no clarity...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcohen@directv1

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
avon,co
directv installer here, so i had an HD job today. install went beautifully! after i activated my boxes and set the resolution to 1080i, on 2 newer sony bravia flat panels, i noticed the picture still looked like hell....no clarity! does anyone know if there is an "HD" set up on newer sony tv's???

Welcome

Just so you know, there is an installer forum too.

No special settings that I have seen on Sony's new or old.

Did you check all the picture settings (color, contrast, tint, etc)?

HD lite IMHO is not very good, be it on Direct, Dish, Comcast, whatever. They all don't have the bandwidth required to provide a picture the true concept of HD was suppose to be. After watching Broadcast masters for over 20 years all the HD lite that is out there can't compare.

If the HDTV set is calibrated properly, there isn't much difference between connecting with HDMI vs component. But on many sets you do have to customize the settings for each, the same settings will not be optimal for both.

D*'s HD is certainly Lite as compared to full bandwidth HD. But it is much better than what E* serves up. DirecTV gives an additional 50% or more bandwidth to many HD channels as compared to Dish.

There isn't anything special about connecting to a Sony HD set. You need to re-check the install.

I have a SONY KDL-52EX701 and my picture is beautiful! I am really surprised your installer did not take the time to do all the setup; mine did.

While HDMI would be nice, a component hookup should work for 1080i. I can only speak for HR24's since that is the only HD box I have, but you should check your setup screen on your DirecTV box. Get to your HDTV video setup (Menu on the remote > Parental, Fav's, & Setup > System Setup>HDTV> Video). Make sure your "Native" setting is "On". Screen Format should be "Original". On the next tab down (TV Ratio) make sure it is set to Widescreen 16:9. Next go to the TV Resolutions setting, Make sure all the boxes are checked (have dots in them) since you new TVs will handle all the resolutions listed. This should make a difference.

D*'s HD is certainly Lite as compared to full bandwidth HD. But it is much better than what E* serves up. DirecTV gives an additional 50% or more bandwidth to many HD channels as compared to Dish.

Dishs HD is soft digital artifact mess. Direct does a better job yes but its still lite. If most that have HD lite saw a HD master they would be in awe. The day I got Direct installed, I was showing the installer my c band system. He thought that the SD channels were HD :D

I ran C/Ku BUD back in the day and agree they are the best PQ and if given the choice would prefer it for variety, selection and price (they couldn't compete overall) but given the OP's post I doubt he was referring to ANY actual HD programming.

There should be no difference in picture quality via HDMI or component, nor color issues either. Try the Smithsonian Channel to test the picture.

Jeff

dont think that is the OPS issue - its likely he wasn't even viewing HD material.

AND he hasn't even come back so likely a dead issue

Don't you love it when the thread starter doesn't return to give us an update?
Or to answer the questions raised here to try to help?

directv installer here, so i had an HD job today. install went beautifully! after i activated my boxes and set the resolution to 1080i, on 2 newer sony bravia flat panels, i noticed the picture still looked like hell....no clarity! does anyone know if there is an "HD" set up on newer sony tv's???

We have one of the newer Sony Bravia LED LCD TVs. We also have Dish, but we had DirecTV in the past. When we had the receiver set to 1080i, the picture did not look right along with the movements. However, setting the receiver to 720p made a slight difference on the movement on HD channels, and the picture and movement on SD channels looked a lot better. I am not sure if you have an LED LCD TV, but I thought this might help.
We are also using HDMI, not component cables, but I do not notice a huge difference between using either. However, having one cable instead of five cables seems more convenient unless you want to use the HDMI input for something that is 1080p.

I also did some online "research," and found this about our model and the "best" settings:
Sony KDL-32EX700 LED LCD HDTV Review - Sony - Sony Television Reviews - TelevisionInfo.com

MotionFlow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 1

720p
There were even fewer issues with 720p content.

Can i sync playstation 3 with sony bravia tv ? - Yahoo! Answers [Had that in my notes. Sorry. It will help though if you have a PS3. :)]

I should also note that my family including myself like bright colors that pop out at you, and this is probably not what would be the "correct" calibration. However, that is what we like; therefore, you may have to look at the different color options in the menu. I usually use the brightest of the factory settings as a starting point, and then, I go to custom and add other features that may not be on the factory setting one. I do not use the Ambient Sensor feature as it darkened the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)