NFL Sunday Ticket Only??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scotland

Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Is it possible to only subscribe to the Sunday Ticket without any other package? Looking for some creative ideas. Thanks.

Is it possible to only subscribe to the Sunday Ticket without any other package? Looking for some creative ideas. Thanks.

Actually, there are a few of us out here who do just that (Sunday Ticket only, without any programming/packages). When the NFL decided to end C-band/big dish delivery of Sunday Ticket several years ago, they left the door open for former C-band subscribers to come over to DTV to get Sunday Ticket. The caveats being that you had to do it right then, or you were out. And if you ever discontinue your service, you're out. But many of us came over and have maintainted service. So to answer your question ... yes, people are doing it. But no, you can't sign up for it that way anymore.

Actually, with the piss-poor SD transmission quality on Sunday Ticket and NFL Network, it's hardly worth watching. Hopefully the new satellites in 2007 will open up some bandwidth.

Jeff

Actually, there are a few of us out here who do just that (Sunday Ticket only, without any programming/packages). When the NFL decided to end C-band/big dish delivery of Sunday Ticket several years ago, they left the door open for former C-band subscribers to come over to DTV to get Sunday Ticket. The caveats being that you had to do it right then, or you were out. And if you ever discontinue your service, you're out. But many of us came over and have maintainted service. So to answer your question ... yes, people are doing it. But no, you can't sign up for it that way anymore.

Actually, with the piss-poor SD transmission quality on Sunday Ticket and NFL Network, it's hardly worth watching. Hopefully the new satellites in 2007 will open up some bandwidth.

Jeff
You don't have it in HD ?
It is very nice in HD ..... :)
I did not know that they had this agreement, I am glad they did though, I had ST on my BUD before I went to D* , then eventually I found that the programming on the Bud was no longer filling what I wanted. (When they did away with being able to get the other time zones, Denver 5 , West Coast ect.) I don't remember exactly when that was, but that was around when I started looking elsewhere.

Jimbo

Jeff

BUT as a new sub like the OP would be, and as even you eluded to, the answer is still NO. So why add his confusion, IMHO?

BUT as a new sub like the OP would be, and as even you eluded to, the answer is still NO. So why add his confusion, IMHO?

I suppose "confusion" is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

I just thought it was worth mentioning that "some" people DO have the arrangement he was asking about. That way, he wouldn't be confused reading posts from people (like me) saying that the only thing they get from DTV is Sunday Ticket.

Jeff

You don't have it in HD ?
It is very nice in HD ..... :)

Jimbo

I'm sure it is very nice in HD, but DTV themselves touts their SD content as "DVD Quality", so since that's what they advertise, that's what I'd like to receive, rather then overly compressed, bit-rate starved, pixelated, crap-vision. lol

I watch DVDs and Sunday Ticket on my plasma, and I assure you, there is no comparison. Progressive-scan DVD on my plasma looks wonderful. Sunday Ticket on my plasma looks substandard. If DTV didn't have the monopoly on Sunday Ticket, I certainly wouldn't be a customer. Thankfully, football is the only service I need from them. Customer service assured me that things will be better next year once the new satellites add some bandwidth. We'll see.

Jeff

Then you need someone to come out and fix your system, because all the NFL ST I watched today in HD looked outstanding.

Jimbo

I'm sure it did look nice in High Definition. My beef is (and has always been) with the Standard Definition. DTV says their Standard Definition is of "DVD Quality". That's laughable. Unless the DVD has been pre-treated with a little steel wool first, that is.

I'm just asking DTV to deliver what they advertise .... DVD Quality on SD.

Jeff

Here's what you do....

Sub to NFL + any base package, then after the season's over just put your acct into suspension until next season. Then repeat.

That is surely the cheapest way. Did anyone ever answer this: does your contract still count-down while in suspension? (again this assumes a new sub)

I'm sure it did look nice in High Definition. My beef is (and has always been) with the Standard Definition. DTV says their Standard Definition is of "DVD Quality". That's laughable. Unless the DVD has been pre-treated with a little steel wool first, that is.

I'm just asking DTV to deliver what they advertise .... DVD Quality on SD.

Jeff

See if that improves after the new sats are up and funtional.

Jimbo

Here's what you do....

Sub to NFL + any base package, then after the season's over just put your acct into suspension until next season. Then repeat.

How do you put your account in suspension? Can that be done online or do you have to call in?

Thanks

I thought they would only allow an account to be suspended upto 6 months. That nots long enough for the entire off season.

Last edited:
I read that in suspension the contract does NOT run. So you can suspent 6 months of the year, and essentailly would end up with a 4 half years contract :)

i was under the impression you couldn't suspend your account if you still had a contract. i believe it did use to say that on directv's website.

Once the account is in suspension, the contract stops til it's unsuspended, then it picks back up again. Accounts can be suspended for up to 270 days.

A way to look at it is the superbowl is in february. Suspend in march and unsuspend in august around the preseason. It's relevant to my area because TWC does not carry the NFL network locally. Besides the D* lock on the contract is only till 2010. I don't think malone will pay as much as rupert the next time, hence allowing E* and D* to offer the programming.

A way to look at it is the superbowl is in february. Suspend in march and unsuspend in august around the preseason. It's relevant to my area because TWC does not carry the NFL network locally. Besides the D* lock on the contract is only till 2010. I don't think malone will pay as much as rupert the next time, hence allowing E* and D* to offer the programming.

If your refering to the ST, don't count on it being freed up, D* legally set up the account and everyone had a chance when it first started.
I don't see D* giving up that exclusivity ., unless force by the NFL

Jimbo

Just as an FYI to the thread I called in yesterday and used the new VRU to suspend my account as I do not need D* except for NFLST. It allowed me to do this over the phone without a CSR for 180-days. It did make me pay then and there the 12-day balance via CC and my service will automatically reactivate on 6/28/2007.

EDIT: Oh and I do not care about the contract running because I am not under contract.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDnet Program Recording

Some XM channels choppy on new HR20....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)