No signal quality Fortec receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigel_miguel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
i new to FTA, i just bought a Fortec receiver, i'm using a 33" dish with universal LNB.

I live in London ONtario
I'm trying to get AMC 4, I have 90% signal strength but no signal quality.
therefore I think I get no channels right???

I trying to get the Portuguese channel.

I get nothing.

somebody please help me

First trick with the Fortec: turn it off manually in the back, then switch it back on. I don't know why, but sometimes it needs that.

Then, Attempt to get the 3ABN signal first on that satellite. It's far stronger than most of the other signals. (11822H, 5700 symbol rate) If that comes in, but not RTP, then at least you've got the satellite. Fine tune the dish with a meter by nudging it around. Unfortunatly, the Portuguese channel is on a weaker transponder (at least that's my experience), and it may take a little bit of tweaking the dish to get it to come in.
Hope that helps.

First off, signal strength means nothing, its all about signal quality. Double check the elevation on your dish, then check the azimuth with a compass to ensure you are pointed in the right place (or close to it). Make sure to take magnetic deviation into account when checking azimuth. Also, if this is a non motorized install, make sure to set your skew properly.

After getting your adjustments in the right ballpark, then comes the fun part. A signal meter really helps here. I like using a sf-95 signal meter myself, it makes installs a lot easier. If you dont have a signal meter you can use the signal QUALITY meter that on your fortec, along with a tv stategically placed so that you can see it while moving the dish.

Enter a active tp on AMC 4 into the fortec (i would use frequency 11708 V polarity
2170 symbol rate, kuil fox) then watch the signal quality meter on the tv as you slooooooooooooooowly pan the dish to the left and right. I usually move about 1/16th of an inch at a time, then wait 3-5 seconds for the reciever to display changes in the signal.

After you have a signal you will want to "peak" the dish to get the best quality that you can. do this by pressing on the top/bottom/left/right sides of the dish and watch the quality meter (or sf-95 signal meter). If pressure in any direction inproves signal than the dish has to be adjusted accordingly.

After you have done that then move the LNB (while still in the holder) both towards and away from the dish "face" to find the best focal depth, all the time watching for signal increases/ decreases. Most of the time the best signal is with the lnb as far away from the dish face as you can get it, but your mileage may vary :)

Good Luck

Enter a active tp on AMC 4 into the fortec (i would use frequency 11708 V polarity
2170 symbol rate, kuil fox)

this doesn't even exist on AMC 4?????

I can't get it to work!

I want to make sure it isn't trial and error... because that's what it sounds like!

I have the coordinates but if it doesn't work then i'm just trying to point it up in the air.
I've been at this for over 5 hours.. I don't want to sound frustrated but i am!!!

nigel_miguel said:
this doesn't even exist on AMC 4?????

It exists, just checked because some of the stations have changed SR lately. It is Fox KUIL 11708 V 2170 SR. Keep trying and double and triple check everything. It took me about two weeks to get setup properly. :)

i finally got it. it's only at 46%, i don't think it's good enough a signal...

the elevation for London Ontario is 40 not 36 degrees. I thought i would let people know.

if 46% is good what about when it's windy and storming?

If thats the BEST signal quality you can get even after skewing the LNB, and moving the LNB closer or further away from the satellite dish reflector then all you can do is get a BIGGER dish and/or a lower noise LNBF.

Make sure the 4 bolts that hold the dish on the mount have not been over tightened as this can warp the dish = low signal quality. The bolts should only be hand tight then half a turn with a wrench.

nigel
If its the same Fortec that I know about ( :) ) I programmed the RTPI channel into the first transponder on AMC4.

I never did program in KUIL (11708 V 2170) or the others....you can enter those int he transponder list.

I know KUIL would register on the 5900 as about 90 quality...the meter on that is pretty good but it does take a little bit to register the signal on that one (dont ask me why) :)

If you program in 3ABN, the meter should be at 100 :)

OK.... i get the channel, but i also want to get the portuguese radio station RDP. do i need to program that transponder or is it the same?

Maybe a lower noise LNBF, but of course a bigger dish added to a low noise LNBF would be best .

Whats the noise level (dB) of the Universal LNBF you have right now?

I get RTPi with a signal quality of 85% 36" dish and Invacom 0.3dB LNBF

i've got it up to 61%, that's best i can get it at....

but i still do not get the radio station

for Iceberb....

I still can't get the radio station I get a bunch of other radio stations but not RDP (portuguese). the one listed on lyngsat.

is there something that I need to set up on the receiver to be able get it?

thank you

yes i did, and i got a bunch of radio stations except for the one that I want. I did an automatic scan of all transponders.

For me, when the TV channel scanned in, it listed the radio station as a 2nd audio channel of the TV station. To get RDP International, I just selected it from the audio track button on the remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)