Nightly reboots: Why they must go...

Sorry, but I have been hearing from Dish that this reboot thing is being "actively worked on" for almost a year now and nothing has been done. As a result, I am "actively working on" getting through my two year contract so I can get rid of this nightly annoyance. Even though I have the thing set to record from 1 - 2 AM, the Joey in my bedroom still reboots between 1 and 1:30 and I have not been able to find a work-around. It would not even be quite so irritating if the show you were watching came back on after the reboot, but noooo can't even have that...the stupid screen saver comes on! It's insane.

Let is know where you find an alternative that doesn't reboot. Cable, OTA? Does Direct reboot?

The big difference Mike is that, with other receivers, you have the option to change the reboot time. Not so with the Hopper.... Something I've thought about, but have not seen mentioned, with regard to the 1AM reboot is that Auto-Hop begins after 1AM the following day for PTAT. I wonder if this has anything to do with why it is necessary to have a daily reboot.....

Not sure technically if a reboot is needed for AutoHop, but the inability to modify that 1am timeframe for the update is clearly tied to that. It was announced early on that the AutoHop feature would be available after 1am for the previous day's programming. Apparently, with the way it works now, if we were allowed to modify the update time, AutoHop would probably not be available until after that new update time. I can live with that...

Sorry, but I have been hearing from Dish that this reboot thing is being "actively worked on" for almost a year now and nothing has been done. As a result, I am "actively working on" getting through my two year contract so I can get rid of this nightly annoyance. Even though I have the thing set to record from 1 - 2 AM, the Joey in my bedroom still reboots between 1 and 1:30 and I have not been able to find a work-around. It would not even be quite so irritating if the show you were watching came back on after the reboot, but noooo can't even have that...the stupid screen saver comes on! It's insane.

Can you point me to a statement that Dish is working on this before now?

I didn't know Joeys rebooted nightly. But, I'm never around one that time of night.

Can you point me to a statement that Dish is working on this before now?
More than likely she was getting repeatedly misinformed by customer service.

Anyone reading this forum would have seen Scott's previous comments saying there was some difficulty in resolving this and that it would take some time (if it happened).

All DISH receivers reboot around 1:00am to help clear out any problems , do housekeeping , download the newest guide, etc. WIthout , you would suffer more random reboots during the day time, when you are actually awake to watch tv. I've had them for over 16 &1/2 years and I don't even think about it anymore.

Interesting. I'm generally not watching television at this time of night during the week, but it's much more likely to be on if it's the weekend. 1 AM strikes me as a bit 'early'...

I'm not up watching TV at 1AM either, but if I had them, one of the hoppers would be in my bedroom. I do not want to hear that thing spin up in the middle of the night. My 722 currently reboots at 10AM.

I would actually prefer to have the thing reboot at 1-1:30pm rather than AM. More often then not, I think most of us would be away then (work and what not). I'd think people are more likely to be home at 1am. I don't think it should really be up to dish to tell me what time is most convenient for me to have it reboot.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not sure technically if a reboot is needed for AutoHop, but the inability to modify that 1am timeframe for the update is clearly tied to that. It was announced early on that the AutoHop feature would be available after 1am for the previous day's programming. Apparently, with the way it works now, if we were allowed to modify the update time, AutoHop would probably not be available until after that new update time. I can live with that...

I can say that this is not the case. When autohop first came out I would have access to some programs before 11PM same day (pacific time, but past 1AM on the east coast). That all went away at some point (I don't remember if it was tied to a software revision or not). But now I don't get autohop until after 1AM local time.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that autohop was not dependent on my receiver undergoing a nightly reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Apparently there's something holding it back, AutoHop seems like the most plausible reason, but not based on that report. Hell I don't even use AutoHop, so even if it were the case there should be an option to break AutoHop.

That's how they get their updates.

It's not that many lines of code.

At the beginning of the file:

Code:
if [ ! -f fw_upgrade_file ]
then
      exit 
fi

Of course it could be 1 line of code easily, but a little less readable:

Code:
[[ ! -f fw_upgrade_file ] && exit

I guess my point is that they (Dish) aren't thinking about this as a server providing a service and that outages should be avoided.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Other than SW/FW updates, there is no legitimate reason for a reboot. Guide updates should be able to happen without reboot. In fact, if they would just do updates through broadband (FW and EPG), there would be no need to lose a tuner or any functionality, either.

I most certainly agree that the reboots are unnecessary unless there is an actual firmware update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts