways than one. We did have both KPLC and WVLA (wish they would have kept kplc then I could get GritTV on cable), which you know already from that thread you posted Lafayette getting NBC back. When the NBC launched last july, KLAF TV2 (KADN 15.2), KLAF-LD 46.1 and WVLA 33.1 had the same programming 24 hours. The local news and the programming that NBC produces is the only thing that is the same with WVLA. Like from 2-6 pm and from midnight to 5 am the programming is different.

so basically it sounds like they put up the LP station basically for NBC exclusive on cable and for the folks who couldn't get Baton Rouge NBC over the air.

I answered this already, yes but I should have finished by saying that also put on the 15.2 because 1 the LP signal has no distance, secondly for those who live in places where they cannot put up an outdoor antenna, just indoor.

Now for us folks with the 8bay outdoor or two vhf, NBC is covered all over. If you tv fool certain places you can actually get 4 NBC channels (KPLC, KALB, WVLA, KLAFTV2). I noticed alot of 8 bays around the area the last few months. If you get on rabbitears and search say KALB, KPLC, WVLA, KADN 15.2 you will see that with a good outdoor antenna most areas can get at least 3. I think most full power lafayette stations can be seen in the Alexandria, Baton Rouge, and Lake Charles markets also.

This is the tv fool for downtown breaux bridge. With a good strong vhf and the 8 bay turned the right way. You can get 5 NBC including the lp 46 which signal is stronger eastward (LIKE WVLA and the METV Acadiana Channel)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=513430570204d5

The Arizona affiliate has Cozi, WLEX has Me and the rest have CW there might be a couple stand alone stations. With maybe 17 stations I have'nt seen any media group try to make a cash deal to their owner (Evening Post Industries) in some time so they must have some kinda power up in Minnesota.
Evening post is based in South Carolina. I do know Cordillera is here in St Paul.
They could be stubborn though ;)

from their site they claim Cordillera stations are all market leaders, consistently ranking No. 1 or No. 2 in total viewership
so if someone wanted to buy them maybe they (cordillera) think their stations are worth more than what someone wants to buy them wants to pay.

Your right about the subchannel I don't believe Cordillera will put a classic channel on any of their stations with a .2 cw in the foreseeable future...
They probably want something that they could do across the board (in all their markets or most of them). Or they may be content with just the 2 stations.

When the NBC launched last july, KLAF TV2 (KADN 15.2), KLAF-LD 46.1 and WVLA 33.1 had the same programming 24 hours. The local news and the programming that NBC produces is the only thing that is the same with WVLA. Like from 2-6 pm and from midnight to 5 am the programming is different.
looking at the schedules it has to do with syndication rights. Shows in Baton Rouge may not be on the same station as Lafayette. As example the daytime schedule on NBC 33 shows
Maury (which is on FOX)
Ellen (on KATC)
Judy (KFLY)

in the case of the last 2, those other stations have the rights to those shows in your market. So the local NBC can't have show them

I answered this already, yes but I should have finished by saying that also put on the 15.2 because 1 the LP signal has no distance, secondly for those who live in places where they cannot put up an outdoor antenna, just indoor.
folks with an indoor antenna locally should be able to pick it up on the LP.
The main reason its on the full power station is **possibly** for some smaller cable companies to get the signal over the air and couldnt get it off the LP. That is possible. I know of a few podunk cable companies here in MN that lost stations when they converted to digital because they couldnt get them OTA anymore.

folks with an indoor antenna locally should be able to pick it up on the LP.
The main reason its on the full power station is **possibly** for some smaller cable companies to get the signal over the air and couldnt get it off the LP. That is possible. I know of a few podunk cable companies here in MN that lost stations when they converted to digital because they couldnt get them OTA anymore.
You would have to live really close to KLAF's tower to get 46.1 on an indoor. I know the distance is 13.1 miles from where I live but before NBC showed up last year it was hard to get even on an outdoor even at my former residence. KLAF is one of those peculiar stations where the signal reception is one sided. Alot of MNTV stations and former, such as KLAF have that.

I guess because they own NBC and run ABC there it probably is easier to keep them and sell the CBS/FOX station.

Reason I feel that way is they probably couldnt keep the JSA they already have (they are grandfathered in for now) so if they kept the CBS/FOX they would have to sell ABC & NBC to 2 different companies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)