NHL 2007-08 Season

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Lidstrom's goal brought back memories of Vancouver in 2002!

GO WINGS!!!
The Wings should match up well against Calgary or Colorado; they were 3-1 versus Calgary and 4-0 versus Colorado during the regular season. In other action, Tuesday's 7th game between Calgary and San Jose should be a good one, and I hoping Ovechkin's Capitols are able to pull off a come from behind win over Philly (not likely) - nothing against Philly, but it's hard not to like admire what Ovechkin has done for hockey in the DC area.

Also, tonights game 7 between Boston and Montreal should be a barn burner. Personally, I would love to see Detroit matchup against an Original Six team in the finals. Holy Schmoly...correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the last Original Six matchup in the finals was 1979 when Montreal beat NY Rangers...:confused:

hrxtreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 11, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
The Wings should match up well against Calgary or Colorado; they were 3-1 versus Calgary and 4-0 versus Colorado during the regular season.

This isn't the same Avalanche team Detroit saw in the regular season. You're talking a health Sakic, Statsny, and the addition of Salei, Forsberg and Foote. Plus, Theodore is playing excellent at the moment. If I were a Red Wings Fan, I'd hope to play Calgary and prepare to meet Colorado in the Western Finals.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
This isn't the same Avalanche team Detroit saw in the regular season. You're talking a health Sakic, Statsny, and the addition of Salei, Forsberg and Foote. Plus, Theodore is playing excellent at the moment. If I were a Red Wings Fan, I'd hope to play Calgary and prepare to meet Colorado in the Western Finals.

Well the same can be said about the Wings, their main players have been injured thruout the season as well.

Jimbo

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Sorry to interrupt the Wings thread. Did they win their series? I don't even know...

Anyway, let's switch to the Rangers for a few minutes. This place needs some East Coast umm...perspective.

Despite their regular season dominance, I was shocked they disposed of the Devils in five. Not that it seemed like a five game series, all of the games were close and theoretically could have gone either way. But that's the shocking part...the Rangers' playoff MO (with rare exceptions) has been to valiantly fall short, so our fans can talk about how well we played and easily could have won (like the Sabre series last year). It's nice the skate is on the other foot for a change.

The key to the series IMHO was Sean Avery taking Brodeur, and all of the Devils to some extent, off their game. Brodeur allowed at least one bad goal in every game, and while the King wasn't at his best, he did outplay Brodeur. The pentalty shot save, up one with seven minutes to go in game five, was positively Richter-like.

I think it was partly Brodeur thinking about Avery when he should have been thinking about the puck, and partly the fact that Brodeur just plays too many regular season games at his age. The regular season records are going to be nice when he retires, and give the man credit he did win three cups, but over the last few years he has not been at his best in the playoffs.

It's easy to say now that he was tired, but about six weeks ago on another website (the one that allowed schedule posts to have their own threads!) I mentioned Brodeur was playing too many regular season games, and could tire in the playoffs. After the series Sutter called his goalie 'mentally tired'. Gee Brent, some stupid girl in NJ thought that would happen, why didn't you?

See what happens when you hire someone from the evil Long Island team to coach? There oughta be a law...

Sandra

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
They did, and somebody was called names during the series so he didn't shake hands with the name-caller.

Sandra

That Avery thing is ridiculous. How can they make up a new rule in the middle of the playoffs. I can see it as being unsportsmanlike , but he didn't touch him and took himself out of the play.

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
That Avery thing is ridiculous. How can they make up a new rule in the middle of the playoffs. I can see it as being unsportsmanlike , but he didn't touch him and took himself out of the play.

Well as a die-hard Ranger fan I thought that particular dance Avery did with Brodeur for those few seconds was totally bizarre. Give the man credit for coming up with something new that wasn't in the rulebook because nobody ever did it before, but it was strange.

I did like virtually everything else Avery did during the series, however. It was nice to see Brodeur knocked off his pedestal for a change. Somehow Avery at the same time was able to take Brodeur off his game so much he allowed at least one bad goal in every game, and to also make Brodeur look and sound like a baby.

The Rangers simply must sign Avery this off-season. Give him the $4.2 million, he was worth every penny during the Devil series. How badly do you think Brodeur and the Devils wish Avery would leave the division?

That's why we must keep him

Sandra

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Well as a die-hard Ranger fan I thought that particular dance Avery did with Brodeur for those few seconds was totally bizarre. Give the man credit for coming up with something new that wasn't in the rulebook because nobody ever did it before, but it was strange.

I did like virtually everything else Avery did during the series, however. It was nice to see Brodeur knocked off his pedestal for a change. Somehow Avery at the same time was able to take Brodeur off his game so much he allowed at least one bad goal in every game, and to also make Brodeur look and sound like a baby.

The Rangers simply must sign Avery this off-season. Give him the $4.2 million, he was worth every penny during the Devil series. How badly do you think Brodeur and the Devils wish Avery would leave the division?

That's why we must keep him

Sandra

Avery learned how to be an agrivator very well while spending time in Detroit :D
I would imagine he learned alot from Kirk Maltby.

Jimbo

matskralc

Oct 6, 2007
Yes, New York, please waste $4 million on a scrubby little agitator instead of, I don't know, some offensive talent that ISN'T 6,000 years old and well into the decline phases of their careers. :D

Signed,

Penguins fan

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Yes, New York, please waste $4 million on a scrubby little agitator instead of, I don't know, some offensive talent that ISN'T 6,000 years old and well into the decline phases of their careers. :D

Signed,

Penguins fan

You mean like Gary Roberts? ;)

Your post would have made sense a few years ago. Our offensive talent now consists of a number of guys decidedly not into the decline phases of their careers...Gomez, Drury, Dawes, Callahan, Prucha, Dubinsky, with more young talent that hasn't made it to the NHL yet.

Our players who are into the decline phases of their careers are still contributing, both offensively and in other ways. Jagr is well worth his salary, considering only half of his salary counts against our cap (the other half counts against the Caps' cap). Marty Straka works as hard as anyone. And Brendan Shanahan is no longer counted on for 40 goals a year, his role is as a locker room presence and occasional goal scorer. He's paid as such.

Sometimes you need players on the team who have won, to teach the young guys how to win. There are a lot of Stanley Cups in that locker room, gold medals, and even a little league world championship.

Does that automatically mean the Rangers are going to win? Of course not. There are many many variables, and at the top of the list is the play of the goaltenders. Personally I don't think Lundqvist has proven anything yet, but I'm a Mike Richter fan. I've seen Fleury play great, and I've seen him play terrible. Hopefully for your sake he'll lean toward great.

But to come on here and make such an assessment of the age of the Rangers, well, you must not have been paying attention to the team the last couple of years. Credit the salary cap, credit Sather for remembering how to build a team, credit luck, credit whatever, but the Rangers have been getting contributions from a lot of young guys, including another rookie who is a potential franchise defenseman, Marc Staal, and second year regular Dan Girardi.

At the start of the season the average age of the Penguins' roster was 27.48. The average age of the Rangers' roster was 27.86. I think you need to update your material. :)

Sandra

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
The Wings should match up well against Calgary or Colorado; they were 3-1 versus Calgary and 4-0 versus Colorado during the regular season. I

Obviously Confused!

People just don't understand that the regular season doesn't mean much when it comes time for the playoffs.

The Wings have many times been the top team going into the playoffs and lost in the first round to a 8th place team (Edmonton, Calgary , one I remember off the top of my head)

The Playoffs go to the team that has the HOT goaltender and plays good D*.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)