Some XM channels choppy on new HR20....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chrisexv6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I noticed that some XM channels are choppy on my new HR20. I dont know what channels are on what sat, but some work and some dont (I dont have a list, Ill get one later).

Anyone seen this before?

Im wondering if its also related to the fact that my tuner 2 signal strength is kinda funky in the sat test screen. Dont know why, Tuner 1 works perfect (holds at 97) but tuner 2 fluctuates depending on transponder/satellite. Brand new wiring...I havent tried swapping tuner 1 and 2 inputs to see if it goes with the wire or not. Also not sure if this is related to my XM issue, but I figured Id lay it out there.

BTW, just got the OTA updated s/w.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

This person on the thread listed below[1] had the same issue, it was due to the wrong kind of multiswitch, maybe this applies to your situation as well.

[1]: http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?searchid=582093

edit, oops it seems that thread is YOU, oh well I tried.

Damaged,
I noticed that too.
I do not think the XM thing is relavennt to the 2nd tuner at all, unless he is recording another program while listening to the XM stuff.
If he's just doing the XM and nothing else, I would think it would use tuner 1 and that is at a strong signal strength.

Jimbo

It actually was the multiswitch.

I wasnt recording anything at the time, so it didnt make much sense to me either. However, after experimenting with bypassing the existing 5x8 multiswitch, I noticed if there was only one tuner on the HR20 connected, I received all odd xponders (even on Tuner 2, which was disconnected!!!). This leads me to wonder how D* has the tuners setup internal to the box (do you *need* both tuners connected at all times?)

Once I changed to the 6x8 multiswitch, the issue went away.

-Chris

It actually was the multiswitch.

I wasnt recording anything at the time, so it didnt make much sense to me either. However, after experimenting with bypassing the existing 5x8 multiswitch, I noticed if there was only one tuner on the HR20 connected, I received all odd xponders (even on Tuner 2, which was disconnected!!!). This leads me to wonder how D* has the tuners setup internal to the box (do you *need* both tuners connected at all times?)

Once I changed to the 6x8 multiswitch, the issue went away.

-Chris

My guess, is that is the amount of bandwidth the switch can 'carry', the 5x8 does not have a sufficient amount of bandwidth capacity (freq range) compared to the newer AT9 approved 6x8s, so that may explain it, and no, you don't _need_ both tuners hooked up, but if you do not, you lose half the DVR functionality.

I'm having the same problem. It happens with my 10-250 and not (that I can tell) with my SD Tivo. I've got the Ka/Ku dish, but I'm not technical enough to know what switch I have, but it has a lot of outputs!!! The XM just seems to drop for a second here or a second there no matter which XM channel I listen to.

I'm having the same problem. It happens with my 10-250 and not (that I can tell) with my SD Tivo. I've got the Ka/Ku dish, but I'm not technical enough to know what switch I have, but it has a lot of outputs!!! The XM just seems to drop for a second here or a second there no matter which XM channel I listen to.
If you want to check, it should be listed on the front of the switch.
Also, go ahead and count the inputs and outputs

Jimbo

I'll have to get on the ladder, it's hidden between one pitch of one roof and the eve of another. I HATE getting up high!!! LOL!!!!

I'll have to get on the ladder, it's hidden between one pitch of one roof and the eve of another. I HATE getting up high!!! LOL!!!!

Can you see it with a pair of binoculars ?
If your no good at heights, don't do it, no sense in risking a potentual problem over it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)