no satellite signal with direct tv slimline dish!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's good. Then I do have everything I need. Thank you ! When I hook up my Sat. locator will it still go in line like normal?

I'm not an installer, but I would assume so. Maybe one of the pros here can chime in.

I am not an installer either, but have installed and setup about 70+ dishes over the years with nothing more than basic tools and a compass. No need to go to any extra expense; really.

Last edited:
+1...and I have an SBCA number!

Plumb the mast. Set the dish to the el & tilt. Push the dish slowly through the az (compass line) while on a cell phone with somebody watching the 101 sat on one of the receivers. Tighten the bolts when done. You can do it chewing gum.

Joe

+1...and I have an SBCA number!

Plumb the mast. Set the dish to the el & tilt. Push the dish slowly through the az (compass line) while on a cell phone with somebody watching the 101 sat on one of the receivers. Tighten the bolts when done. You can do it chewing gum.

Joe

With the old 18" sure no problem. Just a little more tricky with the 18x20 triple sat dish.

Telling someone with a Slimline that it is so easy to do is silly. There is a reason we need digital meters to peak this dish.

Sort of,

Those digital meters to pick up the 99 & 103 are expensive. Directv and the HSPs have not offered more money to use them so.........ya hit the 101, give a little poosh west and do a little tweaking until the signals are in the high 80s & low 90s. I have done it that way and then asked the dude with the blue shirt to improve the setting....no adjustment required.

Work slow.

Joe

Same problem but I just cant get signal

I have the same problem but just cant get any signal.
Heres the setup...
Direct TV Slim SAT one node....
it has a single cable that is split on the side of the house....
one cable goes to the main DVR receiver but splits just before it to the Whole Home module and the receiver...
the second cable goes to the power input device then splits to two receivers in bedrooms and connected via whole home inputs...

Heres my problem....
some roofers moved the satellite a little bit..

I plumb the mast. Set the dish to the el & tilt. to what DTV says it should be at...Push the dish slowly through the az
with a buddy watching but we continuously get 771....I know I am close but cant get any signal to ever start aligning on?
Is the only way to fix this with the digital meter...it is cheaper than paying the guys in the blue shirts!
any help is appreciated!

:welcome to Satelliteguys cb2013!

Just to be sure, are you using these numbers? Elevation 44°, azimuth 197°, skew 78°? Is the power inserter on? Look in the menu for signal strength and use the 101 screen. You should get some signal on the 101 satellite. Peak that, then check the 99 and 103 satellite.

Thanks for a quick reply...
yes power inserter is on...I even unplugged and plugged it back in...
I changed to long and lat coords last night 43.9°, azimuth 196.9°, skew 76° trying to get some sort of signal but its like its dead...
Does it matter which receiver is doing the initial setup?
I am trying from the one in the living room which is directly attached(no inserter in line)

one question....when I do the Az measurement what should I be using as a reference point....the other measurements have a scale on the dish...
the AZ does not...and since the tilt cocks the dish some Im not sure Im getting a good AZ measurement...

Azimuth is measured with a compass. Stand behind the dish and line it up.

I use a tripod setup on our RV and find that just presetting the elevation and tilt settings to what I find on dishpointer.com give me the "best" starting point. Make sure the bolts are firm enough that you get no movement on these settings while you are doing the azimuth. Now, with the bolts on the bracket that holds the assembly to the post loose, I aim the dish according to the magnetic azimuth setting given on that same site. (You need a compass for this setting.) This is my starting point. (You just have to know that the elevation setting is based on the "lower side of the slot where the elevation bolts attach. There should be a red line at that location.) From here a slight twist of the dish left and right should show a reading on your meter (it's best to use the one in your receiver for a single setup). Get the best reading you can on this adjustment and tighten down the bolts on the bracket that holds your dish to your pole. Now slightly loosen the bolts that hold the sides of the elevation setting. Next, get a grip on the top of the dish and loosen the nut that holds the chrome elevation assembly. Slowly move the dish up an down for the best reading here. Tighten all the nuts when you have the best setting. If this is a one-time setup go back and confirm that you have the best azimuth setting by loosing the bolts on the pole mount and get the best setting here. Tighten the bolts again, firmly this time.

Now change the meter on the receiver to either 99 or 103. Loosen the three bolts that hold the tilt settings. Slowly rotate the dish back and forth for the best reading. Tighten the tilt bolts when you have the best reading.

You are good to go.

IF this helps.........set one parameter at a time!
1. Install the mast "plumb" and firmly locked down. Confirm a clear LOS (Line of Sight) at this time.
2. Set tilt by the chart for your zip........no tuning needed....lock it down at the indicated setting.
3. Set the el by the chart for your zip....tune this again so make a tentative setting and make the initial tightening so the dish will not flop around.
4. With the back bolts firm but loose enough to allow rotation point the dish at the indicated compass line...check signal.........tune the 101 sat first.......while watching the meter swing back and forth through the 101 signal until the max signal is hit and lock this position down tentatively. Check the 99 & 103 sats. At this point consider the need for further adjustment. (This is where dithering begins) Signals in the 90s are the goal.
5. Observe the effect of adjusting the elevation for max signal...lock down the highest number.

Make sure all final settings are firmly locked down without breaking the bolts.
The first few hundred installations will be a little daunting but after a few years you will be able to point the dish while speaking to the next customer and planning how to attach the cable to the building on the way down the ladder.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)