Nexstar buys Media General

They can't and we both know why. When Nexstar signed on NBC 46 there they get the "exclusive" rights to NBC in Lafayette. Cox surely could have carried KPLC but any duplicate programming would have to be blacked out. Then you end up with like what Andy Horton has in his area (they have CBS from Atlanta on cable yet he is in the Chattanooga market) and that is a black screen outside of news.
Yeah thats true. On the other hand we still have the Baton Rouge ABC and CBS affiliate and they're programming is not blacked out just saying

I'm no expert but in the case of KLFY and WBAY, Nexstar is going to keep the Fox station. 1 for you because of the NFL team you have in the area. 2. Our fox affiliate has the NBC Low Power station and yeah we're close to the NFL team that Fox broadcasts too. KLFY and WBAY will be owned by another media group for sure...
WBAY is an ABC affiliate, WLUK is the FOX affiliate for Green Bay.
As for WFRV/WJMN, they are both CBS affiliates.

I'm no expert but in the case of KLFY and WBAY, Nexstar is going to keep the Fox station. 1 for you because of the NFL team you have in the area. 2. Our fox affiliate has the NBC Low Power station and yeah we're close to the NFL team that Fox broadcasts too. KLFY and WBAY will be owned by another media group for sure...

Yeah I know WBAY is the ABC station. I was saying Nexstar will keep the fox affiliates it owns in Green Bay and Lafayette and sell the MG stations

ummm Nexstar owns the CBS in Green Bay
Sinclair owns the FOX there

Yeah thats true. On the other hand we still have the Baton Rouge ABC and CBS affiliate and they're programming is not blacked out just saying
Not every station has to ask for syndex exclusive. After all I'm sure the CBS & ABC's have been on cable for decades. If I got the local affiliation for a network, I'm sure I would make sure there were no other affiliates of that network on cable.

As example IN Mankato, MN (90 miles SW of Minneapolis) they are a CBS & FOX only market (same owner). cable has all the Minneapolis Big 4 stations. CBS isnt blacked out yet FOX from Minneapolis is during prime time ONLY

IF they do say yes then Gray is gonna be PISSED as they just got it denied.

I dont see the FCC allowing it as for the last year plus they have been forcing companies to get rid of JSA/LMA's and new owners having to jump through hoops (like when Quincy wanted to buy Granite)

Well I know for one market the MG station is getting sold, all thanks to a lil NBC newbie....
huh?
Nexstar can continue to own both the NBC and either FOX or CBS there because the NBC is a low powered station. But they could theoretically sell the FOX and keep CBS. But I assume they (Nexstar) share some stuff between the 5 FOX stations they own in Louisiana.

I was going to ask if they (NBC) did news and if so do they use the FOX newscasters....but looking at zap2it it shows "NBC 33 News" which I take it is from Baton Rouge.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I doubt that CBS affiliate WFRV/WJMN will break up over the Nexstar-Media General merger. They are semi-satellites of one another and have been since the '70s. My prediction is that they will go to a different company, like Gray or Quincy.

I doubt that CBS affiliate WFRV/WJMN will break up over the Nexstar-Media General merger. They are semi-satellites of one another and have been since the '70s. My prediction is that they will go to a different company, like Gray or Quincy.

I dont see it going to Gray...unless they can get a satellite waiver for WJMN. They already own the NBC & FOX in Marquette (WLUC) and you can't own 2 of the top 4 stations in the market (Gray got this in a trade with Sinclair for the south bend CBS due to Gray already owning a station there and them buying Schurz)

I'm sure Nexstar will sell WBAY (the MG station) instead. Gray could buy it as they have no stations in the market

Reactions: Justin Hill
I'm sure Nexstar will sell WBAY (the MG station) instead. Gray could buy it as they have no stations in the market
I think that sounds like a more logical choice. Keep WFRV-TV Local 5 and WJMN-TV Local 3 (both are CBS) and sell TV2/Action 2 News (WBAY-TV/ABC). I'm pretty sure there's another media giant who would like have WBAY. The Gray Television could possibly buy it, and that would make it a sister station with WSAW-TV 7 (CBS), Wausau, Wisconsin and WZAW-TV (FOX) 55/7.3.

The current ownership status of the TV stations in my area:

WBAY-TV 2 (ABC) - Media General
>2-2 Weather
>2-3 Ion
WFRV-TV 5 (CBS) - Nexstar
WLUK-TV 11 (FOX) - Sinclair Broadcast Group
>11-2 Antenna TV
WCWF-TV 14 (The CW) - Sinclair Broadcast Group
>14-2 Comet
WGBA-TV 26 (NBC) - E.W. Scripps Broadcasting
>26-2 MeTV
>26-3 Laff
WACY-TV 32 (MyNetworkTV) - E. W. Scripps Broadcasting
>32-2 Grit
>32-3 Escape
WPNE-TV 38 (PBS) - State of Wisconsin Board of Education/PBS
>38-2 Wisconsin Channel
>38-3 Create

Reactions: localclassictvfan
huh?
Nexstar can continue to own both the NBC and either FOX or CBS there because the NBC is a low powered station. But they could theoretically sell the FOX and keep CBS. But I assume they (Nexstar) share some stuff between the 5 FOX stations they own in Louisiana.

I was going to ask if they (NBC) did news and if so do they use the FOX newscasters....but looking at zap2it it shows "NBC 33 News" which I take it is from Baton Rouge.
No Sir they havent started their own news team yet on KLAF still feeding of WVLA . Its been crazy with the rumors. However since Nexstar now has more cbs than any other major network your correct, as always, they could keep klfy since it's the highest rated station in the market. Most all MG stations that have get/ion are going to Nexstar anyway. But where would the NBC 46 end up. Which you answered and most likely your right. Off the record I heard a rumor that Tribune was thinking of buying KXKW 32 and taking the cw from katc and launching justice on 32.4 like WSFL of Miami but I wont hold my breath on it Crazy. I see Nexstar keeping KLFY a possibility. Now that I or we look at the broader picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)