No Directivo until 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe they found it would have been tough to implement on the current platform, and since they are developing a new box.........

There was no way that they could come up, design, alpha test, beta test and release a new receiver in a 1 year timeframe.

Tivo told me this at CES so I am not surprised to see this news.

I personally would not be surprised if it did not hit the market until late in 2010.

Look how long the original HR20 took to come out from the time it was announced until the time it hit the streets. I believe it was over 3 years. (And when it came out it was unfinished many features of the box did not work and were gradually added over time)

I do believe that Tivo can make a great box for DirecTV, but great things take time to make.

End of 2010 is a loooong time.At that time, the HRXX will probaby be much better or TiVo will no longer be in business or D* and E* wll be merged , who knows ?

I accept the idea that a project like this can't be done in a short time but TiVo no longer has the advantage it had few years ago over any other DVR. If they become a software only company ,as many people is saying, they will face endless problems with so many different platforms. Just look at their Comcast project where the poor Motorola boxes don't help at all.

My hunch: TiVo will be acquired by a major satellite or cable company very soon.l

TiVo has plenty of cash, along with software deals, Netflix Watch Now service, Amazon Unbox service and You Tube. They aren't going anywhere, and I think what we are seeing from boxes like this (there are a few now) that they are the future. Tivo's bonus is the reliable dvr function it has along with the other features.

I don't think they will go out of business, but a larger company would be smart to acquire them.

Look how long the original HR20 took to come out from the time it was announced until the time it hit the streets. I believe it was over 3 years. (And when it came out it was unfinished many features of the box did not work and were gradually added over time)
I don't think it is entirely fair to assume that TiVo is as slothlike as DIRECTV when it comes to completely implementing a DVR. DIRECTV seems to have a special ability to drag it out for years even when it is arguably the only thing they have going.

By most accounts, the HR2x series still has a ways to go to catch up with the features that users are clamoring for and in the same time frame, TiVo has been working on the CATV DVRs and has delivered several new models of their own. I'm not suggesting that the TiVo DVRs are perfect, but they do seem to be much further along in many important respects.

I really don't care . I have a TiVo S3 (OTA only now) and recently switched back to Directv. I'm pretty happy with the HR22, only miising 2 things from the TiVo:

-Dual buffer
-TiVo to Go.

I can live without the dual buffer and TiVo-To-Go will never be available wit D* anyway. On the other hand, the HR22 has some nice features not available with the S3:

-The blue key is nice to see what is ahead on the guide. With the S3 I have to actually browse the guide.

-The RF remote is much better and allow me to distribute the signal to other TV (SD only).

-So far everything supposed to be recorded worked perfectly, same as the S3. Limit of 50 season passes ? I never had more than 20.

-500GB is a nice capacity, specially because MPEG4 needs less space.

-I hate video streaming (Netflix) and love VOD download.

I guess I am a perfect Directv customer now!

I agree with all you said, especially the DLB. My experience with Tivo's was less than satisfactory. My HR10-250 was slow beyond belief, and when they finally sped it up, the damn thing "crashed and burned." At least D* has steadily polished their units, something Tivo didn't seem to care about. The other Tivo I had for the kid's room didn't even last 2 months before breaking. No thanks, I'll keep what I have now. HR22, HR21, and a R15. All of them work as advertised, with a whole lot more capacity.:up

The funny thing is that I switched from Dish to Directv in September 05 because of all the problems I had with their DVRs. I was tired of missing timers, lost recordings, and other issues. I switched because Directv had Tivos and they worked great for about 2 years. Then the more software updates they released the worse my Tivos performed. I was having reboots daily and sometimes multiple times daily on all 3 units. Oddly enough my HR20 was solid. After fooling with the problems till my contract was up I jumped back to Dish and crossed my fingers. So far I've been back with Dish for over 4 months and the 722 has been excellent. I know I'll have an issue at one point, but never thought I'd go back to Dish to get a more reliable DVR. Saving money with the TurboHD package was icing on the cake.

I really wanted this soon, but oh well, guess I will have to wait a while longer.

I wouldnt be toooooo proud of the 922 until it hits, look at the 722k bugs.

Also, I was so tired of hearing TiVo TiVo TiVo, and when I got my TiVoHD, I was like "this is it??"

I have had some kind of dvr for 7 years now, and the HR, 622/722 and TivoHD are pretty good.
Have you enabled extraction on your HDTIVO? Its all about that IMO. At least it was with the HR10-250. The ability to do what ever I wanted with my recordings. That one thing made it superior. I wouldnt be suprised if thats why D* is waiting for series 4 so they can lock it down.

Maybe they found it would have been tough to implement on the current platform, and since they are developing a new box.........

well i did mention this when the tivo news 1st came out quite awhile ago and many told me this was never said but it's being mentioned again as a possibility. it could be we'll see Tivo software available for the current HR series. I also thought that Tivo was taking care of hardware and software. but it seems that Directv would be taking care of the hardware again and the software part would belong to tivo. Not sure if this is good or bad news.

Maybe they plan to develop a more open box like the 922? Who knows, but Id like to see more dvr's that work across sat, OTA and cable, especially if I'm gonna pay money for them. The 922 might be what gets me to sell my TiVo, unless they can get the 722k a little less buggy.

Thing with trying to drop the TiVo is, the Amazon VOD and Netflix Watch Now are pretty nice options. If I miss a TV show for whatever reason (president yacking on TV, sports over run), I just download it to the TiVo and watch :)

Man, this is not good news. Rather than letting people go working on this project they should have layed off the staff that works on HR series.

Because DirecTV employees supporting a very widely accepted production box is the same as TiVo employees developing a future box. Different employees, different companies, different stages.

I don't think it is entirely fair to assume that TiVo is as slothlike as DIRECTV when it comes to completely implementing a DVR. DIRECTV seems to have a special ability to drag it out for years even when it is arguably the only thing they have going.

By most accounts, the HR2x series still has a ways to go to catch up with the features that users are clamoring for and in the same time frame, TiVo has been working on the CATV DVRs and has delivered several new models of their own. I'm not suggesting that the TiVo DVRs are perfect, but they do seem to be much further along in many important respects.

No, by most TiVo devotees, the HR2x series has a ways to catch up. For the rest of the population the HR2x is much more the standard. Look at the number of HR10-250s that were in use at the height of their popularity. Compare that to the number of HR2x boxes out there right now.

You cannot compare any standalone TiVo with the HR2x because you know that not all features will be implemented in the DirecTiVo box. TiVo doesn't have to worry about expanded bandwidth through satellite launches or a number of other things that are on DirecTV's plate. I owned a DirecTiVo (Sony SD). It was a phenomenal box that did its job well. But I, like many other people have had very good experience with the HR2x. It was a much more affordable HD DVR that performed its core functionality at least as well as the HR10-250. All of the outputs worked out of the gate (lest we all forget the HDMI debacle of the HR10-250).

So...lament the features that you wish you had from the TiVo. That is completely valid. But to argue that the TiVo of old is the standard against which all other HD DVRs should be compared is intellectually dishonest. It was the first offering. It set a bar. But that bar became fairly irrelevant when you couldn't buy them anymore.

Also, I was so tired of hearing TiVo TiVo TiVo, and when I got my TiVoHD, I was like "this is it??"

I have had some kind of dvr for 7 years now, and the HR, 622/722 and TivoHD are pretty good.

Honestly, the way some people go on and on about TiVo, you'd think it cured AIDS. And I've been doing DVR for 8 and a half years. TiVo's a fine platform, but as you say, it's not the only one. And you don't get programming from TiVo, though I would say the ideal situation is if you can get all your HD locals over-the-air and can live with that, the $13/mo. for TiVo is pretty economical.

Not if they're in any way familiar with the TiVo Poison Pill.

I'll believe that if and when they swallow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts