No Dolby Digital thru TV using HDMI with HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
Does anyone have their HD Tivo HR10-250 hooked up with HDMI?

I do and if the Tivo is set to ouput Dolby Audio, I get no sound thru the TV Speakers. I do get sound when Tivo is set to standard audio.

Thus I always have to use my surround sound. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thats true but most TV's including mine can downscale the audio.

I believe the Tivo is not sending the signals. If thats true whats the purpose of HDMI?

HDMI is a digital connection for video (HDMI is designed to carry DD or DTS 5.1 audio as well) but monitors HDMI input is for only digital video (in most cases).

Edit: On page 10 or the owners manuel: If your monitor has a HDMI input & you use a HDMI to HDMI connection, it suggests you use audio connection to your A/V receiver for multi-speaker sound system (but it does say it passes audio through this connection-so check the specs on your monitor for audio by HDMI). If your monitor has DVI & your using the HDMI to DVI connection, DVI is video only.

Maybe someday they will enable the USB output though.

Hope I helped a little (I would love to own one of these units).

Did I help any? For your monitor, you will use the composite connection also, unless your monitor had DD/DTS converter by the HDMI input, but, I could be wrong, but I don't think the HDMI output does output digital audio output (might can later).
Anyone know that it does output not only digital video & digital audio and if so, DD and/or DTS?

Barney

Thanks for your advice Barney but nothing works. The only way for me to test whether its the TV or the Tivo, would be to hook up the tivo via hdmi to another TV. But I dont think that would help since others have had the same problem. Look Here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2209726#post2209726

It looks like this is a hardware defect with all HR10-250's. For now I am using a HDMI to HDMI for video and an optical cable to my receiver for audio. My TV speakers remain unused. :(

zubinh, connect the composite outputs-RCA's (stereo from the STB to the composite inputs on the HDTV.....can't remember the page on the owners manuel) for audio so if you wish to use the speakers on your monitor.

Keep the digital connection to your A/V receiver for DD (5.1 audio) so when watching a HD broadcast w/5.1 audio, use your A/V receiver & turn down the volumn on your monitor to 0 (easier than mute---later on when the wife/child uses the monitor---"Honey, there's no sound?).

Read JayDogs post (2nd one on the link you gave-I didn't go any farther)
"You should get audio over HDMI to your TV... as long as it is the HDMI-HDMI connection...

I have an HDMI-DVI connection, so If I wanted audio to go directly to my TV, I have to use separate RCA cables for that.... but I generally only use my AV receiver for Audio via the Optical cable....

Also, unless your TV has built-in DD decoding, then it seems logical that it would not be able to decode the DD audio stream..."

What is the HDTV model you have & I'll try to see if your set has a DD decoder ........if it doesn't, there isn't "input pins on the HDMI connection on the monitor for digital audio".

Barney

zubinh, I read through the Sammy's manuel (would love to have that set-want to trade for my Toshiba CRT?). Without haveing the manuel in front of me (and being at work also) but I see no problem for the Sammy to produce audio w/HDMI but I do know it can only handle stereo (2 channel) not digital multichannel.Samsung might has messed up also on their end of the HDMI. Their set is only designed for 2 channel analog & knowing HDMI will carry more than 6 channels of digital audio, why didn't they instal a D/A converter. But from that link Mitsu & everyone else....
It seems its in the source (your STB), & from reading the link all the way through, you have to manuel turn off DD (multi-channel audio). If this is too much of a hassel, use the supplied HDMI to DVI cable and 2 composit analog cables.
HDMI hasn't been out long enough it seems & equipment don't "shake hands" sometimes. The chip in your STB needs to detect just 2 channel analog and/or your monitors chip must tell the source (Hey, I can only handle analog).
It seems until there is a firmware update for your STB, you will have to go into its menu & turn off DD audio. Or just use the HDMI-DVI along with a pair of analog cables....which i think I would do, just for ease of use.
I'll keep hunting around, if I hear/read anything.I'll post here.
We early adaptors sometimes pay a price for our new toys....beta testers? ;)

Barneypoo69 said:
. Or just use the HDMI-DVI along with a pair of analog cables....which i think I would do, just for ease of use.
I'll keep hunting around, if I hear/read anything.I'll post here.
We early adaptors sometimes pay a price for our new toys....beta testers? ;)

You truly have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help out a complete stranger. I nominate you for most helpful member of the year award.

Yes I'm going to try the DVI/RCA suggestion and let you know how it goes. I was hesitant to try that because I currently have my DVD player hooked up to the DVI.

So now what I'm going to do is run the DVI Cable with RCA plugs from the STB to the TV and run the HDMI cable from the DVD player to the HDMI on the TV. (I'll need an HDMI-DVI adaptor first....another $20).

Thanks again... I'll let you know what happens

I haven't figured out this forum yet, to "Quote" a post.
If i were you, just my $0.02 here...a great DVD player that is progressive scan, I would suggest using the component output. This way the DVD player reads the digital info off the disc & converts to 480P at its source and sends great 480P to your monitor. use one of the wideband component inputs on your Sammy for your DVD player.
When DVD-HD or Blu-Ray DVD's come out......maybe use the HDMI for that. Its going to be awhile before HD-DVD's are here, at a price we can afford along with software. Save the HDMI for digital source for later.
Also, the DVI input on your Sammy is HDCP........been out for awhile, proven, use it for your HD programming from your STB.
Progressive scan DVD's are not HD, use the wideband component connections on this, these are also proven & work.
Using the HDMI output on your STB to the DVI input (use the supplied cable) and you can use just those cheap RCA cables that come with everthing you buy (VCR's etc) for the audio L & R on your monitor. It is very low voltage, connectors work great & your just using the 15 watt per speaker in your monitor.

Barney

I hear what you're saying about the DVD player but the reason I bought an upscaling dvd Player was to get a somewhat higher quality picture. I have a Samsung HD841 DVD player that has a DVI output. I bought it because I noticed the PQ from the DVI output is substantially better than using component.

zubinh said:
I hear what you're saying about the DVD player but the reason I bought an upscaling dvd Player was to get a somewhat higher quality picture. I have a Samsung HD841 DVD player that has a DVI output. I bought it because I noticed the PQ from the DVI output is substantially better than using component.

I have the Samsung 931 ,but I use the component output, because my Toshiba 51HX83 has only one DVI/HDCP input. DVI switchers are too expensive (gefen). Outlaw will have a new A/V receiver with DVI switching. Sony's 9000(?) has DVI switching. I'm waiting on a pre-pro with digital video switching (HDMI and/or DVI).
You have a great idea on a DVI to HDMI for your DVD player & use the Faroudja DCDi chip to output 720P to your Sammy. Why not. Wished I had two digital video inputs. Let me know how it turns out..along with ease to use.

I'm getting an adapter for the DVD player on Tuesday. Havent had time to switch the cables yet. I'll be away for a few days so i'll get a chance Tuesday night.

I'll let you know what happens! Thanks !

I'm asking around to see if in the STB menu if you can turn off the DD & have just stereo on the HDMI output and still have DD output on your digital outputs. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you know. Good luck ;)

Barney

zubinh, I posted this "problem" on another forum I'm a member of. Here is a members issue (he's on his 4th HR10-250). He has a JVC D-ILA:

Barney:

Did a little test tonite. Here are the settings on my JVC and DirecTV HR10-250, and the result:

DirecTV Setting ** JVC TV Setting ** Result

Standard Audio ** Digital ** OK - sound

Standard Audio ** Analog ** No Sound

Dolby Digital ** Digital ** No Sound

Dolby Digital ** Analog ** No sound

The JVC is only connected to the HR10-250 with an HDMI cable; no other audio connections.

So the DTV sends an analog signal over a digital HDMI output(?) and using the digital setting on the JVC, I get sound.

But if I send an analog signal via HDMI to the analog setting on the JVC, I get no sound.

And digital to digital - nothing.

Digital to analog equals no sound - this makes sense

If anyone can figure this out......

I still think there is a firmware update needed on the HR10-250. If I hear anything, I'll post here.

Barney

I also was informed by a member, that your Samsung DLP will not receive audio by the HDMI input (says is stated in the owners manuel) says he has a HLP??? but I don't tust this guy. Can you look though your owners manuel & verify? I hate looking through Adobe & I have dial-up.

Barney

Thanks Barney. I did check the manual and it makes no mention of Dolby sound only stereo.

I'm positive the workaround suggestion you made will work. I just wont have the time to do it until next week.

Thanks again for all your due diligence.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)