No sound for 1 to 2 min when start

WhitePolarBear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Gulf Coast Texas
I have my OnKyo HT-S580 a couple years now. Lately, it has no sound when I first turn it on. It takes a couple of minutes, then there is a humming sound (low at first then getting louder and eventually goes away) lasts for about 5 to 10 sec. After that the sound works.

It never happened until recently. It almost feels like the system needs to "warm up". It's quite annoying. I have checked this for a couple months now. The symptom doesn't go away nor it gets worse. What can cause this and can it be fixed?

Why not leave the unit on? I doubt that it draws too much current while idling. I leave my ONKYO 805 on standby when I'm not using it, which is pretty much only when I'm sleeping. Back in my "stereo" days I left my amp and pre-amp on all the time, I never shut them off. I'm sorry I can't tell you what the problem may be, but let it be until it dies. It may be cheaper to just buy a new unit then, then it may be to fix the current one.

Why not leave the unit on? I doubt that it draws too much current while idling. I leave my ONKYO 805 on standby when I'm not using it, which is pretty much only when I'm sleeping. Back in my "stereo" days I left my amp and pre-amp on all the time, I never shut them off. I'm sorry I can't tell you what the problem may be, but let it be until it dies. It may be cheaper to just buy a new unit then, then it may be to fix the current one.

That's what I'm doing (not doing). :) Thanks.