No HD DVD players at Best Buy

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Well, was looking for an HD DVD player today at Best Buy with my stock of gift cards. I was hoping for maybe a left over open box combo unit or something, but no luck. I asked the blue shirt for an HD DVD player, and she said "blu-ray player?". I said "No, HD DVD player". She said they hadn't sold HD DVDs in a year or so. I replied with that was strange since they sell record players, and they haven't sold records in 20 years or so... She didn't have a response for that one. :D

Oh well, pointless story, but made my day anyways... haha.

Well, was looking for an HD DVD player today at Best Buy with my stock of gift cards. I was hoping for maybe a left over open box combo unit or something, but no luck. I asked the blue shirt for an HD DVD player, and she said "blu-ray player?". I said "No, HD DVD player". She said they hadn't sold HD DVDs in a year or so. I replied with that was strange since they sell record players, and they haven't sold records in 20 years or so... She didn't have a response for that one. :D

Oh well, pointless story, but made my day anyways... haha.

Yeah, they were the first chain to flush them out of their system. Did a buy-back and remaindered everything over eBay. Good deals last year on players with discs.

Actually, vinyl is enjoying a comeback, and I noticed a couple hundred titles in my local BB last time I was there.

Woah, news to me. I still have a collection of CEDs (video on vinyl). I wonder when they will make a comeback? haha, just kidding.

Seriously tho, Best Buy actually still sells records? I know they sell like 6 players, but I didn't know they still sold records. Dang, looking on the website, looks like they actually stock the records in store. I'll have to check next time I'm in there.

So what's the fascination with records over CD?

Analog audio is "pure", or at least has a greater potential vs. CD at a 44.1kHz sampling rate...

I am fascinated with all the newly-pressed vinyl that's out there! I'm not seeing new titles, just fresh pressings in various vinyl grades of old titles that were originally released on vinyl...

The HD DVD is an awesome player of HD copies of component high def output to the Hauppauge. Best output in the HD-DVD format burned in Toast to cheap, standard single layer DVD blanks play back beautifully with almost 2 hours on a single DVD. Blu-ray output works as well, but equipment cost is so much higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)