No more Pocketdish?

suerapp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
According to an Archos tech (sent my Pocketdish in for repair) the pocketdish is being phased out and only Archos models will be sold.

Three possibilities:

1) Tech has no idea what he's talking about

2) Archos will incorporate the Dish network support into the standard model

3) Dish see no point since there's no Archos model that can support a direct transfer at hi-def resolution (not to mention all the current PD models that can't USB transfer if Dish switches Std-Def to h.264).

The PocketDish is alive and well, we will be seeing more about it this fall.

We talked with Charlie about the new PocketDishes and he says he has one and its much better (higher resolution screen, touchscreen, easier to use interface etc.)

Although in saying that I do believe that they won't be PocketDish branded, they will be labeled Archos, and all the new Archos Models will be PocketDish compatable. From what I have heard there will be a module for your Archos you can purchase and download to your new Archos model which will make it PocketDish compatable. And yes there will be a cost for this module.

The PocketDish is alive and well, we will be seeing more about it this fall.

We talked with Charlie about the new PocketDishes and he says he has one and its much better (higher resolution screen, touchscreen, easier to use interface etc.)

Any updated news on pocketDish?

Dish 622 Video downloadable to any other portable Video Players?

I'm kind of late to the PocketDish discussion, but can I assume that the recorded data on the 622 is encrypted somehow, so that it can't be downloaded to just any portable video player? Only the PocketDish or Dish compatible players (of which there is ONLY the PD)? Thanks. :confused:

Buy Pocket Dish on eBay?

I noticed there are a few PocketDish players for sale on eBay...is there any reason (other than high price!) why I should not buy one of those? Service for these isn't in danger of being discontinued is it? Or are better players that will work with Dish DVR's on the horizon? Thanks.

I love my PocketDish. Archos makes quality equipment and they work. I love the ability to plug in a jump drive and play all my music that way, saving the space for movies only. As far as I know, only the PD will extract from Dish receivers in a way to make it portable. I do not see where E* will not allow PD to operate in the future so get one now and you'll be good from now on.

I noticed there are a few PocketDish players for sale on eBay...is there any reason (other than high price!) why I should not buy one of those? Service for these isn't in danger of being discontinued is it? Or are better players that will work with Dish DVR's on the horizon? Thanks.
YES.

PDs can't accept HD programing and the 6/722s can't change a recorded show to make it compatible for PD downloading. Every day that passes there is more HD programing and less programs to download to a PD.

Granted there will be SD signals on Dish for a long time, so there will be something put on a PD but what will it be? The Weather Channel? C-Span? RFDTV? Free public access channels?

I've only had HD for four or so months but already a lot of what I record is HD so my PD is fast becoming a $300 drink coaster (which p***** me off a whole lot!!)

I see now....

So if the PD can't receive HD recorded shows, I would be stuck just watching Comedy Central and other low quality recordings....? I wouldn't mind watching HD at lower quality on the PD, but if HD stuff can't ever be downloaded at all, that's a whole different ball of wax! Thanks for the info, and saving me $300-400!:eek:

It's Fall, where are the new ones?

I've been anticipating the pocketdish coming out soon in the new version and being able to store HD converted to SD shows.

Is this still true? Any info on how much longer the wait will be?

So if the PD can't receive HD recorded shows, I would be stuck just watching Comedy Central and other low quality recordings....? I wouldn't mind watching HD at lower quality on the PD, but if HD stuff can't ever be downloaded at all, that's a whole different ball of wax! Thanks for the info, and saving me $300-400!:eek:
Just record the SD equivalent show for your Pocket Dish.

There certainly is no reason to watch something on that small of a screen in HD. But I can understand the frustration in not being able to download the content of your HD recordings. A utility allowing you to downconvert to SD would be nice.

The only way out is as Cyclone recommends, if you are going to watch it on a PD, then you'll have to record the SD airings of those programs. At least these won't eat up much space on your HD DVR drive.

As to the new version of PDs, the 605 just came out in August. I doubt it is replaced anytime soon. Althought the lifespan on these things is pretty short nowadays.

Archos 605?

Can this 605 unit take USB (quick) downloads of stuff recorded on a Dish DVR? I assume that any portable media player can accept Dish DVR downloads as output from the composite connectors (or S-Video?) on Dish DVR's (whether HD or SD), as long as download speed is not an issue (i.e, I assume you have to play and "watch" the DVR show to download it)?

Archos 705 WiFi

We are deep into the fall season and there has yet to be an announcement for the PD replacement in the form of Archos line of products. I'm aware that E* is partnered with them but to take advantage of the holiday season, we're running short on time.

My generous wife has asked me what it is I'd like for xmas and I'd love to pass on specific information for an advanced Personal Media Player. The ability to connect and record many of the programs I simply don't have time to watch at home, is very attractive to me.

What's the delay in formalizing an announcement?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)