No Fox News HD in Turbo HD only!?

Are you a Turbo sub and mad about Fox News HD? Then don't read this...

So I had a few minutes at work to do some thinking (always a dangerous exercise for me...) and I began to wonder about the cost/value of Turbo HD packages. Basically, I wanted to look at them in terms of price per channel overall in each package, as well as the marginal price per channel. So I opened up a trusty excel spreadsheet and came up with this (click for full view on ImageShack):

Several things stood out to me about this. First, moving up in tiers costs $10 each time and going from bronze to silver gives you 9 more channels and going from silver to gold gives you another 9 channels. Second, there is no price per channel difference between silver and gold; I would have expected gold to have a lower price per channel, but the difference in the cost of the packages outweighs that. Finally, we all knew that the platinum package was a ripoff, but from the perspective of a Turbo subscriber, it isn't that bad; it costs $10 for 8 more channels instead of the usual 9.

Now, where things get truly terrifying for Turbo subscribers is when you look at the classic packages. I looked at all three plus the platinum addon and I included the $10 hd fee. So here is what you get:

Now remember, you are getting the exact same hd channels as the corresponding Turbo package (actually 2 more since I included the two Fox's), but you are also getting a whole slew of sd channels and to top it off, you are paying less per channel! So in bronze, you are paying 36% less per channel, in silver you are paying 50% less per channel, in gold you are paying 58% less per channel, and with platinum you are paying 54% less per channel. You should also note that the marginal cost per channel goes down as you go up from bronze to gold. This time, the ripoff of the platinum package is much more pronounced in comparison to what you pay for the standard packages.

Of course, there are "real" price differences between the two (classic bronze is $5 more than turbo hd bronze, etc.), but I am just looking at value. It appears that there is a heavy tax for having the privilege of just watching hd channels. Oh, and don't forget about the nifty music channels you get with the standard packages!

I know this is all stating the obvious, but it still hurts a little more when you break it out. Just food for thought... Oh, and sorry about the hyperbolic title; I just wanted to get someone to read this. :)

This is a bunch of crap. I called the 800 number and order turbo silver after dumping Comcast. Still saving about $40 even after the increase, and gained an extra HD box and NFL Network. If I stayed with Comcast and ordered an extra HD box and NFL, I'd be paying about $60 more. True I'd have more channels, but none I really care about.

What pi55es me off is I asked the rep and he said they'd be adding HD by January "at the latest", and as they are added they'd be "sprinkled across the 3 Turbo HD tiers".

Needless to say I was lied to, and despite the savings, am planning on going to DTV. They have a comparable deal, at least for a year, and have a ton more to offer. Only downside is that DVR, so I may wait and see if anything is on the horizon.

When I signed up, I was told that "any new non preimum HD offerings would automatically be included in the THD Gold package...

Surprising that they would NOT include HD version if available.. maybe they forgot to pay the bill?

:cool:

These lying SOB's said the EXACT same thing to me!!!

Love the analysis....but I don’t put any value on the SD channel as I don’t watch any of them. So I am paying more per channel to be an elitist. PLUS my overall month cash outlay is less. So in the real world economics its not about maximizing value....thats marketing...its about bottom line.

And the bottom line is I pay less per month for something I use with the TurboHD packages than I do with the classic packages.

This is a bunch of crap. I called the 800 number and order turbo silver after dumping Comcast. Still saving about $40 even after the increase, and gained an extra HD box and NFL Network. If I stayed with Comcast and ordered an extra HD box and NFL, I'd be paying about $60 more. True I'd have more channels, but none I really care about.

What pi55es me off is I asked the rep and he said they'd be adding HD by January "at the latest", and as they are added they'd be "sprinkled across the 3 Turbo HD tiers".

Needless to say I was lied to, and despite the savings, am planning on going to DTV. They have a comparable deal, at least for a year, and have a ton more to offer. Only downside is that DVR, so I may wait and see if anything is on the horizon.
I also came from cable and when you see the price for an all HD package ($39.99 when I signed up), you are like, "whoa! That is an awesome deal!" That has more to do with having been a cable customer though, than with the value of E*'s package. Everything looks great if you are on the cable side of the fence. Of course, Dish also plays the misleading advertising game (like they all do) and you kind of look at the ad saying "over 50 hd channels", but forget to count them, only to realize there are 29 actual channels.

In the end, I don't even mind paying a bit of a per channel premium to just watch HD channels (although I contend that the premium is too high); what I really mind is that we are now getting the shaft with the measly 2 channels that have since been added. It is a bad precedent and I hope that it is a temporary problem.

Love the analysis....but I don’t put any value on the SD channel as I don’t watch any of them. So I am paying more per channel to be an elitist.
Same here, except it seems like it would make more sense for me to pay $8 more (from Turbo Gold to Classic Gold) to get all the available hd's plus channels that I want that aren't in hd yet. Then I could lock all the other crap out on my receiver and still be an elitist, and know that I am getting a way better bang for my buck!

Just another reason to make my choice much Easier going with Americas Everything pack, Instead of then Turbo packs. Now do the breakdown of TOTAL Channels in the Turbo Pack vs Classic packs. You'll be more upset.

Just another reason to make my choice much Easier going with Americas Everything pack, Instead of then Turbo packs. Now do the breakdown of TOTAL Channels in the Turbo Pack vs Classic packs. You'll be more upset.
No thank you. I am depressed enough now... And I didn't check, but I am sure that AEP is definitely the best value around, so nice choice there.

How much longer with Charlie screw TurboHD viewers? (new Fox HD channels)

How much longer will Charlie piss off TurboHD viewers and not add the two new Fox HD to the TurboHD packages? Maybe he wants to get rid of all the HD-only packages, but he needs to realize that a lot of people switched to DISH specifically for these packages. Or maybe he is playing hardball with us like he does when he negotiates contracts with providers. If so, TurboHD subs don't need to take this quietly -- but instead need to make lots of noise and call Charlie's bluff. That means doing numerous phone calls, chats, and emails letting DISH know that you are very upset. Be sure to mention the large price increase TurboHD got and remind him of his promise that it would be "worth it" because of all the new HD channels coming. I am afraid if we don't make enough noise, that we won't ever see any new channels in the TurboHD packages!

These lying SOB's said the EXACT same thing to me!!!
Based on what CSRs are telling people now, it appears Charlie might be playing hardball and waiting for enough TurboHD subs to complain before adding the new channels. So everyone needs to get loud and don't let up until we call his bluff.

Well, I just sent the question to the Charlie Chat thing. That is probably a good box to fill up with these complaints considering whoever receives these emails have some sort of direct/indirect contact with Charlie since they have to plan out the show. Good idea, and send those questions!!!!!

Well, I just sent the question to the Charlie Chat thing. That is probably a good box to fill up with these complaints considering whoever receives these emails have some sort of direct/indirect contact with Charlie since they have to plan out the show. Good idea, and send those questions!!!!!

I just sent one about the Turbo packs being left out especially with the large percentage price increases.

Just sent mine to Charlie Chat, too.

Recently Fox News HD was added to the Classic Bronze + HD package, but not to the TurboHD Bronze package. This surprised me, as I was under the impression that the TurboHD Bronze package included any carried HD version of a Classic Bronze channel (as is stated on the channel lineup card). I'm concerned about the precedent this sets for the future. As more HD channels are added, can TurboHD subscribers expect to receive them as well?

Thank you,
Brian Johnson

The Charlie Chat link might be our best bet. If it's swamped with emails, MAYBE one of us can get in or at least Charlie MAY address it from so many questions. *crosses fingers*

I realize I am falling off the deep end here, but I'm still holding out for good news at the top of the charlie chat that will help settle this issue before needing to call or write in... I know, it's nuts to think that way, but will still keep my fingers crossed.

I realize I am falling off the deep end here, but I'm still holding out for good news at the top of the charlie chat that will help settle this issue before needing to call or write in... I know, it's nuts to think that way, but will still keep my fingers crossed.
To Charlie, silence means you don't care. Take five minutes and email and submit a chat question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)