NFL 2009-10 Season

Bill, when was the last time we had a Thanksgiving game between two GOOD teams?

After last year's mismatches, you'd think the NFL would learn their lesson.

I hear what you're saying, but two things:

1. Again, the NFL isn't going to put their best matchups on Thansgiving Day. Why would they if people are gonna watch anyway?

2. I think you may be selling the Raiders a little short. I'm not saying that they'll be Super Bowl contenders or anything, but they did finish very respectfully under Tom Cable. I see no reason why that trend won't/can't continue.

I'm not sure enough has happened to call anything a trend in the right direction in Oakland, especially if you're relying on a win against a Bucaneers on a historic defensive collapse to close the season as part of that. They had 2 quality wins last season, they put a stop to the streaking Texans who finished 8-8, and at Denver where no win is easy. Winning @ KC used to mean something, and the Raiders winning there probably means more than the mob of other teams that won there last year since division rivalry games are almost always close.

I'm not sure enough has happened to call anything a trend in the right direction in Oakland, especially if you're relying on a win against a Bucaneers on a historic defensive collapse to close the season as part of that. They had 2 quality wins last season, they put a stop to the streaking Texans who finished 8-8, and at Denver where no win is easy. Winning @ KC used to mean something, and the Raiders winning there probably means more than the mob of other teams that won there last year since division rivalry games are almost always close.

All excellent points!

But there's no denying that the Raiders were a much better team under Cable last season, no matter who they were playing.

When the culture changes. Hiring from within (both things the Lions and Raiders did) doesn't really do that. Was it enough of a change? We'll see, and it depends on how 'enough' is defined. An 'improved' Lions winning 3-5 games would be a no, despite 'omg improvement over 0-16'. The same goes for another losing season for the Raiders. They've got fantastic talent, just no direction.

It will probably take the Lions at least 2 seasons just to get to .500. The talent level is horrific, past drafting is the skeleton in the closet here. Just look at the 8 previous #1 picks they made. Almost half aren't even in the NFL anymore, I believe Calvin Johnson is the only one that remains on the Lions. As for changing the "culture", well that's what Marinelli was trying to do, we all know how that worked out. "Culture" doesn't mean anything if you don't have any talent. I'd take a 3-4 win season, even though in this day and age in the NFL when you can go from 1-15 to the playoffs, or from last to the Super Bowl, that seems like an underachievement. As I said in previous comments, this team has maybe 12-14 players that even belonged in the NFL to start with, so that puts them 40 players behind everyone else.
I still don't have much faith in these guys to draft well this year. Mayhew was here when Millen was drafting - did he have a better idea and wasn't telling anybody? 5 picks in the first 85 - a golden chance to create a core group that can contend in 2 seasons - IF they draft the right players. The track record speaks ill to this result.

I think you may be selling the Raiders a little short. I'm not saying that they'll be Super Bowl contenders or anything, but they did finish very respectfully under Tom Cable. I see no reason why that trend won't/can't continue.

I think Bill is right about my Raiders. Since their Super Bowl disapperance against Tampa, they have NEVER finshed on a positive note where they finished winning 2 out of 3 and with NOTHING to look forward to for the following season. Going into this year, the franchise QB has officially a full season under the same system, they will have a healthy RB corp that is AS GOOD as ANY in the NFL, they will also have a good, young TALENTED defense to start the season. EVERYTHING is looking positive to start the season. ALL we need is a good draft...not great draft, and they will improve again this year. I am HOPING for at least a 8-8 season, but would be happy with a 7-9 and stay competitve....barring any major injury of course.

When the culture changes. Hiring from within (both things the Lions and Raiders did) doesn't really do that. Was it enough of a change? We'll see, and it depends on how 'enough' is defined. An 'improved' Lions winning 3-5 games would be a no, despite 'omg improvement over 0-16'. The same goes for another losing season for the Raiders. They've got fantastic talent, just no direction.

Where are you getting this no direction stuff from?:confused: Because Al Davis is still alive? The direction is there. Develope the passing game slowly with a strong running attack. The strength of the Raiders will be running the ball and playing good defense....completely the opposite of what the Crypt Keeper likes. Apparently someone had finally sold it Al Davis by the fact that he kept Cable and somehow getting THE BEST cover corner in the league in Nnamdi Asomugha to sign a long term deal.

Fist off, you really can't argue with the open competition. Neither QB has warranted enough to just be handed the job. Hopefully the best QB will prevail and there will be no more QB controversy once the decision has been made.

With that said, I probably see Mangini ultimately deciding on The Mighty Quinn.

Mangini has notoriously preferred a dink and dunk game manager rather than a strong armed gun slinger.

Fist off, you really can't argue with the open competition. Neither QB has warranted enough to just be handed the job. Hopefully the best QB will prevail and there will be no more QB controversy once the decision has been made.

With that said, I probably see Mangini ultimately deciding on The Mighty Quinn.

Mangini has notoriously preferred a dink and dunk game manager rather than a strong armed gun slinger.

Then the question is, do you KEEP the expensive as sh*t BACKUP or trade him for more draft picks?

Then the question is, do you KEEP the expensive as sh*t BACKUP or trade him for more draft picks?

We don't have another adequate backup if we trade one of them. I say keep him. It's been proven time and time again, you need 2 good QB's on your team in case of injuries.

With that said, how much would the backup QB to the Cleveland Browns really be worth? A late 2nd or 3rd at best? Too many people treat draft picks as gold. There's so much uncertainty with draft picks. At least we know what we have in BQ and DA.

We don't have another adequate backup if we trade one of them. I say keep him. It's been proven time and time again, you need 2 good QB's on your team in case of injuries.

With that said, how much would the backup QB to the Cleveland Browns really be worth? A late 2nd or 3rd at best? Too many people treat draft picks as gold. There's so much uncertainty with draft picks. At least we know what we have in BQ and DA.

But that is gonna be ALOT of money to be riding the bench. I would not be surprised is a decent team in desperate need of a good QB, the J-E-T-S, put up a couple of picks for him. They are usually rumored to be rumored in EVERY possible trade that involves a decent QB.

Uh oh Paul.....

Despite the fact the Detroit Lions have made it public that they are seeking to negotiate a contract with the yet-to-be-unidentified player they would make the No. 1 overall pick of next month's draft, general manager Martin Mayhew told me that he is open to trading the choice if he could land the right difference-maker from another team. When asked specifically about Jay Cutler and if Mayhew would consider trading the top pick for the unhappy Broncos quarterback, he didn't shoot down the idea.

NFL.com

Truth&Rumors | FanNation

Pats induct Billy Sullivan into team's Hall of Fame

By: Mike Petraglia

[SIZE=+0]On the occasion of the New England Patriots’ 50th anniversary celebration, Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft announced Tuesday he has inducted the franchise’s original owner, Billy Sullivan, into the Patriots Hall of Fame as a contributor. Sullivan is the first contributor to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, which was heretofore comprised of 13 players, with a 14th to be selected by fans in 2009. Any former Patriots player or head coach who has been retired from the game for at least four years is eligible for hall of fame consideration by a nomination committee. Others deserving of hall of fame consideration are only eligible for induction as contributors to the team. “Billy Sullivan made professional football a reality in New England,” said Kraft in a statement issued by the te. “We are celebrating the Patriots’ 50th season and all of the wonderful memories we have as fans of the Patriots. Without Billy Sullivan, the Patriots would not exist. I hope this recognition will ensure that Patriots fans never forget his contributions.” For more, visit It Is What It Is Blog.[/SIZE]

If the Lion's are going to draft Stafford as all the pundits say they will, then I say trade the pick for Cutler. At least Cutler is proven. our draft history with QB's has been partially documented by me already. Another advantage would be salary cap space. Cutler's salary is probably smaller than what we would have to pay a #1 draft pick. I believe that Cutler can be had for maybe the #20 pick and an additional draft pick (4th round?). That would leave the #1 for one of those monster LT's that will be available, to protect Cutler's blind side. Presto, suddenly the Lion's look competitive again. Not a playoff team, but capable of reaching the playoffs next season.

Since this makes so much sense, though, it will never happen. The Lion's brass has never shown any intelligence up till now, so why should these guys be any different?

Great....WHY not just play flag football since we are gonna put a dress on this guy??!!:mad::mad::mad:

Inside NFL's new 'Brady Rule'
07:29 AM ET

Tom Brady hasn't even thrown a pass in his comeback, and he's already affected change for the 2009 NFL season. In part because of the season-ending left knee injury that Brady suffered in the Patriots' 2008 season opener against the Chiefs, the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs. Brady tore his left ACL and left MCL in the first quarter of the Patriots' 17-10 win over the Chiefs Sept. 7. As Brady stepped into a 28-yard completion to Randy Moss, Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard made a desperation dive into Brady's left knee after he had been blocked to the ground just short of Brady by running back Sammy Morris. Pollard was not flagged or fined for the hit. Under the revised rule, a play like his would be penalized, according to Titans coach Jeff Fisher and Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chairmen of the committee. "I think all the quarterbacks in this league are critical to what the game is about," said Patriots owner Robert Kraft. "It's like if Peyton Manning were gone for a season, I think the whole NFL suffers, the same way the NFL suffered with Tommy out. So whatever we can do to protect quarterbacks and to minimize the opportunity of them being taken out with a year-ending injury I would support. "It's not good for the league. What makes it special is special players. It's like going to see a great movie and the star isn't in the movie. It's the same principle."

Inside NFL's new 'Brady Rule' | Truth&Rumors | FanNation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)