Next Star Trek Movie to be a Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I preferred DS9 & Enterprise. Couldn't stand to watch TNG or Voyager.

To each his own.

TOS was better, in my opinion, because it laid the ground-work for everything that came after it. DS9 probably had the best overall story arc (multi-season) of any Trek series. Enterprise tried it, but just when it was finding it's footing, P-mount killed it (sadly, and in the worst way I've ever seen a series end).

Voyager had some watchable episodes, but how it ever made 7 seasons and Enterprise only 4 is beyond my ability to comprehend (aside from the 7 of 9 factor).

Sorry about numbering bad...the 5 and 6 should've been swapped. :)

While I think TNG was the best series, Enterprise was better than people gave it credit for. Sure the first 2 seasons suck royally but the last 2 were the best I have seen with the exception of the final episode which blew chunks because Rick Berman decided to write again.

I consider the episode just before the "final" episode of Enterprise to the finale'. Bringing in Riker and Troi to do a historical recap just sucked, and I think everyone's reaction, including what I read about the reactions of the Enterprise cast, pretty much sums it up: it was a lame way to end it.

TOS was better, in my opinion, because it laid the ground-work for everything that came after it.
That's the emotional aspect that I removed for my list. Of course, being the original, gives it an emotional edge as the best. But, TNG was a much better series, once it got its feet during the 2nd season. Of course, TOS came out of the gate pretty good, actually getting worse as time went on. But, almost nothing they did could compete with some of the better TNG episodes, like "Inner Light".

DS9 probably had the best overall story arc (multi-season) of any Trek series.
Yes. Rick Berman et al did an excellent job adapting Babylon 5's story arc to the Star Trek universe. :cool:

Ive seen some recent pics of many of the old STNG cast including whats her name that posed nude for playboy ( thank god she did it back then and not now ) and patric stewart seems to be the only one that has really held up well other than young Will though he has put on a few pounds himself.

STNG was good and the Q aspect added some humour to it, with the advent of the borg that also helped keep it alive. DS9 didnt really come into its own until the war to fight the enemy in the expanse I think it was, that was definitely the best part of that whole series bar none.

Voyager should have been held back on its release for a year or two, it came out to close to DS9 and that overkilled it but it did get good towards the end of its life span ( recurring theme here? ), I never really liked the idea of an older woman captaining the ship only in that the one they chose always stuck in my head as being someones grandmother.

Enterprise I wasnt happy with in that it was a prequal but then after seeing a hot vulcan in an obviously cold room I was hooked if but for a few episodes ( work got in the way as it usually does ) but what I did catch of it I felt it had potential. What I think killed it was the quantum leap factor ( typecasting is a bitch and follows you for life ) and the never ending story of them being persued and hounded by the same enemies. I had really hoped that it would have went somewhere but obviously it didnt and aparently PM has found the star trek story line to have become stale atleast within the television aspect.

Hopefully ( with fingers crossed ) they will have a decent director and producer for the movie and maybe just maybe they will have enough sense to hire someone worth they're salt to come up with the next installment in the tv series. If I were able to give them any advice it would be to cast unknowns in all permanent roles, its worked well in the past so dont fix what isnt broken.

That's the emotional aspect that I removed for my list. Of course, being the original, gives it an emotional edge as the best. But, TNG was a much better series, once it got its feet during the 2nd season. Of course, TOS came out of the gate pretty good, actually getting worse as time went on. But, almost nothing they did could compete with some of the better TNG episodes, like "Inner Light".

Yes. Rick Berman et al did an excellent job adapting Babylon 5's story arc to the Star Trek universe. :cool:

"Inner Light", along with "Best of Both Worlds" and a few other episodes, really set TNG apart from the rest of Trek. It's that kind of top-of-the-game episodes that make a series memorable. That's likely why the TNG cast was taken into the feature films as opposed to the DS9 or Voyager cast.

TOS, when it was moved by NBC to a lousy time-slot, and they'd lost some of better writers, took a nose-dive in quality of stories.

I didn't see the Dominion being the same as the Shadows or the Vorlons or any of the First Ones, really. The Dominion was more like a galactic mafia. ;) The multi-season story arc thing was (IMO) a JMS idea that Berman, etc. did a good job of lifting it and adapting it to DS9. But 24 took it to the next level...

Last edited:
I've said it before, few of the ST:OS films hold up as well as The Motion Picture (yeah, I said it). Wrath of Khan is the best, most entertaining of the bunch, but The Motion Picture is the series of films' truest attempt at science fiction. I give it a heartfelt second position. It's also easily the one with the most 'epic' feel (many of the others felt like big-budget tv shows--which is why, I think, they are beloved by true Star Trek fans), with 'The Undiscovered Country' close on its heels.

Of course, I also stand by Tron and Lynch's Dune as very misunderstood but qualifiable masterpieces, each in their own right/means--and they like The Motion Picture are popularly derided.

As for 'Enterprise', I think it's way better than most people gave/give it credit. Some of the cast members couldn't emote their way out of a paper bag (Ensign Mayweather, anyone? I'm sure he's a hellova nice guy, but...) and some of the writing was weak, but overall it was pretty good. If they would have kept The finale was indeed horrible, second only to the finale for X-Files in wasted potential and let-down factor.

As for the new prequel movie, I have one nervous wish--that they don't go all "Beverly Hills 90210" on us. The problem w/ most American TV/film today is the utter lack of interesting faces, i.e. real characters/character actors. Everyone looks the same, in that plastic good-looking generic L.A. way. Boooriiing! Granted they had Kirk and mod-headed Chekhov and all the 'babes', but they need some real grit and unique faces to round out the crew--today we'd have no angular Spock or gaunt older Bones, they'd be buff lookalikes.

They should also consider the best casting choice of recent Star Trek, Jeffrey Combs, as either a villian or a major role--now he's a great character actor!

Last edited:
Interestingly that movie was actually a reworked pilot script for a revival series that never happened.

Interestingly that movie was actually a reworked pilot script for a revival series that never happened.

Yeah, I think the film was originally a planned pilot...but it had a real science fiction author behind it's story (Alan Dean Foster), rather than a producer making it up run-and-gun, and it evolved quite a bit before it was all over, I'd imagine.

Time travel is a good science fiction premise as well...the "save the whales" part was a bit heavy-handed, but otherwise TVH was a fun ride. The V'Ger fly-over with Sulu doing the "zone-out" look just goes on waaay too long and if that had been trimmed a bit, I think it would've made for a better film.

I ordered and got in today the Star Trek Time Travel Dvd's... on the Mits TOS looked pretty good, TNG very soft, DS9 and Voyager good... (watched the DS9 Trials and Tribbleations episode in full and skimmed others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)