No reason to sign up new to DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MagicConch

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
This is weird. I was all set for DirecTV instead of Dish Network, because of many of your complaints. I start by asking for any deals with HDTV. They won't offer anything besides those two worthless receivers plus the eventually worthless dish, no matter what equipment I buy

Dish Network offers me a free second DVR with the 921, free pay channels for several months, and lets me keep several hundred dollars. They really think their service and Tivo is dam fantastic I would pick that over this?

I don't get anyone but a die-hard picking DirecTV at signup over Dish. It's only year and I have a DVR in every TV room.

IMO, the Tivo fanatics are so pushy because they KNOW that Tivo is going the way of the BetaMax and it's killing them. Their stock is in the toilet, and them suing Dish is just a last ditch effort to attempt to get the PVR leader to give them a licensing deal. Fighting a lawsuit with E* will possibly bankrupt Tivo, they don't have the money to be picking these fights and Charlie knows it. Charlie loves to go to court, so look for him to drag this out and for E* to possibly buy Tivo out of bankruptcy.

The only real reason for anyone to go to Directv is because the programming is cheaper(although you get less) or you must have Sunday Ticket. Overall Dish is the superior service. I used to sell both services, and Dish outsold Direct probably 8 or 9 to 1. When both services are available for sale at a particular retailer, the customer usually picks Dish.

True. The only bad thing (I can think of) about D* is their new sub deals. Pretty much the best you can get right now is $50 DVR and a few months of HBO free. Not bad, but it certainly doesn't match the offers E* has for low-cost DVRs and HD receivers.

Having said that, I still consider D* a superior service that has a LOT of good qualities about the company, it's product, the quality of it's receivers, and the prospects of future enhancements.

I ran with E* for many years and their recent efforts to do anything were a total clusterbomb. To me, their shoddy management shows through to their shoddy product and shoddy decisions.

Obviously you should choose whichever company meets your needs and if the 'new sub package' is all you're interested in, E* is your company.

Personally, I feel the quality of D* service, products, and vision for future expansion and entertainment makes them a better choice, overall.

BTW, Tivo isn't going anywhere. D* is comitted to continued usage of the Tivo service. If E* would add season pass and fix their bugs perhaps you E* fanatics wouldn't be so fast to trash Tivo.

Also, my switch from E* to D* LOWERED my monthly bill AND INCREASED my programming choices. I didn't "get less" I got a lot more!

DirecTv is going to bring about 3 times as many HD channels than what they have right now along with some other channel additions.

Add all the extra I pay in monthly fees and it doesn't compare to how much extra I have to pay extra to DirecTV for the equipment.

DishTV is cheaper for a new user I think, and you save the money at the beginning instead of the savings trickle in over the whole year.

I heard about the HDTV channels. Hopefully it happens. I think long-term as far as HDTV, cable will win, but who knows. I've seen so many promises from Voom, etc I have been jaded by this and will wait until I see the goods.

I was initally going with Voom.

SlicerMDM said:
BTW, Tivo isn't going anywhere. D* is comitted to continued usage of the Tivo service. If E* would add season pass and fix their bugs perhaps you E* fanatics wouldn't be so fast to trash Tivo.

!

Who cares if Directv is supporting Tivo? No one else is and Directv can't keep them afloat. Look for E* to buy them out as a result of this lawsuit.

SlicerMDM said:
I ran with E* for many years and their recent efforts to do anything were a total clusterbomb. To me, their shoddy management shows through to their shoddy product and shoddy decisions.

Wow you really sound like someone who has a right to call someone a "fanatic". This is what I was referring to the fact that Tivo owners get so upset that they know their product is obsolete. It's not E*'s fault Tivo is dying, don't be upset with Dish over it, blame Tivo for a lack of vision in their product.

D* has been promiseing new locals since last summer!! Their satellite is over 9 months late. Yet nobody complains. If this had been E* instead of D* there would be constant whineing about E*. Why does D* get a pass and E* does not?

juan said:
D* has been promiseing new locals since last summer!! Their satellite is over 9 months late. Yet nobody complains. If this had been E* instead of D* there would be constant whineing about E*. Why does D* get a pass and E* does not?

E* and D* have different types of customers. D* has the joe-sixpack cable customers who know NOTHING about satellite issues and the "I want me some football" types. E* tends to have more technical-savvy customers which may be because of their ties to the C-Band industry. E* customers know more about what's going on than D* customers do because the contact from D* management to their customers is nothing like E*'s close contact with their customers.

With the new 7S sat going up in March Direct will have many more HD and SD channels than Dish.

Plus with is that when the HD Tivo comes out in March the SD Tivo will be

FREE

For new Subs.

I would wait and see how this war between dish and direct gets started. It will be soon.

ScottChez said:
With the new 7S sat going up in March Direct will have many more HD and SD channels than Dish.

Care to provide a source for that? What makes you think they'd spend their bandwith on anything besides new locals?

Chris Walker said:
Who cares if Directv is supporting Tivo? No one else is and Directv can't keep them afloat. Look for E* to buy them out as a result of this lawsuit.

One thing I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE about is that E* will NOT buy out Tivo. :no

Why? Because it would be the smart thing to do and E* hasn't been smart for a very long time.

Look for E* to continue to DUMP PRE-BETA products on its customers. :haha

Chris Walker said:
Wow you really sound like someone who has a right to call someone a "fanatic". This is what I was referring to the fact that Tivo owners get so upset that they know their product is obsolete. It's not E*'s fault Tivo is dying, don't be upset with Dish over it, blame Tivo for a lack of vision in their product.

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess YOU'RE the only one with the right to call people fanatic. Dude, look at your posts. THAT'S FANATIC!

:haha BTW, E* DVR users would kill for Tivo's "lack of vision". :haha

Go ahead, admit it. Never mind. We know the answer. :yes

I am about to switch from E* to D* as soon as the HD-Tivo comes out. Why you might ask am I switching, is it because of lower monthly fees for equivalent programming? Is it because of the increased functionality that Tivo gets me? Is it because D* receivers actually work as they are advertised to? Is it because I know for a fact to get all HD on D* all as I need is a small 18x14" dish instead of I don't need a 3' dish for the foreseeable future as E* say (however long foreseeable future is)? Or finally is it because E* promises a lot of things and never delivers it and D* promises something it happens?

Look, I have a 721 which I paid ~$500 for a year ago. At that time there were several things they promised, including DishHome (don't care about this just the principle of the matter) ethernet connection, etc. etc. A year is to long to wait for this functionality. Heck it wasn't until about a month ago they finally got a stable version of the software for the 721.

Now I look ahead at getting DVR functionality for HD. It bewilders me why ANYONE would plop down $1000 for a 921 that will never work as advertised, will be buggy for the life of the product and cause lots of headaches. Sure it was the first one on the market but given E* track record does anyone really think people will be as satisfied with the 921 as people will be with the HD-Tivo? I sure don't.

E* might be cheaper upfront but I bet if you add up your cost after a couple of years, especially if you are techno weenie your cost will substantially greater with E*.

Just my 2 cents.

Tivo users remind me of Mac users. They are so convinced what they have is best, too bad everyone else doesn't agree.

Chris Walker said:
E* and D* have different types of customers. D* has the joe-sixpack cable customers who know NOTHING about satellite issues and the "I want me some football" types. E* tends to have more technical-savvy customers which may be because of their ties to the C-Band industry. E* customers know more about what's going on than D* customers do because the contact from D* management to their customers is nothing like E*'s close contact with their customers.

Yep. Time fer me ta go git a 'nother beer... <burp>

Geez... I din't no wat I was buyin. The sails chick just said I cud hav them movin piktures and, she was purty, so i got DirecTv. <burp>

:haha

Chris Walker said:
Tivo users remind me of Mac users. They are so convinced what they have is best, too bad everyone else doesn't agree.

And E* users just take the beta units they're given and then whine about all the problems.

<Thinking to self...> <how much further before this thread is closed....>

SlicerMDM said:
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess YOU'RE the only one with the right to call people fanatic. Dude, look at your posts. THAT'S FANATIC!

:haha BTW, E* DVR users would kill for Tivo's "lack of vision". :haha

Go ahead, admit it. Never mind. We know the answer. :yes

I really wish that my 721 and 508s would record stuff I didn't want, must be nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)