Nintendo to announce Revolution in May 2006

angiodan said:
Nintendo does what it does best, sits back, doesn't even try to get into these console battles, and caters to kids (and parents who won't plunk down more than $200 for any console), as well as the hardcore players who want to play the Zeldas, etc. that are exclusives as mwgii said.
Yes, they would sell more software if it was on other platforms, but I feel they are proud of the fact that their biggest games are their exclusives. You can't say that about too many other titles that are worth a damn in todays world.
Their software titles are their cash cow, along with the handhelds. And as long as they make a profit on the consoles, they'll keep making them.
I do think their controller will be a revolution in gaming. Out of the box thinking and design, I can't wait to try one.

This is very true... In fact, the designer for the controller is the man who designed the original NES and Super NES, back when they were the big dogs in the gaming market. After he left Nintendo was having a hard time competing with the likes of the Playstation and later the XBOX. They know that they are #3 in the console market and that they live off of their hand helds and few game titles. That is why they brought back the guy that gave them so much success revolutionizing the console. (Hence why they are calling the next console revolution). The controller for this system is crazy, and has the potential to change the game console as we know it. At the same time, it has the potential to permanently bring an end to Nintendo gaming consoles if it fails to bring them any kind of profit and success.

I will probably pick one up to check out the controller, and my wife likes playing Zelda games.

Unless they send out wired units you'll HAVE to buy one to even try it...

Regardless of past success, the market is completely different than it was in the mid 80's...So far that controller isn't impressing many people. A few games would help though...