NHL Center Ice Pacakge and playoffs

can someone tell me if the playoffs cost more if you already paid for the season???

I'm being charged $80 for the "race to the cup". I had CI for 2 years with Cox prior to this year with dish and I've never been charged this.

Update: Just chatted w/ someone at dish, and they fixed my problem. their auto update charged me for no reason.

Last edited:
Just a little off topic, BUT...

Did anyone see the Flyer/Ranger game last week? On the high glass behind the nets were 2 big SUBWAY signs (one at each end). I would estimate the letters to be 4 feet high and the sign to be 15 feet wide.

Can you imagine paying New York prices for a playoff ticket behind the net and having to look around this SUBWAY sign in order to see the play?

I am really surprised the NHL has allowed this blatant move to get more advertising $ at the expense of the paying fans. I admit I am a purist and miss the days when the ice and boards were pristine white with no ads, but this latest move has totally crossed the line.

I wonder how long it will take for the other teams to follow suit.

Just a little off topic, BUT...

Did anyone see the Flyer/Ranger game last week? On the high glass behind the nets were 2 big SUBWAY signs (one at each end). I would estimate the letters to be 4 feet high and the sign to be 15 feet wide.

Can you imagine paying New York prices for a playoff ticket behind the net and having to look around this SUBWAY sign in order to see the play?

It's digitally superimposed in the television feed. It's not physically there.

It's digitally superimposed in the television feed. It's not physically there.

Really! I didn't know they did that for hockey -- except for maybe the changing illuminated signs they sometimes have on the boards - I assumed those were superimposed.

I know they do that for the backstop behind home plate in baseball, but it didn't even occur to me that the SUBWAY signs were superimposed...

Thanks for the info!

Let me state that you will not get most of the Wings first round games on Center Ice, NHLN, ESPN, VS, or Fox Sports Detroit. I’ve not been able to find them anywhere else at this time either.
I have found in the last two days NHLN and Dish just don’t give a damn. I am a Wings’ fan. Have been for 35 years. I’ve been buying Center Ice for the last three years because it includes ‘.. the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.’ Well, not this year. And Dish Network states ‘...we don’t give refunds for pay per view events...’ which the entire season of Center Ice is termed. I will miss more than half of the Wings’ games in the first round. I even have Fox Sports Detroit, the regional sports package, but the games are blacked out on there (I’m in Denver, go figure) probably because NHLN promised TSN an exclusive. Dish can’t do anything and the person I spoke to in ‘Executive Support’ made it clear that my problem bored him so we are finding a new provider, though we've been a customer for over a decade. I told Mr. Ivan Figueroa that I’d be canceling my service as soon as I made arrangements for a replacement, and filing a claim in small claims court and his reaction was “Would you like to cancel it now? I can take care of that.” (By the way, I was calm and polite for the two days and dozen times I had to relate my issue to various miminum-wage monkeys I had to talk to). TSN is showing the games I want to see but when I tried to find out where I can get TSN in the US I found that they don’t answer the phone number they give you to call. I’ve sent a message to NHLN to see if there is anywhere I can catch the games but based on the complete lack of customer support from the other two organizations I’m not holding my breath for any response.
I’m done. I don’t NEED to watch hockey. If NHLN, TSN, Dish Network, etc. make it clear that they don’t give a sh* about their customers, then I won’t pay them anymore. I love hockey, but I hate the abuse of customers by corporations even more.

First off NHL Network doesn't show playoff games. I'm really not sure what you're saying? You are being blacked out on FSN Detroit but you live in CO? That makes no since? I watched the Wings game fine on Vs. tonight and live in NC. You should't be getting blacked out on both Vs. and FSN Detroit...Something is wrong..:confused:

Wings fans SOL with Center Ice

NHLN brings us Center Ice. Tonights game was on VS but the next three are on TSN and cannot be found anywhere on Dish Network. And yes, they are blacked out on Fox Sports Detroit, in Denver, Colorado.

NHL Network doesn't have nothing to do with Center Ice. You can order NHL Network with the multi-sport package without ordering Center Ice. And also Dish has nothing to do with this. If you had Directv if would be the same. You have to have the Center Ice package to view the games not televised on Vs. or NHL Network in the 1st round of the playoffs. Dish is showing the Saturday night Detroit game on NHL Network. They just added this game today and the guide hasn't updated that info as of yet.

Just to note, I was confused by your statement and said FSN Detroit shouldn't be blacked out, but it will be if you live in CO. Sorry about that..

Wings fans SOL with Center Ice

I was under the impression that the NHLN licensed the games to the various providers. <shrug> If I'm wrong, then so be it. But on to your next statement. The Wings game 'will' be shown on Saturday? Oh I hope that's true. If only the monkeys they hire to be their public face could have told me then I could have avoided hours on the phone and all this trouble! Thank you for the information! My guide still doesn't show it, and apparently no one in customer support at Dish knows about it. Any chance you can pass on how you know this so I can check that source in the future and avoid the heartache?

I do have the Center Ice package, and was the many people I spoke to at Dish who told me that would not be broadcasting the game on any channel. It was also Dish who stated that the Center Ice package included the first two rounds of the playoffs, so yes, they are on the hook for it.

I'm still confused as to why FSD would be blacked out in Colorado. Detroit I can see. Columbus, ok. But Colorado? It's not like watching it on TV will keep me from driving to the game :)

P.S. Dish has still lost a customer due to their very obvious "don't give a sh** attitude".

I'm still confused as to why FSD would be blacked out in Colorado. Detroit I can see. Columbus, ok. But Colorado? It's not like watching it on TV will keep me from driving to the game :)

I believe that Versus has exclusive rights to the games they broadcast. So when they do Wings games, they are not broadcast on the RSN.

If you want verification of future Versus broadcasts before they appear on the guide, try their website. Also, if you watch Versus, they will advertise upcoming games, especially during NHL broadcasts.

If NHLN, TSN, Dish Network, etc. make it clear that they don’t give a sh* about their customers, then I won’t pay them anymore. I love hockey, but I hate the abuse of customers by corporations even more.

FYI, the NHLN is TSN, and I find it hard to believe that the Stanley Cup Champs games will be blacked out in the United States. I have NHLCI and thus far every game has been on either VS or on one of the channels NHLCI.

Ohh..btw, look on nhl.com

Sat Apr 18, 2009
COLUMBUS

infoIcon.gif

DETROIT

infoIcon.gif

6:00 PM ET

TSN (HD),NHLN-US,FS-O (HD),FS-D (HD)

The game saturday will be on the NHLN in the US.

FYI, the NHLN is TSN, and I find it hard to believe that the Stanley Cup Champs games will be blacked out in the United States. I have NHLCI and thus far every game has been on either VS or on one of the channels NHLCI.

Ohh..btw, look on nhl.com

Sat Apr 18, 2009
COLUMBUS

infoIcon.gif

DETROIT

infoIcon.gif

6:00 PM ET

TSN (HD),NHLN-US,FS-O (HD),FS-D (HD)

The game saturday will be on the NHLN in the US.

Yesterday, not today as it appears, there was no listing for Detroit vs Columbus anywhere for Saturday night. On CI it did show a SD feed for Tuesday's game from Columbus.

However If I want to watch Chicago vs Calgary Saturday night I am out of luck as it is only on CSN-CH which would be blacked out in my area as I am in Denver.

That came right off the nhl.com web page under schedule and it is still there right now.

NHL.com - Schedule: April 17, 2009 to April 24, 2009

It is good to have that info and I will now start looking there also. But, right now, just looking at Program guide on Dish for Tuesday it shows Van vs St Louis, Det vs Col, and NJ vs Car all on each teams SD broadcasts.

The link above shows Det (HD), MSG Plus (HD) so I will check back with the guide before Tuesday to see if it shows up on the HD broadcasts - for Detroit. This has happened in the past when a Detroit game only showed as SD, when I set the timer, but was shown in HD also.

I was under the impression that the NHLN licensed the games to the various providers. <shrug> If I'm wrong, then so be it. But on to your next statement. The Wings game 'will' be shown on Saturday? Oh I hope that's true. If only the monkeys they hire to be their public face could have told me then I could have avoided hours on the phone and all this trouble! Thank you for the information! My guide still doesn't show it, and apparently no one in customer support at Dish knows about it. Any chance you can pass on how you know this so I can check that source in the future and avoid the heartache?

I do have the Center Ice package, and was the many people I spoke to at Dish who told me that would not be broadcasting the game on any channel. It was also Dish who stated that the Center Ice package included the first two rounds of the playoffs, so yes, they are on the hook for it.

P.S. Dish has still lost a customer due to their very obvious "don't give a sh** attitude".

The black out of FSN Detroit for you in CO has NOTHING to do with Dish.
You can buy the sports package and get the RSNs but you will NOT be able to watch ANY professional sports broadcasts unless they are in CO.
This rule is the fault of the major leagues and there is NOTHING that Dish can do about it.
By the by the NHL Network is catting the Detroit on Saturday which I can't see it because I live in Cincinnati and we are getting the Reds broadcasts on all the days the Wings are playing the Blue Jackets and some one thinks that because FSN Ohio is broadcasting the games that we here in Cincinnati can get them but we can't.

Last edited:
However If I want to watch Chicago vs Calgary Saturday night I am out of luck as it is only on CSN-CH which would be blacked out in my area as I am in Denver.

The smith, on my program guide it's showing on channels 627 (TSN feed) and 628 (CHI feed).

Assuming your have center ice in denver, why wouldn't you be able to recieve it?

These current comments are really just an issue of when the games show up on the Program Guide. A CSR has no knowledge of this issue. As alluded to in my previous post, I think all the games not on VS will be shown for the first two rounds of the playoffs, as in the past. I will not be surprised at all if the Detroit game on Tuesday does show up in HD. Maybe not even until the day of the game in the guide. I could be wrong.

Heck, if you checked Monday on VS it only showed NHL Playoffs. If you had set a timer it would have been erased when the actual teams became known and the guide was updated.

It is different this year to have 'live' games on the NHL network. All they are doing is getting the feed from one of the two teams. I am guessing this is because whoever makes the decisions realized they can't have Detroit games not available. Love them or hate them you have to admire their puck handling skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)