NFL 2009-10 Season

2. The Jets' season is skiddin out of control- and I'm sure Sandra will want Rex Ryan fired and Mangini rehired. Honestly, on December 13, when they play Tampa Bay, I may do something I haven't done all year- pick the Buccaneers to win.

Mangini was laughed out of town a year ago. He's not coming back.

Neither is Mr. Clock Management himself, Herm Edwards. Herm thought Les Miles was awesome at the end of the LSU-Mississippi game. Herm couldn't have handled the clock better himself. Really. He couldn't have.

If you had told me the Jets would be 4-6 after ten games with a rookie quarterback learning his trade, I would have said that's not bad. At least we're not the joke we became at the end of last season. That joke moved about 500 miles west.

I also think Rex Ryan can be a good coach...I just have a feeling that will happen in his next job, where he learns from the mistakes he's making here. He needs to calm down, take things as they come, and go about his business. And NOT turn his rookie QB into the nervous wreck he's becoming.

Maybe he can do it here. Woody or Mr. Tannenbaum needs to step in right now, and say what I said about 4-6 not being bad with a rookie QB, and settle the coach down...and hopefully the QB as well.

Sandra

Last edited:
Chargers now lead the AFC West. We don't mind if the Steelers make the playoffs as a wildcard, we just don't want to go to the Rustbelt in January. We'd be fine with going to Indy - we've got their number. Bolts knocked them off in Indy the last time they started 14-0. :)

Just need one more win to match last season's (division winning) record.

I don't know if there is something wrong with me, but I wasn't even that pissed with the outcome of the Browns/Lions game. I've pretty much grown numb to this team. In a strange way, I almost expected to somehow blow the game.

Maybe I was just content with the excitement the game provided up until the last second loss? Who knows. I'm just hoping Mike Holmgren is serious in his desire to come in and fix our mess.

Random thoughts on this NFL Sunday:

1. I still can't believe the Bengals lost to Oakland. A defense that made life miserable for Flacco and Roethlisberger made Bruce freaking Gradkowski look like Kurt Warner on their last offensive drive. This is one of those games that you will say to yourself years from now, "How did they lose that game?" I've seen games where a team that seemed to be in command found a way to lose, and it's still fresh in my mind. This is one of them.

The Raiders have been a very Jekyll/Hyde team this year. There is NO DOUBT their offense has been terrible....but the defense has shown flashes of being a VERY good defense. They still have issues between the tackles, but they have a decent pass rush and the best corner in the league in Nnamdi. They shutdown the Eagles completely and dominated the Bengals for later 2 2/3 quarters of the game yesterday. IF they were to get a real good QB, the Raiders would be very competitive to POSSIBLY a playoff team. EVERYTHING revolves around QB play. The teams with the better records have had excellent QB play, the ones with crappy records....well, that is self explanitory. PERFECT example is the Brett Favre. Last year with the Jets, he played mediocre and the Jets had a mediocre season and didn't make the playoffs. This year, I would say, if it weren't for that guy in New Orleans....Drew Brees, Favre would be the MVP this year, followed closely by Peyton Manning.....and Minnesota is one of the top team in the NFL.

...so, QB play is VITAL for any chance of a playoff life. The Raiders got decent QB play yesterday, GREAT defense....they got a break that SELDOM bad teams get...and capitalized. Simple as that.....no great mystery there Charlie Brown.;)

If I'm not mistaken, the Steeler's are still only a game back of the Bengals, with the Bengals having the tie breaker.

Remember, they need to make the playoffs, not win the division.

Nothing changed in the standings seeing they both lost.

Except that loss was fairly major... division standings may not have shifted, but the wildcard did. They need to win 2 more games than the Bengals (unlikely) for the division, so now they have to beat the rest of the AFC for the wildcard. Losing is never good at this point... the standings most certainly changed, with the Jaguars now tied for 1st place for the wildcard. Even worse the Steelers didnt lose because of the lack of some defensive player, they turned the ball over 3 times. That was bigger than any one person that could have been added to the game.

After last week I thought the Steelers would have a good shot at the wildcard, now I think they're another slip from not making the playoffs entirely and they're probably going to have to sweep Baltimore to do it. Even if they just split games all that may do is make sure neither of them make it, as the Broncos/Texans/Jaguars/Miami or an improbable run from the Titans/Jets take the wildcard spot every towel waving looney is eyeing.

As much as I admire the Vikings for the way they have played this season, I can't root for them to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl because of Favre.

I'm sorry, but I flat-out can't root for this guy. To me, he is still a traitorous geezer.

The NFL has until tomorrow to decide if they're going to keep Pats-Dolphins as the SNF game on Dec. 5.

Currently Fox has two very attractive 4:15 ET games that afternoon: DAL-NYG (which Fox protected) and MIN-ARZ.

While it's possible that the Vikings-Cardinals game could be flexed to SNF, IMO, Pats-Dolphins will stay because the Fins have been on a roll recently.

I think Vikings/Cardinals should be the Sunday Night game.

1. If it's not, only part of the country would get to see this great game- besides, the Cowboys haven't looked great in the last few weeks, and the Giants did have that four-game skid.

2. Brady vs. Henne or Favre vs. Warner- what sounds better? (See two former Michigan Wolverine QB's go head to head! See two of the NFL's most prolific passers in a showdown in the desert!)

3. This might be NBC's only shot to show the Vikings in the regular-season (I thought the Cincy game may be one, but not after yesterday. They were penciled in for a late-season game at Carolina, but the Panthers are not the team they were last year).

To be honest, Brady vs. Henne :cool:

What I said was not a shot at the QB's (especially when you consider how Henne's filled in once Pennington went out), and the idea of two former Wolverines going head-to-head is quite intriguing, but when I saw your initial question, I decided to put myself in the shoes of an NBC Sports TV executive- "How do you promote this game or that game, and which one would be better to show?"

FWIW, Boomer Esiason is calling next Monday's Patriots-Saints game a Super Bowl preview.

The biggest surprise was his AFC Championship prediction: Pats over Bengals

The Titans are trying to make it 3 for 3 this weekend, franchises that won in the city they used to call home.

Yesterday, the Cardinals won in St. Louis and the Colts won in Baltimore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)