NHL Network - Actual Discussion

Anyone know why the guide does not show when actual games are played on NHLN? I only by chance found out the Red Wings are on this Wednesday.

better yet - when it does indicate there will be a game played (Devils vs. Penguins last night) it shows some replay of a game from 2002 instead. :mad:

I tune in thinking great - I can watch the Devils game in HD only to find ESPN's coverage of Dallas vs. Colorado or something... BLAH.

If you have been watching this station the banner has been showing Red Wings vs Nashville Wednesday 11/7. Detroit is not shown on any other CI channel, VS, or HDNet on that day. I don't think I can ever remember a Detroit game not on one channel that has hockey. So, I tend to believe the game will be on Wednesday on NHLN, but not confident enough to have a couple friends drop by to watch it off the DVR. As it is I can only setup the DVR to record from 4:00 - 12:00 (PST), or something like that, with no specific listing shown in the guide.

Can someone explain why I'm blacked-out for tonight's game (NJ vs Pitts)? I subscribe to NHL Center Ice package - game is not being broadcast on any of the Center Ice channels. The only channel is 403 NHLN. I'm thinking great! HD tonight but when I try to select it, I'm told that it's blacked out. I am over 150 miles from the NJ arena and over 200 miles from Pittsburgh. Neither of the networks broadcasting the game (FSNY and FSPitt) are in my area without a subscription. If I'm already paying $140 for NHL Center Ice, why should I have to pay for an additional subscription to a regional sports package?!!

This is the 4th (maybe 5th) year that I have subscribed to NHL Center Ice and have never missed a NJ game. What's the deal?

I got a reply from E* about NHL Network in SD. Here's their response:

Brad,

Thanks for the email and your interest in the NHL Network in SD. We certainly appreciate the feedback and will pass it along to our programming department for review.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great rest of the day and a Happy Thanksgiving. My office hours are Tuesday – Thursday & Sunday from 10am – 9pm MST. My contact info is listed below.

Sincerely,
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Executive Communications

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Dba DISH Network

Direct: (720)%%$-^&^&

Guess I must have gotten their attention. I don't know if it'll do any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a generic response with the exception of the name at the bottom. I once e-mailed DISH about Chiller and, back before my ex-girlfriend moved home to Toronto after college, she had e-mailed them about moving a network (I think it was SOAPNet) to the lower package. Regardless, we both got identical responses (passed along to programming department). The more people that e-mail and call about this, though, the quicker it might be resolved. It does need to be in SD...

I'm surprised this isn't moved to the HD forum at this point, though.

A mod should probably remove the phone number and possibly the name of the Dish employee above in post #131.
The information is fine, but posting the contact info shouldn't be.

I have a question about the NHL Network...I about lost it last week when the Devils Penguins games was mysteriously blacked out. I Live in North East Ohio and my regional sports channels are STO and FSN-Ohio, however, the game was blacked out on the NHLN. I called Dish to complain and the first guy told me there is trouble with the channel and thats why it was not working. 2 hours later I got heated, spent about 1 hour on the phone telling them it is terrible service to tell me it is broken just to get me off the phone when it isnt. I spoke to about 3 people, none of whom could tell me the reason for the black out. They kept telling me to try different channels, which I believe would have been FSN Pit and FSNeast/NJ. I get to watch these two tems on a regular basis when they are on the Center Ice Package so why was I suddenly blacked out when it went to the NHLN?

Nobody had an answer and I was angry. I told the one of the ladies I spoke with she is crazy if she thinks the NHL said to black this game out...the NHL has a hard enough time getting viewers, so the last thing they would do is suddenly black this game out but she said it is. I told her to go to a TV and check the channel, she was in denver and she tried telling me it was blacked out for her, I demanded a supervisor, who informed me there was no way she went to a TV to check. At this point I got angry some more, but at least the supervisor was a bit nicer than the rest. he credited me 5 bucks, but he also was mystified as to why the game would have been blacked out for me.

Last Sunday when the red wings blue jackets game was on NHLN, it was blacked out too, but that is because I got the HD feed on FSN-Ohio so I understood, but this was just plain dumb...If I could get the regional channels in those town it would be one thing, but this was plain ridiculous, especially because nobody had an answer. Is this what I should come te expect every time the Penguins play on NHLN? UHHHH!

Please somebody shed some light on this mystery for me.

I live in Dayton, OH and since I'm a Devils fan I tuned in and watched this game fine on NHLN-HD. It was not blacked out for me but then none of the Devils games are except for if/when they ever play Columbus. All of the Columbus games are blacked out on the Center Ice package and NHL HD feeds. I have to tune to my local regional Fox Cincinnati HD channel to see those games.

Originally the NHLN HD programming guide was showing the Canadian feed information as there was another Devils-Penguins game shown on the schedule earlier this month that was not shown in the US. Luckily the Center Ice package had it (also in HD out of PITT). That problem has since been fixed so I have no idea why it was not shown to you unless you are considered to be within the Pittsburgh local market. Since the NHLN had the rights to the feed, it was not shown on the Center Ice package - thus you couldn't get it.

If you can tune to the Fox-Pitt station, you would be considered in the blackout region for that game - and it was played at Pitt so blackout would apply - that's the only thing I can think of really.

Now aside from your frustration - I am curious why DISH carries New York regionals in HD (MSG and FSNNY) but none of the Center Ice HD feeds are those stations? It's pissing me off that as a Devils fan the only time I see any HD games are if they play in the Pittsburgh or Florida markets. DISH's own programming guide shows the MSG-HD feeds for locals (tonight's game vs. Dallas for example on MSG-412 in HD) yet I never get that feed on the Center Ice Package when other teams have almost all their games in HD.

This is such an issue for me I'm going to post a new thread asking about it as it doesn't relate to this thread title.

Good luck with your NHL viewing... it's a chore at time - I know.

The mid season deal starts after the all star break usually. They have a 2nd week of free preview to kick of the half season special rate. That's not until Jan 27th - so you'd have 2 more months to wait. Lotta hockey between now and then.

If you weight it out on a per-game cost, you'd still be close to the same cost now as if you waited since it's after the mid-point in the season when the all star game happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)