Nexstar/Mission/White Knight dispute with DIRECTV

If the Fox 40 he’s talking about is KTXL from Sacramento (and I’m sure it is since Kyl stated it was KTXL), then it and most other Nexstar stations only stream their newscasts online, and even then they are on a two-hour delay (e.g. their 10PM newscast would stream at 12AM, but KRON, WGN, KTLA still stream their newscasts live.)

Check the station's website. You may be able to stream it.
FOX's live sports are not streamed online for free, and DIRECTV customers who have a Nexstar controlled FOX affiliate can no longer authenticate on the FOX Sports TV Everywhere app to stream FOX's OTA games, they only get access to the FS1, FS2, BTN, FOX Deportes and/or FOX Soccer Plus streams.

Nexstar is also the only company in the country who now refuses to livestream their newscasts and glorified sponsored content local lifestyle shows, they claim contract obligations with pay TV providers, yet not a single Big 4 O&O or other broadcaster like Cox, Scripps, Hearst, Hubbard, Tegna, Graham, Gray and Sinclair have any problem live streaming their newscasts online. Heck this past year most of them expanded their free live streaming newscasts to 3rd party FAST providers like Xumo, Plex, Roku Channel, LocalNow, NewsOn, SamsungTV Plus, Vizio, Tubi and others.

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Nexstar is also the only company in the country who now refuses to livestream their newscasts and glorified sponsored content local lifestyle shows, they claim contract obligations with pay TV providers, yet not a single Big 4 O&O or other broadcaster like Cox, Scripps, Hearst, Hubbard, Tegna, Graham, Gray and Sinclair have any problem live streaming their newscasts online. Heck this past year most of them expanded their free live streaming newscasts to 3rd party FAST providers like Xumo, Plex, Roku Channel, LocalNow, NewsOn, SamsungTV Plus, Vizio, Tubi and others.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Nexstar ends up on a list of the worst companies in America!

FOX's live sports are not streamed online for free, and DIRECTV customers who have a Nexstar controlled FOX affiliate can no longer authenticate on the FOX Sports TV Everywhere app to stream FOX's OTA games, they only get access to the FS1, FS2, BTN, FOX Deportes and/or FOX Soccer Plus streams.

WGN has live steams of the local content no log in needed

They, as well as KRON and KTLA also don’t have their newscasts streamed on a 2 hour delay. A friend of mine assumes that is because of high competition with other stations in the area, which makes sense as they are all in major markets.

WGN has live steams of the local content no log in needed
They only do it for some of their major market stations like WPIX, KTLA, WGN and KRON. The rest of their stations, including WPHL in the #4 DMA Philly, are on 2 hour delays, with exceptions made for severe weather coverage or major events. i.e. KHON in Hawaii dropped the delay for a few weeks in the aftermath of the Maui fires.

However, WPIX does require a TVE login if you want to stream their Mets games, right now only Optimum/Altice and Verizon FiOS are supported.

The signals from Penobscot are very strong in the Moosic area, anything with VHF dipoles positioned correctly should get you reliable reception of WBRE and WYOU.
Here is the Rabbit Ears report for my home address:
WBRE and WYOU are listed as a “Fair” signal, is that considered good enough to be watchable?

WBRE and WYOU are listed as a “Fair” signal, is that considered good enough to be watchable?
They may require an outdoor antenna but the bigger issue is that some of those stations are in a significantly different direction (6 vs 214 vs 341). It likely won't be a trivial solution. AntennaMan's recent review of the bi-directional antenna may be of interest if you can split the 6 and 341 stations with the 214 stations.

I'm astounded how difficult Pennsylvania TV reception often seems to be.

some of those stations are in a significantly different direction (6 vs 214 vs 341)
The "6"'s are just WNEP's, WVIA's and WOLF's Clarks Summit repeaters. The main signals for the Big 4 are from Penobscot which is 214. The 341's are the Bald Mountain signals WSWB (CW/Me/Comet/Stadium) and WQPX (Ion and the Scripps diginets). WRLD-LD at 248 is a LPTV station, however they recently expanded their subchannel lineup to include Buzzr and the rest of the Weigel diginets.

They're close enough to Bald Mountain that a VHF-Hi and UHF capable antenna aimed for a sweet spot favoring Penobscot should still get them WSWB and WQPX via back side reception.

I get WSWB with my antenna, and with a reported “Good” signal (all four bars, red, yellow, green, and blue, shown on the TV’s info bar), but not WQPX.

That's because you're using a crappy UHF "mudflap" antenna on a wall, which isn't doing you any favors if that wall also has any electrical wiring behind it.
The antenna being "multi-directional" doesn't help either, as it just makes it harder to aim for a sweet spot that favors the weaker signals and away from any sources of interference. An actual VHF-Hi and UHF antenna with individual VHF and UHF elements that can be positioned/aimed correctly for Penobscot will get you a lot more.

Here is the Rabbit Ears report for my home address:
With the correct antenna you would have minimal issues getting them.
Where I use to live I could get Minneapolis stations fine with an outdoor antenna. This rabbitears is pretty much what it use to be except KMNF did not exist and KARE 11 was on VHF.
(It was over 4 years ago)
I got 12, 4, 5 and 23 no issues. 2 and 9 are on a different tower and if I moved the antenna a little bit east they came in better but 4,5 and 23 dropped. I was in a valley yet they worked. They show as poor on the rabbitears report. Worked fine to my 4 tuner TiVo

Reactions: dfergie and KyL416
Well, under two hours to kickoff of the week 1 Sunday NFL games and no deal in sight. Sadly if the return of the NFL didn't get them to push for a deal, there isn't anything new coming up that will change things. This Nexstar dispute may last quite a while (it already has). With the writers strike the fall television season for local networks is going to be fairly sparse compared to normal years, so the programming leverage is not as strong beyond sports. Since sports didn't get it done, and by the end of September they've likely taken the hit for most customers that are going to switch over the dispute, both sides may just settle into their position and this will linger.

I'll admit I'm shocked and I guess I was wrong. I wonder if DirecTV feels emboldened by the Spectrum/Disney dispute and dug their heels in further.

When it comes to the teams' home DMAs Nexstar is only a factor for Indianapolis (CBS/FOX), Buffalo (8 games on CBS), Vegas (8 games on CBS), Charlotte (8 games on FOX), Cleveland (5 games on FOX), Green Bay (2 games on CBS), Kansas City (1 game on FOX) and Denver (1 game on FOX), while Tampa doesn't have any games currently scheduled for NBC. The rest of their DMAs are secondary so they're not guaranteed to always get a specific team.

Most of NBC's games are also simulcasted in Spanish on Universo which is available with Xtra and higher. (The 49ers/Cowboys games on 10/8 and 11/23 are Telemundo only) NFL Network's Red Zone also provides live coverage of most scoring plays.

For those who can't get reception where they are (or for whatever reason still don't want to install a proper antenna), NBC's national games are available with Peacock Premium ($3.99 with DIRECTV's discount) and CBS's local NFL games are available with Paramount+'s $5.99 Essential plan. You can pay for those with the $10 TVPromise credit that you can reapply for again every month. If you're willing to watch on mobile or tablet, another option is NFL+ for $6.99.

Most of NBC's games are also simulcasted in Spanish on Universo which is available with Xtra and higher.
That’s confusing to me, the website has Ultimate as the next package after Choice (my pkg) and not Xtra, is it just only now for subs that got it while it was still available and they can’t go back now if they change to another package?

When it comes to the teams' home DMAs Nexstar is only a factor for Indianapolis (CBS/FOX), Buffalo (8 games on CBS), Vegas (8 games on CBS), Charlotte (8 games on FOX), Cleveland (5 games on FOX), Green Bay (2 games on CBS), Kansas City (1 game on FOX) and Denver (1 game on FOX), while Tampa doesn't have any games currently scheduled for NBC. The rest of their DMAs are secondary so they're not guaranteed to always get a specific team.

Most of NBC's games are also simulcasted in Spanish on Universo which is available with Xtra and higher. (The 49ers/Cowboys games on 10/8 and 11/23 are Telemundo only) NFL Network's Red Zone also provides live coverage of most scoring plays.

For those who can't get reception where they are (or for whatever reason still don't want to install a proper antenna), NBC's national games are available with Peacock Premium ($3.99 with DIRECTV's discount) and CBS's local NFL games are available with Paramount+'s $5.99 Essential plan. You can pay for those with the $10 TVPromise credit that you can reapply for again every month. If you're willing to watch on mobile or tablet, another option is NFL+ for $6.99.
How do reapply for more than one $10 credit? The promise website says one-time only and when I enter my email it says it's already been submitted.

I'm not sure about Stream/Internet customers where it's e-mail based. But for satellite you can click the "DIRECTV" link on the TV Promise page again after the month is up to get another credit. Like if you first applied on July 2nd when Nexstar's stations were taken down, you were able to reapply again on August 2nd and September 2nd, or if you applied on 10/21 when Mission was taken down, it would be the 21st.

The dispute slate has been changed to remove mentions of Nexstar. Sounds like we may have ANOTHER dispute on our hands soon!!!!

Attachments

• 1694737163093.png
    1694737163093.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 90