No more HD Distant Networks?

The New York Times only has the ability to make the choice to be sold everywhere because there is no federal law that bars them from being sold everywhere.

Mitch
And that is where you are incorrect. There is no law that prevents ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox from having it's programming everywhere. After all, HBO, TBS, TNN, ESPN, SYFY, BBC-A, Disney Channel, Nick, etc... do it. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox choose to distribute their programming through an affiliate system instead of a national distribution system.

Makman was referring to the difference between an individual station (WABC) and the NY Times not the difference between a network and that same paper.

Makman was referring to the difference between an individual station (WABC) and the NY Times not the difference between a network and that same paper.

It still is not a legal issue. WABC does not have the right to sell ABC outside its territory because the ABC content is not WABC's content. It is like a McDonalds owner selling McDonalds branded food out of another restaurant he built where McDonalds did not authorise. The networks are a product, the networks decide how they are going to sell their product.

The Distants/Superstations/LiL/etc are overrides by the government. The law is saying that under certain conditions and payment of specified fees the copyright ownership of the content is overridden and the content must be sold regardless of what the copyright owner might say.

The postcard is correct. You need a dish 1000 to get all the HD channels.
True but not new news. What this card is saying that if I don't let these guys do their thing I will loose all HD programming.
Nobody at dish knows anything about that. Looks like some kind of scam.

Asket said:
True but not new news. What this card is saying that if I don't let these guys do their thing I will loose all HD programming.
Nobody at dish knows anything about that. Looks like some kind of scam.

You won't loose all your hd channels immediately, you'll just continue missing out on the ones on the 3rd satellite you're not receiving.

What exactly is the RV rule? I have a tailgate trailer that has a couple of TVs in it. Is this something that would qualify me for distants or does it have to be something you can actually live in?

RV for SHELA is based upon section 3282.8 of title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations:

(g) Recreational vehicles. Recreational vehicles are not subject to this part, part 3280, or part 3283. A recreational vehicle is a vehicle which is: (1) Built on a single chassis; (2) 400 Square feet or less when measured at the largest horizontal projections; (3) Self-propelled or permanently towable by a light duty truck; and (4) Designed primarily not for use as a permanent dwelling but as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, travel, or seasonal use.

Interesting. I wonder if it will work then. I mean it is just an enclosed cargo trailer, but I guess you could use it as temporary living quarters if you wanted. :D Worth a shot anyway!

Interesting. I wonder if it will work then. I mean it is just an enclosed cargo trailer, but I guess you could use it as temporary living quarters if you wanted. :D Worth a shot anyway!
It might, for instance my Travel Trailer's title has "TRL" for body type. So for PA at least, there is no difference in a trailer trailer title and a RV trailer title.

Does anyone know if Dish is still planning to add the HD distants? I had heard that they would be available on January 21, yet nothing happened and now no one is saying anything.

Great question. Also, did we ever confirm which cities would be used? I thought I heard LA and Chicago, but maybe I made that up :confused:

Guys, Dish has never said they are carrying distant networks. You are half reading posts and rumors.

The discussion has been would it be to the benefit of Dish to do so now that they legally can, along with filling in short DMA's and doing significantly watched.... All speculation.

And it is worth repeating because so many only read what they want to believe..... most regular homeowners (not RV or TT) will be disappointed to find out they will not qualify for distants even if Dish does provide them unless the rules change.

True enough (both that Scott has implied that, and that he is not often wrong) but the fact is Dish has not said that is what they are doing.

Dish has a statutory license to carry distant networks, so they do not have to negotiate carriage. If the stations are uplinked, I don't see why they won't offer them now.

Dish has a statutory license to carry distant networks, so they do not have to negotiate carriage. If the stations are uplinked, I don't see why they won't offer them now.

Weren't the distants showing up in a uplink a couple of weeks ago?

That is my understanding, that they were uplinked a few weeks ago and remain uplinked. So why aren't they available? Or when will they be available?

DISH Network is the only TV provider to offer 100% local channel coverage nationwide!
DISH Network now offers local channels in 100% of U.S. markets and HD local channels
in over 96% of markets.

If they offer service in the virgin islands then surely we should be part of that 100%, but sadly no, and no HD networks for us either

Isn't there supposed to be some Dish people on this group to provide answers? Sort of odd they are so quiet. Especially would like to know about grandfathering since the Sobongo(AAD NPS) / Dish fiasco
surrounding this is not any of our doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)