No OTA with new 5-lnb dish???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spaulhus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Just had a friend tell me that when his installer came out to upgrade his 3-lnb dish to the 5 and install his new HR-20, that the existing OTA antenna with multi-switch and diplexors could no longer be supported! Is this true or did he have a misinformed installer?

I know you can get all the locals via DTV however, we live in hurricane alley and it's comforting to have access to OTA if the dish is disrupted by heavy rain.

Any insights on this? :confused:

Just had a friend tell me that when his installer came out to upgrade his 3-lnb dish to the 5 and install his new HR-20, that the existing OTA antenna with multi-switch and diplexors could no longer be supported! Is this true or did he have a misinformed installer?

I know you can get all the locals via DTV however, we live in hurricane alley and it's comforting to have access to OTA if the dish is disrupted by heavy rain.

Any insights on this? :confused:

You can get most of your locals in sd, but only some in hd, for now. Once the new sats are up and running, you will likely get all of them in hd, if they broadcast in hd, that is.

You can get most of your locals in sd, but only some in hd, for now. Once the new sats are up and running, you will likely get all of them in hd, if they broadcast in hd, that is.
What about stations that you can pick up that are not in your DMA?
I didn't think so.

The end result is that a dedication line is going to be needed for OTA reception.

Correct, you cannot diplex in an OTA signal, you need a direct run (which is better reception wise anyway, less signal loss).

What about stations that you can pick up that are not in your DMA?
I didn't think so.

The end result is that a dedication line is going to be needed for OTA reception.

That's correct. I never said otherwise. One thing to consider though, is that you can add only one dma outside your own. Since you can't manually add channels yet, you are restricted to two dmas.

The SWM-8 switch which is coming out this fall will support single wire operation for the 5lnb dish with integrated OTA using a diplexer at the receiver.

See post #12 here:
DBSTalk SWM info

I have one and it works great. They are still in field testing now, but should roll out soon.

You could get the install now and go without OTA, buy the switch (or convinece D* to send you one) and add the OTA back in this fall.

The SWM-8 switch which is coming out this fall will support single wire operation for the 5lnb dish with integrated OTA using a diplexer at the receiver.

See post #12 here:
DBSTalk SWM info

I have one and it works great. They are still in field testing now, but should roll out soon.

You could get the install now and go without OTA, buy the switch (or convinece D* to send you one) and add the OTA back in this fall.

Most people at D* wouldn't have a clue what your asking about .....

Jimbo

I was assuming he wanted it to work longer than 2 months :rolleyes:

No, you were not. You said "I believe you need a dedicated OTA line to the reciever (sic) now." I merely answered CORRECTLY that for now, he doesn't, but when D10 is operational, he will. Nice try.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)