No Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

melro

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have a GI 4DTV 920 with a KTI dish. I was using it last week just fine when I realized TV land was missing. I followed it to W5 satellite and realized I hadn't tuned that in. I went to the satellite programming page clicked on W5 and ended up tuning in the HGTV channel. I decided I would purchase more programming, called NPS, the girl gave me a hit and NADA. I just realized after changing my LNB because ATS thought that might be the problem, that I haven't been able to get a green DC light. I kept thinking the Sat/TV light was it. The dish moves from W7 to W6 in the same arc as before. But the message is alway "cannot find channel, continuing to search." The guide is always "searching for info." What's up with this message? Why can't I tune in channels? Help!

Do you have any analog channels being received? I would start with that, this will determine if your receiver is receiving anything. If so and isn't strong the signal may too weak to get a digital lock.

NADA. Cannot get a DC light. Just changed the lnb. Have ordered a digital volt meter to check lnb cable. Unless it's the receiver...

Thanks for replying so quickly.

NADA. Cannot get a DC light. Just changed the lnb. Have ordered a digital volt meter to check lnb cable.

Go to G1-5 and see if you can get the Arts channel, if you can go to G1-3 to see if you also have any quality signal. This is a good starting point to make sure the dish alignment is correct and the LNB is working and hooked to the correct input on the 920. Also check to make sure you still have the correct feedhorn selected in the 920 menu.

No channels, not 03 or 05. Good signal quality on all satellites. "Cannot find channel." The lnb was same as old lnb. Just a swap out. Never disconnected or touched anything else. LNB hookup same as it was when it worked. Dish hits on every satellite. Auto dish and auto skew get best quality.

It happened after I tuned in a channel on W5. I keep thinking that programming that satellite (auto) screwed up the other satellite positions. Possible? Except the quality of signal is good 76. I never get much higher than that out here.

I hope it's not the receiver! It's not lookin good.

Does your feedhorn use a blue servo motor it's possibly that you have a bad one and have lost either the H or V channels. Do you see W5 header and the channel info and below that the cannot find channel stuff , if so then go through the music channels like 823 and up which will switch from H and V, if it is the motor some of the channels will come in. Both G1-3 and G1-5 are both H, and your not going to get a rehit without the H. Something to check.

Thanks but no channels. Not a polarity thing. Had a big dish for 20 years and have had that happen before. Not this time. I'm not getting anything. Weirdest thing I've seen especially with new lnb.

My 4DTV receiver worked partially even after it fell one time. The receiver is pretty tough. I sent the receiver in after that. It was about 3 years ago. I had trouble since then going to G4. I would get sound but no picture. I just didn't use that satellite because receiver would get hung up on it.

If I check out the voltage on the cable and it checks out then it's my receiver somehow.

Don't have any independent satellite guys in my area at all. The guy I had for almost 18 years is gone, a truck driver now who is never home. Everyone else is connected to dish or direct tv. We're winging on our own now. Trouble is I'm it for my house. My husband is techie illiterate. I'm the one that changed out the lnb standing on a 12 ft. ladder. Lovely huh? I'm the one that always hooks everything up. I've put together circuit boards before so I'm not afraid to tackle most things. I basically get lost in the lingo about satellite systems is all. Also I don't have an installation manual for my 4DTV, never did and the manual that is a reference guide is a goof. It repeats section 6.0 twice. So I'm really winging it.

Thanks but no channels. Not a polarity thing. Had a big dish for 20 years and have had that happen before. Not this time. I'm not getting anything. Weirdest thing I've seen especially with new lnb.

OK, I'm just wondering why you needed to replaced the LNB and what type feedhorn are you using? If you can't get G1-5 either you have a bad LNB or your dish is no longer tracking correctly (hard to see the 920 being bad) and your not hitting the right dish. At this point you might try this to see if you can get G1-5 or even G4-16, select the channel you want and then go to the menu for the limit setting and use either E or W key and hunt for a picture.

Another question where are you located because just maybe someone on the forum is close to you.

ATS Electronics suggested a new lnb. I believe I have a chapparal feedhorn but haven't been out there to look yet. I'm going to mess around with G4 again. That's where I was having receiver problems and getting hung where I couldn't do options or anything. I just avoided that satellite, which leads me back to the receiver.

Anyway, I'll check the feedhorn and get back. I'm in SE Michigan, Monroe, County.

Messing with east and west limits finds nothing. I'm not bringing a picture in or getting a DC signal. I think it's my receiver. Am going to find someone I can send it to I guess. Anyone know where I can get a proper installation manual for my GI 4DTV 920? The manual I have is not right, it repeats sections and leaves out tuning in satellites.

You've checked the receiver settings for the correct feedhorn selection, correct?
It's one thing to not get the digital signals, there the hardest, but not getting any analog channels makes me at least think you've got maybe a bad cable connector or maybe your cables are reversed between the KU and C.

When you were scanning and watching the display (signal) for a anaog channel did the signal ever change in reading. Need to be either on G1-5 or G4-16 to get a good reading. Did the reading stay flat, like at 10 or 90+?

Another think to try is reverse the cables from C & KU on both the dish and the receiver just to check that sure the cable to the C LNB is good.

THe other problem you might have is that the servo motor is not moving correctly, test it by removing it from the feedhorn and hooking it up to the receiver and watch to see if it moves when selecting different even/odd channels.

The only company I've heard about that is able to repair the 920's is ATS.

Gotta tell ya. I messed with the satellite limits east and west and the whole dish is screwed up now. Now I really need help. I wrote down the east and west limits for G1 05 but can't make them change back now. Now it says GI05 is beyond limits. What a mess.

Someone help me get my dish limits back to normal. No sense sending the receiver in for problems when the dish isn't tracking correctly anymore.

I desperately need an installation manual for my 4DTV with 920 sidecar. I have none. My receiver will no longer respond after announcing my dish reached its west limit way under the number that was there originally for it. When I was on G1 05, the east limit originally read 4628 and the west limit was 5224. Now the dish reaches those limits before those numbers, but at the west limit my receiver stopped responding. Can't get a satellite, or options or anything. There's a short somewhere in my receiver I think.

I desperately need an installation manual for my 4DTV with 920 sidecar. I have none. My receiver will no longer respond after announcing my dish reached its west limit way under the number that was there originally for it. When I was on G1 05, the east limit originally read 4628 and the west limit was 5224. Now the dish reaches those limits before those numbers, but at the west limit my receiver stopped responding. Can't get a satellite, or options or anything. There's a short somewhere in my receiver I think.

Am I to understand you are using a sidecar along with the 920, if so remove it and get everything back to a single receiver. My suggestion is to do a Master Reset and then set your limits. You might also go to skyvision site and read some of their articles.

Skyvision Online! Cband Satellite TV Resources

I did that. I'm using only my 920 receiver. I got my east-west limits back. I don't think this is the problem anyway. I had trouble with my receiver and believe I will probably be sending it into ATS. I've written them about changing the lnb and it didn't work. So there are only so many things. The lnb, the cable but I'm getting great signal quality just no picture, and the receiver. I've been on Skyvision and learned a lot like page C diagnostics, which does show a problem. I'm getting warmer I guess. Thanks again for all the replies. I'm slowly going through them all.
Looking for a installation manual online right now. Don't have one.

I just checked the voltage from my receiver and at the lnb end and I am getting 20.3 everywhere. I am getting power to that new lnb. I checked the feedhorn. Chapparal/Corotor. I should probably send my receiver into ATS to be checked out. I may have found someone in Toledo that can come out but that will cost me more for the trip than sending it out.

UHF Antenna on 4DTV receiver

Got a quick question. What is the little antenna on the back of my 920 4DTV receiver for? It states UHF?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)