No 4x fast forward = deal breaker

riderj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
Branson
I have had the Hopper3 for nearly a month, and yesterday I called Dish and told them to take it back and give me the older Hopper instead. They will be here Thursday afternoon to do the switch.

I have been aggravated beyond belief using the 15x fast forward, and refuse to have that ruin my enjoyment of watching programs.

If anyone has information that Dish IS working on putting 4x on the H3, please let me know that. I haven’t found any indication that they are working, or planning on working, on this issue though.

The 4x issue was my sole reason for requesting the switch, but I surely won’t miss all the little bugs and poorly conceived “features”. They surely could have used more time with testing before marketing; or perhaps that is what they ARE doing with us.

One thing about Dish: they are not at all responsive to customers. You can not talk to anyone that can speak with authority on these types of concerns, If they see enough people refusing to accept it with no 4x, then maybe they will see the light.
jr

One point to consider: Given that the H3 has the newer Hopper software, what makes you think the orders Hoppers won't eventually be switched over? Then you'll still have the same aggravation, but on older slower hardware.

Your complaints about Dish CS strike me as not being unique to Dish. I can't imagine most companies provide customer service call centers with information about unannounced products or features. That's just a recipe for disaster. And the actual engineers are suited to engineering, not taking customer phone calls...

Reactions: JSheridan
Not trolling you for a debate but just curious, as I never use anything but skip forward and back. That's the reason I've stuck with Dish all these years in that I don't believe Directv had that for the longest time.

What is is you use 4x speed for...sports?

Reactions: stardust3
Your mean fast forward of 15x, 60x 300x? You do know that once you start fast forward, hitting the button again increases the fast forward speed?

300x takes you to te end pretty quick and 4x is so slow, its not worth using. Just my opinion. I can see enough details in 15x that if not using 30 second skip, I never use 4x.

I can sympathize as I was a big user of 4X for several instances that it worked best for me, and I miss it greatly.

That said, the OP should probably keep the H3 and prepare to move on, since the new UI will be coming to the older Hoppers, likely in the next few weeks. Only option to keep 4X beyond that would be to go backward to a ViP receiver.

Reactions: stimpson and TheLip
How many times do you have to hit it to get 4x? I'm confused...

On the old Hopper UI, the first time you hit FF/REW, you got 4X, then each additional push of the button bumped you to successively to 15X, 60X, and finally 300X.

On the new CarbonUI, the first time you hit FF/REW, you get 15X, followed by 60X and 300X.

I rarely ever use slow motion feature at all. So it makes no difference to me personally, but if it is that important to you , then go back to an older hopper. But I am afraid that once they upgrade the older hopper lines to the new carbon interface, you might be in the same boat you are now.

If anyone has information that Dish IS working on putting 4x on the H3
No one is "working" on putting 4x FF (or rewind) on the Hopper. There's nothing to work on. This is a design or user-interface decision to remove it. Why ? No one here has any idea unless they work in the engineering group at Dish.

DISH knows exactly how many people used the 4X speed which obviously isn't very many or they would have kept it.

It often isn't going to end well if one feature, one channel, etc is make or break. But I 100% get not liking losing a feature you use all the time it was part of my thinking when I did not get a Hopper and have so far kept my VIP receivers. There is another side however to it and that is the new features that I am not able to enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)