No luck finding Shaw 111

I have a 205 that was previously authorized (not anymore as I upgraded to 505) and I still use that receiver to tweak the dish for F2.

After you upgraded to the 505, you STILL get channels on the 205 that were part of your programming package......?!?! I'm not sure I understand why. Please explain this to me.

I CAN understand that you could still use the 205's signal meter, even if the unit is not authorized.

And, I could understand your receiving 299 (the Shaw Info Channel that is used to download the channel map BEFORE authorization) on the 205 because you have the luxury of having 2 lnb's, but if I understood the OP correctly, he wanted to use only 1 lnb pointed at F2 only, in which case, IMHO (and based on my similar setup), he will not receive. I think this will present a problem, which I described in a previous post.

Perhaps it would be helpful for the OP to read the Star Choice do-it-yourself installation information on Kusat's website....I'm not sure how up-to-date it is, but it does give information about what can be expected from an unauthorized receiver. And, again, this website presumes you are going to get signals from BOTH satellites.

After you upgraded to the 505, you STILL get channels on the 205 that were part of your programming package......?!?! I'm not sure I understand why. Please explain this to me.
no. I only get the freebies which are 351, 354, 392, 393 (Access, Knowledge, Shopping and BC Leg)...those are free for any reciever (also called zero key). Rest say sub only

And, I could understand your receiving 299 (the Shaw Info Channel that is used to download the channel map BEFORE authorization) on the 205 because you have the luxury of having 2 lnb's, but if I understood the OP correctly, he wanted to use only 1 lnb pointed at F2 only, in which case, IMHO (and based on my similar setup), he will not receive. I think this will present a problem, which I described in a previous post.

But my setup is 2 separate LNB's with a 22k switch...not the quad LNB
So I tap into the 111.1 LNB only to aim. I dial up 711 or 750 (RDS) and watch the ebno number when I aim the dish. The channels are still logged into the receiver. I just get a "you need to call to subscribe" on the screen

Ok, I have a green 70 signal on what I believe is F1 since the sat led on the reciever is green, however, channel 299 still has no picture. If I switch to 559, the sat led on the reciever goes red.

I guess I'll call to authorize and see what happens.

Ok, what a day of frustration! I ended up calling to authorize. Within minutes, picture came on 299. Waited about 20 minutes, guide still showed No Data, but I decided to adjust to 111 and put it on channel 711. Have a green signal of about 65, so I think great, I'm in business. Go to change it to CBCHD on 300, no picture. LED is green, go to signal strength, and this is the weird part, it is at 75 but still yellow.

Did I not wait long enough for the data to populate before my excitement to switch to the bird got the best of me? And why would the signal meter still be yellow?

Ice, the EBNO # is 7.2 on channel 711, 3.7 on channel 300.

CBCHD is 292, not 300

7.2 should be fine....could be a little higher though

when you have only one satellite you're going to use (like 111.1) anytime you go to a channel that has the same parameters on both satellites you will get a green light but no picture and wrong info on guide. I've done that a few times

7.2 should be fine....could be a little higher though

I will have to fine tune it. I put it on CTVHD and I got a picture there, ebno is 4.8, with a 80 signal strength on a yellow bar. So I guess the yellow bar isn't an issue, but I need to get at least to 80.

Does anyone know what channel is on the weakest tp that I could fine tune too?

CTVHD is on 107W TP #13. SportsNet East HD & Big10 HD is on the same transponder.

If you want 111W you will have to move the dish 4 degrees West.

The only TP I have a problem with is #10 on 107W which has TheScore HD, AMC HD & Golf HD. The rest on 107W and 111W are not much different for me. For SD channels you will want to get and Ecb over 9.0 and for HD channels you will want an Ecb over 7.0 to avoid microblocking and bad rain fade. FYI, TP10 & TP13 are the only HD TPs on 107W.

Last edited:
Yes, new subs and if you call and ask. I got mine changed over to the advanced list. It isn't perfect either, but it is a little better to me than the classic list.

CTVHD is on 107W TP #13. SportsNet East HD & Big10 HD is on the same transponder.

If you want 111W you will have to move the dish 4 degrees West.

The only TP I have a problem with is #10 on 107W which has TheScore HD, AMC HD & Golf HD. The rest on 107W and 111W are not much different for me. For SD channels you will want to get and Ecb over 9.0 and for HD channels you will want an Ecb over 7.0 to avoid microblocking and bad rain fade. FYI, TP10 & TP13 are the only HD TPs on 107W.

I just realized this QCK, I thought I had locked onto 111, but I must be inbetween. That must explain my yellow signal bar for the channels on 111. It just threw me off having a signal of 80, which was higher than my initial lock on 107.

I think I'll listen to Iceberg, and just fine tune on with the ECB screen, as he's mentioned in many previous threads.

Yes, use the Ecb, it is a much better reference to go by for adjusting your dish.

I also didn't realize that a few HD channels were on 107.

I'm going up to Canada in a couple of weeks, I think I may just pick up a 75 Quad while I'm there. That way I'll get all the channels I'm paying for. And since I was going to use this for tailgating occasionally, after seeing how precise you have to aim for Ku signals, I'm not going to want to touch it. I'll use the one I have now, and leave my home setup alone.

I just want to say thanks to every one who has helped me out here.

Yes, use the Ecb, it is a much better reference to go by for adjusting your dish.
How does one get the Ecb screen? I know of only one way to see the value, it's part of a general system status, but don't recall the remote sequence off the top of my head. I'm at work right now.

Ordered the quad from Kusat and am having it delivered to my folks.

Put it on the plane for the trip back, I have 2 free checked bags allowed, and am only bringing one. $25 shipping to my parents is a heck of a lot less than the $105 plus brokerage fees if I had it shipped to Florida!

Hmmm......If you think of it, I'd appreciate hearing how the quad is packaged, that is, the size/shape of the package. I might try bringing one back from Quebec when I go for the summer. It would have to fit in the back of a Honda Pilot....along with three months-worth of luggage.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)