Nhl center ice -fox dispute?

No..Spoke to a Dish CSR earlier. I asked specific questions about NHL CI...
He did not know off the bat.
SO I made some suggestions to point him in the right direction.
I left with the impression that NHL CI will indeed be available.
Also, if one open the guide and selects one of the NHL CI channels, they will note the following....
"NHL Center Ice gives you up to 40 games per week that aren't otherwise available in your local area. To order call 800-333-DISH today!"

After I read that to the CSR he said, "NHL Center Ice is a go then"...

Not sure how much I trust a CSR that had no clue to begin with.

The thing is this Center Ice includes feeds on a plethora of channels that aren't available on Dish Network, at least not nationally. That would include, CBC, TSN, Sportsnet (all Canadian/ien) channels, and then local, OTA channels where they don't even show the commercials. NHL Center Ice is an NHL product, not a network product, so it would seem that these games would have to be made available. Here's the kicker... if they have to be made available, wouldn't that also mean the local RSN would have to be shown as well, for the game that is?
Not sure how much I trust a CSR that had no clue to begin with.
Agreed. I don't like talking to CSR's that seem to know less about something than me. Kind of a waste of time.

The thing is this Center Ice includes feeds on a plethora of channels that aren't available on Dish Network, at least not nationally. That would include, CBC, TSN, Sportsnet (all Canadian/ien) channels, and then local, OTA channels where they don't even show the commercials. NHL Center Ice is an NHL product, not a network product, so it would seem that these games would have to be made available. Here's the kicker... if they have to be made available, wouldn't that also mean the local RSN would have to be shown as well, for the game that is?

I think we are talking about two separate things. My thoughts are that the NHL CI package is provided by the NHL since Dish and the NHL have to come to terms to offer the package. The NHL most likely has all rights to the games broadcast on TV regardless of the network (Fox, NBC, CBC, Comcast, etc...). So they can sell the feeds to whomever they choose as long as its within the contract between the NHL and the network. I highly doubt their is a clause between the NHL and Fox stating if Fox is having issues with Dish Network, that the NHL must abide by whatever actions are taken.

So I would believe that Dish will still be able to show the games from the Fox feeds since they have rights to them regardless of what is going on between Fox and Dish. I also believe blackout restrictions will still apply so if you have CI, you won't be able to see your local games on the CI channels like normal. Only your local sports network and if that is Fox, at this point you'd be SOL.

Maybe this is wishful thinking......I hope not. Either way my fingers are crossed that I am right and I won't be missing any games.

I subscribed to CI the past two seasons, but have not signed up for this season. I'd be delighted with a package that only had the CBC and TSN broadcasts as some of those local broadcasts (FSN and otherwise) were terrible on the eyes at times.

Come to think of it we also see some games on CI from CBC and TSN...both Canadian stations that dish doesn't carry in their regular lineup.

But not in HD in the CI package...

Also, MSG HD (Sabres, Rangers, Islanders {and Devils?}) is not available to CI subscribers for D* and E*. If they can withhold HD from CI because there is no agreement, I assume they can also withhold SD from Dish CI since there is now no agreement...

I had my first installment of CI cancelled when it appeared on my bill. Assuming they will have a free preview week to start the season as they have in the past, we should be able to determine what is and is not available in that week. I'm not renewing if I'm not going to get all the games. I will be looking at D* since Fios has only one HD channel in their CI package...

Last edited:
But not in HD in the CI package...

Also, MSG HD (Sabres, Rangers, Islanders {and Devils?}) is not available to CI subscribers for D* and E*. If they can withhold HD from CI because there is no agreement, I assume they can also withhold SD from Dish CI since there is now no agreement...

I had my first installment of CI cancelled when it appeared on my bill. Assuming they will have a free preview week to start the season as they have in the past, we should be able to determine what is and is not available in that week. I'm not renewing if I'm not going to get all the games. I will be looking at D* since Fios has only one HD channel in their CI package...

The MSG HD feed issue was fixed last season on DirecTV.

guess this is pretty well known but Dish has pulled all FOX RSN's

I believe that FOX pulled the RSN from Dish, Dish would like to continue carriage while negotiations continue.

It is FOX's perogative to pull their channels without a contract.

The MSG HD feed issue was fixed last season on DirecTV.

Great! I didn't know that.

So, if D* had MSG HD on CI last year, that means that MSG can control which providers can have MSG HD on CI since E* did not have MSG HD on CI last season.

All the more reason to switch to D*...

So I would believe that Dish will still be able to show the games from the Fox feeds since they have rights to them regardless of what is going on between Fox and Dish. I also believe blackout restrictions will still apply so if you have CI, you won't be able to see your local games on the CI channels like normal. Only your local sports network and if that is Fox, at this point you'd be SOL.
Perhaps, but the way I see it, your local Fox affiliate will have the feed of the game on the Center Ice. The blackout would prevent you from watching the opponent team's broadcast.

Perhaps, but the way I see it, your local Fox affiliate will have the feed of the game on the Center Ice. The blackout would prevent you from watching the opponent team's broadcast.

I subscribe to CI because I want to watch the Red Wings game and I live in Virginia. So my local feed is for the Capitals (Comcast Sports Net).

I assume the Fox thing is impacted CI as I see no games listed on my CI schedule for the upcoming 10 days.

I assume the Fox thing is impacted CI as I see no games listed on my CI schedule for the upcoming 10 days.

I don't think this has anything to do with the dispute. Every year we dont see the games in the guide until the last minute. Also, fox sports are not the only channels they show in the package.

I see games are showing up in the guide now under the CI channels (625+)

For friday's game vs. Anaheim, it only shows the Anaheim feed in SD. This is not a good sign.

EDIT: Actually..It says the Detroit feed in SD which is Fox Sports Detroit. This is good news. None of the feeds they are showing HD so I'm guessing that will come later.

Dish.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my chat log with Dish about NHL Center Ice and Fox RSN game feeds.

Jeff: Yes, I have a question about the FOX regional sports channels with regard to my NHL Center Ice package. Will I still get the Fox feeds on NHL Center Ice?
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: Please give me just 1-2 minutes while I check on that for you.
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: NHL Network is available on #9681.
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: All NFL games from across the league are aired on national television. You will be able to watch these games on your local CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX or ESPN stations.
Jeff: You are telling me what I already know. I just want to know since Dish and FOX are in a dispute I want to make sure my NHL Center Ice will still get the FOX feeds for games. If not I want to cancel my NHL Center Ice and if the FOX dispute isn't resolved by the end of October I will be canceling Dish and going with DirecTV
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: The NHL Center Ice is available from 626 -639, all are PPV.
Jeff: I need to speak with someone else that understands what I am asking.
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: Please allow me a minute.
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: I have checked the information about it. Yes, you will receive all the feeds of NHL Center Ice.
(03) HY1 Allen C.ZD5: NHL has not been impacted by the Fox temporary take down.

They gave me 3 free movie coupons and HD Platinum free for 3 months when I asked for a refund for not getting programming I am paying for(no Nat Geo, FX, etc).

I had the same conversation with a tech over the weekend. I'm seeing the same thing in the guide, but it seems like they only have 1 feed for every game, rather than the home and away feeds like they had in past years. If they aren't going to have the home and away feeds and at least the same number of HD games as last year I'm done! This should get interesting if they have to explain why they don't have home and away feeds and HD games.

I think we are talking about two separate things. My thoughts are that the NHL CI package is provided by the NHL since Dish and the NHL have to come to terms to offer the package. The NHL most likely has all rights to the games broadcast on TV regardless of the network (Fox, NBC, CBC, Comcast, etc...). So they can sell the feeds to whomever they choose as long as its within the contract between the NHL and the network. I highly doubt their is a clause between the NHL and Fox stating if Fox is having issues with Dish Network, that the NHL must abide by whatever actions are taken.

Maybe this is wishful thinking......I hope not. Either way my fingers are crossed that I am right and I won't be missing any games.

Thats what my assumption would be also......DISH has a contract with the NHL to provide the games and not the the individual RSN's which have been taken down in this dispute.

At least my Wild are on Versus Thursday and Friday playing the Canes in Finland

I had the same conversation with a tech over the weekend. I'm seeing the same thing in the guide, but it seems like they only have 1 feed for every game, rather than the home and away feeds like they had in past years. If they aren't going to have the home and away feeds and at least the same number of HD games as last year I'm done! This should get interesting if they have to explain why they don't have home and away feeds and HD games.

I don't think the guide is up-to-date just yet. If they weren't going to provide the same amount of HD games as they did last year, I don't think they'd have placeholders on every channel for HD.

I just looked at the guide again and it seems like no HD games are listed yet. Just the SD. I have a feeling they'll start filling in the HD blanks shortly.

Last edited:
i just canceled my center ice - as a precaution. the preview runs thru 10/24. this will give me a few weeks to see what's going on. may not be enough time, but at least i'll get a sense of feeds, hd games and the contract negotiations without loosing my $171 if i dump dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts