NO HD or DVR in 3rd Room?

kil

Original poster
May 31, 2006
OK, thought I had it figured out. With E*'s no upfront cost I figured it was the place to go from my current cable operator. Couldn't figure out which was the best place to order from so I decided to check my only
local retailer (Radio Shack) and also tried to call E* directly. Went from "not sure" on my setup to "Dazed and Confused".

First call was to E*. I explained that I needed HD in 3 rooms w/DVR and then just a line feed to the fourth TV. I was told that I couldn't get both HD and DVR in 3 rooms. That it was only possible in 2 rooms at once and the the 3rd room had to be either HD or DVR, not both? I asked him again and he said he was sure I couldn't get it like I needed. Doesn't jibe with what I had read before but....

Went to only local distributor that I know of. (Radio Shack) Rep there told me that yes, I could have all 3 but, that I would have to buy a bunch of cables and extras to make it work, that he would sell to me along with info I needed since he used to do installs? He also stated that it was $20 per box for HD and that I would need 2 boxes for 3 HD/DVR TV feeds?

So if anyone could help my questions would be....

Who's the best to call for setting up E*?

Can I have HD and DVR in 3 rooms with nothing more than a plain feed into a 4th room?

Is one DVR better than another or does it simply depend on the TV setup? ie: 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 TV's

Is it $20 per DVR and if so does a dual-tuner allow me to record from two TV sources at once? My home theater HD projector is next to the main TV room and I'm assuming we can watch same-time programming and record off the same tuner? If so, I could forget about DVR in the bedroom and save the extra $20.

I was told that it is better and cheaper to get local HD by paying rather than OTA? Is there a thread somewhere that explains the costs/advantages of either route?

And I guess lastly, but probably most important, are there any questions/aspects that I should be considering prior to ordering an installation from ? (whoever that best vendor turns out to be)

I apologize for the multitude of questions but I'm trying to get it right the first time so I don't have to post one of those "Live and Learn" threads I've come across in the last 3 weeks of reading.

Guess I should have listed my equipment. In-Focus LCD projector for Theater. 40" Bravia V series LCD for bedroom. Soon to be Plasma 50 to 60" for TV room.

Thanks for any advice/guidance.

I can't answer the programming questions, but if you want to record an HD program with DVR, you need a 722. The 722 only does HD in one room, the second room is SD. So, if you want HD/DVR in all three rooms, you would need three 722 receivers. You could do a 722/211/211 and have HD in three rooms and HD/DVR in one and just output the 722 second room feed to the rooms with 211s so you can have DVR functionality but you won't be able to record and play back HD programs in the other rooms.

Even though E* officially will only lease you one HDDVR for no upfront cost, you should be able to talk to the right person and lease a 2nd HDDVR free too.

They however will not lease you the 3rd HDDVR, you must purchase one and E* might install it free but might not, since three HDDVR may require a newer dish that may or may not cost more.

I suggest you try to order two HDDVR lease, have them install first, then wait a few months, by then E* may allow leasing the 3rd HDDVR, and you can add it at that time.

With two HDDVRs, only two of your HD sets will get HD sources, the other two will be SD source, all four TVs can get DVR and HD channels, just on the SD sources (TV2) the HD channels are downconverted to SD.

If you must have the 3rd HDDVR now, I can tell you as an existing E* sub, I have tried for some time to get the 3rd HDDVR, the absolute best E* would do for me is charging me $399 to install the 3rd 622, including a new switch or a new dish. I will however own that 622 not a lease, but that makes no difference to me. This deal was approved by a manager at E* quite higher up so it may not be for everyone. I still have have difficulty paying the $399.

I was told it is possible they will allow more HDDVRs leased next year.

I will not bother with Radio Shack, they usually have no clue. Go dishstore mentioned above or E* direct.

Last edited:
couldn't have said it better myself

I can't answer the programming questions, but if you want to record an HD program with DVR, you need a 722. The 722 only does HD in one room, the second room is SD. So, if you want HD/DVR in all three rooms, you would need three 722 receivers. You could do a 722/211/211 and have HD in three rooms and HD/DVR in one and just output the 722 second room feed to the rooms with 211s so you can have DVR functionality but you won't be able to record and play back HD programs in the other rooms.

This would be the best way to go - not only would it get you HD in all three rooms you want, it gets you the dvr functionality you were looking for (although only in sd in the other two rooms). Dish is also supposed to be coming out with a software upgrade for those 211's so you can attach an external harddrive - then you'd have 3 rooms all HD DVR

Dish does have a policy of 2 leased DVRs, but you can get around that with an email. We have a 622, 722 and 625 all leased, which is all we need, our daughters share the 625.

One thing no one has addressed is that since your projector and main room tv are right near each other, you could easily use one HD-DVR for both of them as long as you don't mind watching the same thing on both at any given time. The way to do that is to hook up the HDMI output to one of them and the component output to the other one. Use the IR remote for the room with the DVR in it and the UHF remote for the one that doesn't have a line of sight to the DVR. That way you get DVR and HD in both locations with one reciever.

So, my understanding is I can have two 622 recievers? I have a 622 I am supposed to return because I got a replacement, but I want to keep it. The only problem with it is the HDMI connection doesn't work but the components work just fine. The replacement works great all around. I want the extra 622 for the bedroom. I have been ion contact with a Jennifer from the CEOs office and she is supposed to be working on it but i have not gotten any word back on it. Who do I talk to so I can keep the extra 622? I have been with Dish for 11 years and I think I deserve a big break on this. I slao don't mind leasing it. Thanks

Dish does have a policy of 2 leased DVRs, but you can get around that with an email. We have a 622, 722 and 625 all leased, which is all we need, our daughters share the 625.

I have talked to that CEO department in person, and was told no 3rd 622 lease, I even told him there were people who had more than 4 tuners leased, he said those were not lease rather people owned 942 or 921 HDDVRs and E* replaced them with 622s for free, they own those 622s for free with the same monthly fees so it appears a lease.

Is that not correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)