Nimiq 4 strength

I've been one of their subscribers for over two years. Their HD package is a bit thin but adequate for my needs. I had a minor problem with my DVR, but it was taken care of in rapid fashon. I highly recommend Star Choice, no matter which side of the border you live on.
Next year, Nimiq 5 is due to launch. I'm sure its pattern will be as tight as Nimiq 4's, so Bell reception in most of the US will be no more.

I thought Nimiq 5 was going to 72.7 and not to 91. Has this now been changed?

nimiq 82 deg.

Here in Philadelphia I am missing tr 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16,17,20,21,24,25,28 and 32 -and yesterday 1,4,5,6,8,10,12, were missing. I have the 9200 PVR and the dish that was supplied in the package! I am missing TSN-HD 850 and CTV sports 851 among others. I am going to look at Star Choice and see if that's workable. It would be interesting to know how many Bell (paying) subscribers
that are in the U.S. will stop subscribing? And,yes I think the bird is tilted so Ca. gets a better signal-conserving power onboard the craft. I hope this info is useful to someone else. (p.s.) the signal dropped to average 43% from the previous 75% except tr 3 is 96%

82 Also

Here in Sacramento 82 is gone(except for tp 2). Plus 91 was never completely avail., nothing on tp 4,8,10,12,18,22,24,26. Fun while it lasted. Will be canceling very soon.

It will be interesting to see how many US customers Bell actually had when people start to cancel there account. I estimated a guess about 8000 in the US which is equal to 5.3 milion per year of revenue.

I could be way off on the 8000....even if it was 4000 that still equal 2.6 mil per year of revenue lost to Star Choice

I'm sure there are way more than 8,000 Expressvu subs in the states. A friend of mine that works at Echostar said that 100,000+ has been said in front of him when it came to Expressvu subs they thought were in the US.

Who really knows though...

I'm sure he was referring to the hackers (those stealing the service) which likely explains the restricted foot print.

-Mike

As of 7:30 Central Time here in Nashville, I suddenly find I have some of the transponders back and can pull in some stations.

I have the regular dish and apart from TP 2 and 3, most of the strengths are around 47.

The transponders I can now see are
2, 3, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 28, 32

The channels that now come in are

Not certain what all this means, but worth while waiting around a little and seeing if they change it back to nothing or bring the other transponders into a US footprint.

I'm sure he was referring to the hackers (those stealing the service) which likely explains the restricted foot print.

-Mike

He said subs so I assume it's people who pay and are not hackers. He said that it had something to do with the credit card on the account state of issue. I guess with that info, they can see how many are using US based credit cards? I know of a few people here in Colorado that have Expressvu accounts so I would think there's a good amount of paying for service south of the border.

You would think there are more hackers in Canada hacking Expressvu than in the US...so why would they move the footprint because of that?

As of 7:30 Central Time here in Nashville, I suddenly find I have some of the transponders back and can pull in some stations.

I have the regular dish and apart from TP 2 and 3, most of the strengths are around 47.

The transponders I can now see are
2, 3, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 28, 32

The channels that now come in are

Not certain what all this means, but worth while waiting around a little and seeing if they change it back to nothing or bring the other transponders into a US footprint.

Maybe the flood of cancellations this past week has made the suits rethink that tight footprint.

Of course, with my great timing, I just ordered CI from Dish, and next week 82 will cover CONUS!! :D

Still nothing on 82 here in Kansas City. Doesn't matter, my Star Choice PVR and dish are on their way. I'm switching regardless of whether 82 comes back for me or not.

You would think there are more hackers in Canada hacking Expressvu than in the US...so why would they move the footprint because of that?

There was a post somewhere around here (cant find it now) but it has a good point

Dish has authority to use 77W for their Eastern Arc system (along with 72.5 & 61.5)

with the FCC allowing that and 82 only being 4 1/2 degrees apart, maybe Dish and Bell have to tighten up their footprints so those 2 sats can work for the respective companies....because DBS needed to be 9 degrees apart...maybe the footprint thing might have something to do with it

Can anybody verify how the 9242 Signal Strength Meter operates?

Yesterday evening we had clear skies and I pulled in most of the even transponders with a multiple of 4. I was getting signal strengths of around 44-46.

Today it is quite overcast and I cannot find a lot of the transponders I could see yesterday. However there are one or two that still work such as TP8. If I go to the point dish menu it shows around 39-41, but if I move to another transponder that I received yesterday it tells me there was no signal acquisition. If I then go back to TP8 it cannot acquire a lock straight away but does relock with time. It can take a minute or two, but once it finds it it seems to remain locked on.

I assume that the receiver can only give a strength for a transponder it can lock onto and it looks as if I am right on the edge of that signal threshold.

A larger dish may help but I am not about to rush into that option till things settle down a little bit more.

Finally pull my receiver out after having it put on hold since July. I live just south of Richmond, va and I get transponders 2,3,8,9,12,13,16,17,20,21,22,24,25,26,28,29,30, and 32. On 2 i get 64 and on 3 I get 98. All the others are in the upper 40's to around 52. Dont know if this is a true signal though since i dont think the 82 sat is skew in right since even last year every time it rained I lost signal while i had no problem with the 91. So the worst i would probaly have to do is get a bigger dish for the 82. Right? Dennis

They clearly made an adjustment yesterday. With the exception of transponder 2, everything here (80 air miles south of Trail, BC) is in the mid to upper 80's. Transponder 2 is at 78. Previously, about half were under 80.

They clearly made an adjustment yesterday. With the exception of transponder 2, everything here (80 air miles south of Trail, BC) is in the mid to upper 80's. Transponder 2 is at 78. Previously, about half were under 80.

Still no improvement here in Northern California. Only Transponder 2 is viewable, and that's with a 90-cm dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts