No BlockBuster (Broadband Problem)

sawmill

Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
KY
Just had a Hopper & 1 Joey installed today.
Everything looked okay when the tech left.
But when I tried BlockBuster, it said I needed
to hook-up a broadband connection. But
it already had an ethernet cable hooked up
and showed green across the network settings.

I tried all the usual stuff, resets, reboots, and
finally called Dish. The broadband tech told me
to try the same things again, no change. He
finally said he'd have to report it to the engineers
and to call back in a few days if it didn't correct
itself.

One other thing: The Joey's IP number starts
with 169, but all other DHCP values on the LAN
(including the Hopper's IP) start with 192.
(Is this a private network between the Hopper & Joey?)

Any ideas why the Hopper isn't communicating?

Thanks.

The Hopper's IP address is being assigned from your router. The Joey's does appear to be assigned by the Hopper in a private "Hoppernet", as you surmise.

AFAIK, the Joey should be able to connect to B@H through its coax connection to the Hopper, which is connected to the Internet. You shouldn't need Ethernet on the Joey. Have you tried it without the Ethernet connected to the Joey? Have you tried viewing other OnDemand stuff?

You will need the Hopper Internet Connector to connect the Joey to the internet through the hopper network.

It will not work without it. The alternative is to get it the wireless adapter or connect it to your network with an ethernet connection.

DBS Commando said:
You will need the Hopper Internet Connector to connect the Joey to the internet through the hopper network.

It will not work without it. The alternative is to get it the wireless adapter or connect it to your network with an ethernet connection.

No you don't. If you connect ethernet to the Hopper it connects the whole system to broadband.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I do not have a HIC, just broadband hooked to my Hopper and all the Joeys can access Blockbuster and VOD fine (even though the status screens show them NOT connected to broadband.

I have only broadband hooked to my hopper and my joeys (1 hopper, 3 joeys) can all connect to BB@H. At first they wouldn't and had the must connect to broadband message, but gave them about 1 hour after install and they could. They still show no broadband connection in the setup.

The IP you're getting starting with 169.x.x.x is a self assigned IP and means the unit is not getting a valid IP from the router.

IOW, not connecting or seeing the router.

Studying the wiring diagrams again last night, I'm thinking my broadband problem might be because I have a DPP44 switch (connecting three 1-meter dishes). All of the diagrams with a switch in the mix used the HIC. BTW, the installer surprised me when he said he had to run a separate coax for the power inserter to the switch, but looking at the diagrams, it appears he was right. I'm guessing the switch might might require the HIC difference, also.

rdinkel said:
If you have two Hoppers, do each of them now need to be connected separately to the Internet, or is one enough for the whole system?

As of right now yes each hopper should have a broadband connection as they (each hopper) is seen as a separate network. However once the software is out which lets hoppers see each other then you only need broadband to one hopper.

No if your using a dpp44 you do not need to use a hic if you have broadband plugged into the hopper.

And yes it needs its own line from the power inserted to the switch.

My problem appears to be a hopper issue, scott is correct my Joey with no broadband errors is fine as long as my hopper sees the Internet. Issue is my hopper which is connected to my router via Ethernet seems to drop Internet access every two minutes. If I'm on the "on demand" menu it will display press record to reconnect to Internet which it does just fine. But then it dropps it again in 2 minutes. If I check broadband status it says aok...

I hope it's a software bug :-/

SCOTT - What do you think about post # 9, please? Thanks.
the dpp44 is a switch that's set outside of the moca network. (before the node)

i don't think that's you're problem unless by some remote chance there is some interference. I'm guessing more like some bug in the software or maybe some sort of rebooting is needed.

Studying the wiring diagrams again last night, I'm thinking my broadband problem might be because I have a DPP44 switch (connecting three 1-meter dishes). All of the diagrams with a switch in the mix used the HIC. BTW, the installer surprised me when he said he had to run a separate coax for the power inserter to the switch, but looking at the diagrams, it appears he was right. I'm guessing the switch might might require the HIC difference, also.
I have a dpp44 switch with one Hopper and one Joey and NO HIC. Everything works as it should with only the Hopper connected to the network via ethernet into a wi-fi bridge.

Getting mine installed Tuesday. Does the Hopper need to be connected to the Internet or can you just connect a Joey? The easiest place to plug into my network is where I would actually prefer putting a Joey.

Getting mine installed Tuesday. Does the Hopper need to be connected to the Internet or can you just connect a Joey? The easiest place to plug into my network is where I would actually prefer putting a Joey.
the installer can use a Hopper internet Connector at the joey location and you'll be ok.

Ideally you want the Hopper direct wired, but HIC is a good alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)