NFL 2008-09 Season

HD, you're Mr. Cleveland.

Can you explain the history behind the Dawg Pound- how and when and why did it start?

Before the start of the 1985 season, cornerback, Hanford Dixon gave his defensive teammates the name "Dawgs" to inspire them before the season.

Dixon and fellow cornerback Frank Minnifield started the idea of the pound by using the dog-versus-cat relationship between the quarterback and the defense.

"We had the idea of the quarterback being the cat, and the defensive line being the dog," Dixon said. "Whenever the defense would get a regular sack or a coverage sack the defensive linemen and linebackers would bark."

This attitude carried into the stands at the training camp, where fans started barking along with the players.

Dixon and Minnifield then put up the first "Dawg Pound" banner in front of the bleachers before the first preseason game at old Cleveland Stadium.

The bleacher section had the cheapest seats in the stadium, and its fans were already known as the most vocal. They adopted their new identity whole-heatedly, wearing dog noses, dog masks, bone shaped hats and other outlandish costumes.

The rest is history and an ongoing tradition....

Cowboys traded 1st, 3rd and 6th round 2009 draft picks for Roy Williams.

Great move for the Lions.

Roy Williams is gone from the Lions??

Now, I am ASSURED they'll run the table or go 1-15. He at least was a guy who could give defenses fits.

If I'm a Lions fan, I'd be livid.

#1 - Yes indeed it was. Not bad for Dallas either, Jones needed to deflect attention from Pacman and Romo, and this should do the trick. As for the Lions, this trade was much more than I thought they would get for him. I thought a 3rd rd. pick tops. But the key to the extra draft picks was that Dallas was able to sign Williams for an additional 5 yrs. He was due to be a free agent, and the Lion's options were to let him go or slap the franchise tag on him. The latter being to expensive for a franchise that has so many needs. As for our current offensive options, let me point out that Furrey led the league in receptions 2 seasons ago, (he's become an afterthought of late), and that Shaun McDonald was in the top 10 for receptions last season. Williams had become "Lionized", a condition were you "phone it in" until you can get the hell out of here. Other symptoms include dropping passes you would have caught a season ago, and the hopeless feeling that no matter what you do, your team is going to lose anyhow, therefore becoming a "loser" yourself. Williams is a talented receiver, but he deserves to play for a winner, and the Lions have a lot of holes to plug.

#2 - Lion's fans around me are all applauding this trade, as are the local papers. It was a shrewd move. Now if we can just find a way not to screw the pooch with these picks....
Sabre - trust me, the Lions could have gone 0-16, 1-15, WITH Roy Williams.

#3 - The Lions aren't cursed. The expiration on Lane's 50 yr. curse ran out last week. A solid performance by the defense last Sunday, and yesterday's trade are actually tiny little rays of hope in Detroit. What the Lion's are is mismanaged.

Excuse me I forgot about Kitna. Kitna claims to be healthy, and I believe him. The coaching staff says that Kitna is lying about his condition, (And who could blame him? He's 36, his career is running out), and that he has a negative attitude about the offense (I believe this also).The truth of the matter is that we can go 0-16, 1-15 with or without him, and he hasn't done anything to make me believe we can win with him. His numbers are just plain horrible. At any rate, putting him on IR was an excuse to play the backups, without giving the impression that the management has given up on this season. (God knows the fans have.). The two most popular guys in Detroit are the Lions backup QB, and the Red Wings backup goaltender.:D

Jay Cutler: “Nobody In The NFL Has A Stronger Arm Than Me”

I never pay attention to Jay Cutler, so I have no idea how cocky or humble the guy is, but this guy made the cardinal sin of evoking the name of John Elway in Denver.

“I have a stronger arm than John [Elway], hands down,” Cutler said. “I’ll bet on it against anybody’s in the league. Brett Favre’s got a cannon. But on game days, there’s nobody in the league who’s going to throw it harder than I am at all.”

I never pay attention to Jay Cutler, so I have no idea how cocky or humble the guy is, but this guy made the cardinal sin of evoking the name of John Elway in Denver.

to say that he has a stronger arm than elway did tells you how bright this kid is. prove yourself for many years in the league then compare yourself to the legends of that position. ridiculous.

to say that he has a stronger arm than elway did tells you how bright this kid is. prove yourself for many years in the league then compare yourself to the legends of that position. ridiculous.

Even if he does have the strongest arm in the league, So What, so he can throw it 10 yards over his rec. instead of 5.
Who ever said you had to have the strongest arm to be a good QB.

Jimbo

Even if he does have the strongest arm in the league, So What, so he can throw it 10 yards over his rec. instead of 5.
Who ever said you had to have the strongest arm to be a good QB.

Jimbo

true you gotta have smarts too. he can't tell me he has a stronger arm than my boy marino did. to me one of the best even though he never got a ring.when that man threw the ball it exploded out of his arm with that quick release,precision and quick thought process. elway proved you gotta have a solid running game to win a championship. it can't always be passing no matter how exciting it might be. Montana.Elway and Marino are my favorites of all time. They were qb's that could win with good or bad teams. Of course you rather have a complete team which is what denver is lacking right now. Cutler has a lot to learn.

Elway on Cutler's arm vs. those of some NFL greats: "Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre -- they all could get outside and make big plays. Cutler is either more athletic or has better arm strength than each of them. His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age (you tell him Johnny!!!)

:D

I’ll take him as MY QB any day, all day long. God forbid a QB actually shows some confidence. I like my QBs confident and not afraid to throw the ball.

confidence is one thing arrogance is another. still i would take him in a flash!

I will put JaMarcus' arm against his as far as arm strength ANY DAY OF THE WEEK and twice on Sunday. The ONLY reason his is talking NOW is because his team is winning....he wasn't flappin' his gums too much when his Broncos were 7-9 last year....was he?

I just can't get enough of last weeks MNF game. Another killer stat....

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Browns became just the fourth team since 1963 not to allow a single sack, commit a turnover or punt in the same game.

The three other teams in the last 45 years that have done it are the San Francisco 49ers in a 55-17 manhandling of the Detroit Lions on Dec. 19, 1993; the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a 27-24 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Nov. 1, 1998; and the New York Jets in a 37-14 triumph over the Seattle Seahawks on Dec. 19, 2004.

The 1993 49ers, 23-13 losers to the Browns early that season in Cleveland's last Monday Night Football victory before the one over the Giants this week, went on to finish 10-6, capture the West Division title and advance to the NFC Championship Game.

The 1993 49ers, 23-13 losers to the Browns early that season in Cleveland's last Monday Night Football victory before the one over the Giants this week, went on to finish 10-6, capture the West Division title and advance to the NFC Championship Game.

You mean the 49ers used to be GOOD?

Any of you familiar with America's Game: The Super Bowl Champions?

Well, I heard they had a spin-off titled The Missing Rings, which looks at the 5 best teams to never win the Super Bowl?

Some of their choices are good (1998 Vikings, 1969 Vikings) and my Bills of 1990 are on the list (believe me, they did a lot of good- I know they missed the FG, but they came closer than the others), but others are pretty stupid.

The 1988 Bengals and the 1981 Chargers are the other two teams.

Here are my problems:

The 1981 Chargers were not as good as the 1980 team.

The 1988 Bengals?! What about LAST YEAR'S PATRIOTS?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts