NFL Network hikes fees

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
It is being reported that NFL Network is now asking for a rate hike of 125% and inclusion into the standard expanded cable tiers.

This is after they got the NFL weekly game for the upcoming season.

I wonder if Charlie got a better deal by signing them before the NFL agreement. And I wonder what will happen whenever E*'s original deal expires.

Tom Bombadil said:
It is being reported that NFL Network is now asking for a rate hike of 125% and inclusion into the standard expanded cable tiers.

This is after they got the NFL weekly game for the upcoming season.

I wonder if Charlie got a better deal by signing them before the NFL agreement. And I wonder what will happen whenever E*'s original deal expires.

when it expires, then you probably won't be watching football on the NFL network for a while

The reports are saying that NFL Network is asking for about 60 cents per month per subscriber. So if 10 million Dish subs met the qualifying tier, that means Dish would be paying $6M a month, or $72M a year.

It is interesting that Dish is one of the early adopters of the new pricing structure. Several cable companies are bucking it. And Dish is running promos in those areas touting that they have NFL Net. This is change of pace for Dish.

Football is a big draw and brings alot of money to table ( guess its the desire that men have to watch other big men in tight fitting polyester pants manhandle each other in public ) and in this case charlie is going to take advantage of any perceived weakness of his competitors to garner position and its due to the new goal that Charlie has for Dish and that is to reach 15 million subs.

I know that many are saying well what about lifetime and mtv and oln ect ect ect, football trumps all the other channels atleast 10 fold in viewership and revenue because its nation wide over that of hockey for instance.

NFL Network

Is this network a seperate fare or is it included in certain packages. I have the platinum package. Do I have it or do I have to sub to it?

Van said:
Football is a big draw and brings alot of money to table ( guess its the desire that men have to watch other big men in tight fitting polyester pants manhandle each other in public ) and in this case charlie is going to take advantage of any perceived weakness of his competitors to garner position and its due to the new goal that Charlie has for Dish and that is to reach 15 million subs.

I know that many are saying well what about lifetime and mtv and oln ect ect ect, football trumps all the other channels atleast 10 fold in viewership and revenue because its nation wide over that of hockey for instance.

You mean football's appeal is nationwide? We here in the #2 TV market still have no local football team. San Diego doesn't count - but more and more LA area fans are starting to support the Chargers. I know two people here where I work that are season ticket holders.

dlsnyder said:
You mean football's appeal is nationwide? We here in the #2 TV market still have no local football team. San Diego doesn't count - but more and more LA area fans are starting to support the Chargers. I know two people here where I work that are season ticket holders.

there was a report on KTLA Friday that the NFL is now looking at not only bringing one team to LA but is thinking about bringing two. Not in the near future mind you, but that is what KTLA says they are looking at. Nothing is going to happen though until the Colosseum is renovated though.

The NFL has already said repeatedly that they would not accept a renovated Colosseum. Maybe the LA city council thinks they can just wait out the NFL. If they get desparate enough to bring football back to LA maybe the NFL will take whatever they can get.

NFL network still only has 8 real games per year, and IIRC they are not even shown in real time. Its mostly NFL Films and documentaries.

I think the newly added games are going to be shown in real time. But I agree, there isn't that much content on the channel. I can't imagine it is worth 60 cents per sub per mth. Especially since the NFL season is only about 6 mths of the year.

The first game on NFL Net isn't even until Thanksgiving.

dlsnyder, just it give a couple of years and LA will have a team, the Chargers. San Diego's new mayor just announced he won't be trying to build a new stadium for them in the city at taxpayer's expense. He even offered to let other cities in SD County to begin courting them before the end of this season in order to give them a jump on other cities nationally courting the Chargers, which they can't do legally until then. For the full story http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060421-9999-1bn21charger.html

Last edited:
NFL Network Seeks Pay Hike
By R. Thomas Umstead 4/17/2006

Armed with a new eight-game Thursday and Saturday night package of National Football League games, NFL Network is looking to score significant increases in affiliate fees and subscribers before the regular season begins in September.

Negotiations are underway with both current affiliates and nonaffiliates on a new rate card that, according to operators, carries a whopping 125% rate increase and a mandate that the network be carried on well-penetrated expanded basic tiers in order to receive the live primetime games.

The 35 million-subscriber network pitched operators during the last week of March, in an effort to sign up as many distributors as possible before the league’s regular season kicks off in September, individuals close to the network said.

Most current affiliation deals do not include the $300 million eight-game package, which begins Thanksgiving night.

Operators with knowledge of the deal say the monthly rate card jumps from the current 20 cents to 25 cent range per subscriber to 50 cents to 75 cents including the live eight-game package. The fee also includes the channel’s on-demand fare.

Under the new deal, operators also have to place NFL Network on the high-penetrated expanded basic tier. Many distributors currently carry the service on a digital tier.

Sources close to the league say only satellite provider DirecTV Inc. — which has exclusive rights to the league’s “NFL Sunday Ticket” out-of-market package — has officially signed on to carry the live games. The channel is on its “Total Choice” basic package.

NFL officials would not comment on the matter.

NFL Network vice president of national accounts Brian Decker said operators like Comcast Corp. currently carrying the NFL Network have a “mechanism” by which they could pay a surcharge for the eight NFL Network games, but would not disclose specific costs.

Decker said the network is offering great value to distributors at a reasonable cost, well below traditional sports networks like ESPN.

“We are being very thoughtful with what we’re doing,” Decker said. “We’re not interested in starting another multi-sport network, but instead in being a network that serves our fans, our owners and our partners.”

NFL Network president Steve Bornstein said he’s confident the network will reach distribution deals before the games begin airing.

League officials say Sunday night games on ESPN have provided cable with its highest-rated programming since it debuted in 1987. “It’s always been about the most important programming in the U.S.,” Bornstein said. “I anticipate that most of our affiliates will see the quality and value of our programming.”

Well, this might be due to this thread being about NFL Network price hikes. As these hikes have been at the center of several Dish channel disputes, I thought it was an interesting bit of news.

I really didn't care much about whether Dish was going to carry the games. I don't watch SD NFL games.

that thread was posted on 4/17 way before this one. So this thread shouldn't have been created to begin with ;)

But the other thread had nothing to do with the NFL Network price hike, which is the focal point of this thread (and the title, if you go back and look at it).

I don't understand why you are hung up with trying to tie two threads together that are discussing different topics, once you can get beyond that they are both related to the NFL Network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)