Next Week's Timers w/Daylight Saving Time

bkos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Hi...I've set my 501 to record shows next week since I'm going to be away. All the times on the shows I've choosen are shown as being on an hour earlier next week. For example, 24 is shown as starting at 8pm on Monday April 4. I assume this is due to the fact that we get to "spring" our clocks forward again. I've selected the show based on the guide rather than setting a timer based on the clock. So what's going to happen? Will my timers change with the time or will it record an hour earlier?

ahh..that time of the year again.

Easiest thing to do is wait until Sunday and then set your timers.....I know there has been a couple posts on this (I asked it last "fall back")

Something is goofy where the guide doesn't work right until the time changes.

Most weekly timers should be fine. After the switch they usually magically fix themselves. HOWEVER, single timers that you set BEFORE the switch to fire AFTER the switch are gonna be suspect. If you want to be sure to record a crucial timer and you will be away, set a manual timer and don't use the guide, just set the recording based on the time and channel.

shucks, I hate this time of year. My personal nightmare, ....a 23 hour day. I don't have enough time in the day as it is....... PLUS, it feels like I am getting up "early" for a week until my internal body clock gets used to the new schedule.

Bob...from one Bob to another...Thanks! And thanks as well Iceberg.

I am going to be away on Sunday and back on Tuesday. When was that Internet accessible DVR going to be coming out again? Right.

When I can, I'll try to do both...set the timer based on the guide and set a timer based on the time and see how many recordings I get. Just with the Formula One race this weekend and all the primetime shows having new episodes, I might be overwhelming my poor old 501.

BobMurdoch said:
Most weekly timers should be fine. After the switch they usually magically fix themselves. HOWEVER, single timers that you set BEFORE the switch to fire AFTER the switch are gonna be suspect.

Be careful, you may be confusing people here. Any new timers (weekly or single), created this week based on the incorrect guide will not fire correctly.

Old weekly timers are ok, because they have the correct start/end times.

bkos: If you're leaving before Sunday you'll need to create the timers manually.

It's very sad the E* hasn't fixed this problem. They must get a flood of cally from annoyed customers who's timers don't fire correctly.

Maybe by October the 501/508/510 will have named-based-recording (which just leaves us poor 721/921 owners who spent the most $$$).

David's right. I thought that's what I said, but after rereading it again, I can see where it could be confusing.

Timers created before last Sunday to fire after the switch will be fine. Timers created this week will probably NOT work if previous experience holds true.

David, Bob...thanks. I'll recreate my timers with the correct times and create one timer off the guide as a test then let everyone one know how it went (since I'm sure you'll be anxious to know).

BobMurdoch said:
shucks, I hate this time of year. My personal nightmare, ....a 23 hour day. I don't have enough time in the day as it is....... PLUS, it feels like I am getting up "early" for a week until my internal body clock gets used to the new schedule.

I agree. It's finally light when I'm getting up and for my morning commute. Next week back to dark mornings again, Argghh! :mad:

NightRyder

I saw mine, DVR schedule, all the shows, I want to be recorded are one hr, earlier. I'll just see, If they adjust on Apr 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts