Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV reports that MSG HD is blacked out on NHL Center Ice due to a contract dispute between MSG and the NHL.

It affects all providers including cable, the dispute is between the station and league directly.

Jason,

To be clear, folks who have DirecTV and reside in the Sabres, Islanders, Rangers and Devils territories should be unaffected, correct? They would be getting MSG HD and MSG Plus HD for these games as their RSN.

Also, is MSG Plus HD part of the dispute?

The conflict ONLY affects Center Ice, as the dispute is with the NHL, not DirecTV. If you receive MSG HD as your regional sports net, you are fine.

I don't know 100% for sure on the MSG+HD, but would assume probably. What we don't know is if the dispute is sourced from the network or one of the teams specifically in connection with the network.

Would this affect you if you have the sports pack and watch the games on the regular channel (635 for MSG+) or is it only on the CI 700 channels?

DirecTV reports that MSG HD is blacked out on NHL Center Ice due to a contract dispute between MSG and the NHL.

It affects all providers including cable, the dispute is between the station and league directly.

Thanks for the update. I've been trying to figure out what's been going on with my MSG HD feeds. Please let us know if you learn any new information!

I guess MSG and NHL CI don't know the meaning of Customer service.

ugh this sucks hopefully settled before wild make trip to ny/nj area later this season

cant stand wild announcer dan terhar would much prefer doc and the gang

Center Ice only.

I have the sports pack and my MSG HD channels (634, 635, etc.) are also blocked out.

It's funny how I can't find out any more info on this issue besides this website. I've searched high and low and can't find anything in the news about this. I've called into the XM NHL show and they said they got a lot of calls about this. I did not make it on air but they said they were going to look into it and discuss it sometime this week.

I emailed the NHL about this and here is the response they sent me:

"Thank you for your email. In regards to your question about MSG HD in NHL Center Ice, our cable and satellite providers do not have the contractual rights from MSG to carry the HD feed in NHL Center Ice and because of this reason, it can no longer be shown. In addition, please note that this situation is the same for all of our NHL Center Ice partners and none of them will be able to carry an MSG game in HD at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, we hope to have this matter resolved soon. "

:mad:

It's not like the NHL's TV ratings are exactly through the roof, at least in the US. I can just hear that brainstorming session: "Hey guys, I've got a great idea. Let's make it even less attractive for fans to watch our games on TV. Maybe soon we can just shut the doors for good. That'll show 'em."

ugh this sucks hopefully settled before wild make trip to ny/nj area later this season

cant stand wild announcer dan terhar would much prefer doc and the gang

I can assume you are not here in Minnesota? If so this game will be blacked out anyways. I wish they werent because the Wild do not show enough HD games especially when they roll to Ch. 45. As for Dan Tehar I whole heartily agree. It is really hard to stomach him and Mike Greenlay. I really miss Mike Goldberg.

So, Darren are all the MSG's on D* only SD now, including the Buffalo Sabres games too?

DirecTV carries both in HD. And if you live in a market where MSG and MSG+ are your RSN then you'll get them in HD. This problem *only* effects the Center Ice feeds for those outside the MSG markets and as mentioned effects all providers, not just DirecTV.

Jason,

Newbie here. Many thanks for the MSG HD feed info at Center Ice. I have noticed that the HD feeds vanished a few days ago without expl from DTV. I sent off an email to DTV Cust Svs a few minutes ago and then thought...."try a Google". Found this forum. (forum set up same as Home Theater Forum :up ) I started following the Rangers & Devils since the pre-small dish days on C-Band and I really miss the HD feeds but at least the Sandard-Def feeds are still available. I assume that it's the same for other out-of-mkt Center Ice subscribers?

I guess all we can do is hope for a speedy settlement to this. "Murphey's Law"! I mainly watch those 2 teams plus the home team boys (Stars).

Stone Phillips said:
...would much prefer doc and the gang...

You said it. Luckily, I was able to tune into the std feed of the Devils/Penguins game tonight. They had a special pre-game ceremony for "Doc". Well-deserved.

I first started getting into the NHL via WOR/NY back in the "cable" days. I subscribed to one of the few Dallas-area cable providers that carried WOR (due to a corporate connection with Westinghouse at the time) back in the early 80's so I learned a lot about the game from "Jiggs" & "Ed" calling those Islanders games during the "Cup" years. Then I watched the Rangers & Islanders (Sportschannel feeds) from the MSG C-Band feeds during the 90's until I signed up with DTV in '99. By the time the Stars relocated here, I was ahead of the "natives" with the rules of the game, etc. It sure added a lot to the live games in Dallas, understanding what was happening on the ice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts