Nimiq 6 Footprint map released

I live in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago IL. According to the Nimiq 4 map for 82 deg. I am about 12 miles outside of the footprint. However on my 18" x 23" Dish 500 dish I get a signal as low as 57 on TR 6, 55 on TR 30 and as high as 71 on TR 1 & 67 on TR 32. For the most park I get satisfactory reception however my HD channels get hit more often by rain fade. (On soon to be replaced 91 sats I get as low 78 as on TR 2 and as high as 97 on TR 21.)

Based on this I will probably upgrade to a Channel Master 84E 40"inch in the spring which would give much higher gain. Impaktproducts.com offers it with the options for Dish Pro LNBF which will also work for Bell 82/91 sats. They also offer two dual LNBF's if you have an older receiver which doesn't support Dish Pro technology.
Footprint maps aren't perfect. If you are close the edge of a satellite footprint map you might get lucky with a standard sized dish or you might get good service with a larger dish. At a certain point though if you are too far outside of the 82 deg footprint (or the similar new 91 bird footprint) (Like in the Southern US states) you are S.O.L. no matter how big your dish is and will need to go with Star Choice. I'm a big fan of BPM TV which is only on Bell so I'm sticking with Bell as long as their footprint doesn't shrink any further.

Has anyone heard when we will lose 91 in AZ hope not till end of March when we go home,I already have a Direct receiver sitting in my storage compartment if we loose Bell.

Marg we're wondering the same thing. I saw a posting somwhere else that said summer but I dont know if thats true. I looked at Telsats website once and it didn't say a date. We are starting to find out about Shaw Direct so well be ready to switch.

Has anyone heard when we will lose 91 in AZ hope not till end of March when we go home,I already have a Direct receiver sitting in my storage compartment if we loose Bell.

Marg, are you planning to take the Direct TV dish back to Canada.....I wonder if it will work up here.

--
Gordon

Direct work in Canada but you have to remember Canada is a BIG place so it might not work everywhere, or you might need a larger Dish than standard, just the same as happens when people in the US want Bell TV, they might need a larger Dish depending on their location.

Around Southern Ontario, the std Direct Dish works great.

I have seen a couple of the standard Direct Dishes in Manitoba as well, and they seem to work fine. Southern Manitoba that is.

My uncle has it for years now ,he lives in London Ontario and it works great according to him.I still find it hard to believe Bell could take that many people cancelling there service at once there would be thousands.

I just hate to loss all my Canadian news channels, TSN sports and CBC curling, AND THE JETS GAMES. (GO JETS)

Is it possible that even when the new satellite is launched, the old one will remain up for a period of time (years)..??

I'll probably switch over to Star Choice.

Is Star choice what is now Shaw Direct..??

--
Gordon

Is it possible that even when the new satellite is launched, the old one will remain up for a period of time (years)..??
No, that will not happen, the new satellite footprint at 91W will be gone from most of the US later this year.

Is Star choice what is now Shaw Direct..??
Yes, Star Choice changed their name to Shaw Direct a while ago.

Last edited:
So, Ice...do you think the 30" should work on 91-I think I mentioned before the 30" I have on the 82 sat...is good most of the time sometimes toward evening or at night the trs 4 and 5 are below the threshold. It was too hot today to try very long to re-aim the dish for 91...any input is always appreciated-I am approx 40 n and 75 w depending on which site I use???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)