NoaaPort Setup

You mean like this?
Fabricated QFH, SDRPlay RSP2 (Or R8600) Nooelec LANA.
That's the hardware. wxtoimg for NOAA APT sats, other 'stuff' for Russky Meteor APT's.
Orbitron and updated keps.

Attachments

• noaa-20190606-n-mcir.png
    noaa-20190606-n-mcir.png
    467 KB · Views: 131
  • noaa-19-20190829072518-contrastb.jpg
    noaa-19-20190829072518-contrastb.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 132
Sounds like a cheaper solution. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the info.

Heck Johnny. Even with an SDR that covers the 137 MHz band and materials and cable and LNA and fabing an antenna (mine is made from commercial cable tv hard feedline). I've seen a few piddly-assed cheap DVB cards that would work I'm sure. A card would be the cheaper way to go. When you get into the GOES sats, more dinero. And APT sats only pass over twice a day. Although you can get multiple overlapping orbits with less quality if you have the horizon E&W.
Maybe one of the guys still have a card in a box in the junk pile.

My son asked me if the SDR-RTL device output is the same as NOAAport. Not sure about that.

Reactions: arlo
My son asked me if the SDR-RTL device output is the same as NOAAport. Not sure about that.
I'm not even positive that using a usb satellite tuner with pc would work.
Software like what is needed to do what you want to is pretty specific for hardware. Period.
The sdr will allow you to receive audio signals with a 40 kHz FM bandwidth from APT satellite passes and pass audio through sdr software, basically an advanced radio amateur radio receiver tuner on our pc monitor. Those audio signals reproduce an image line-by-line into an application WXtoimg.
You see a raw monochrome image on your pc. WXtoimg then processes the image and puts boundary lines on the image. It takes various other audio info and reproduces IR images and many others from the data file.
Pretty slick.

Download and install the software if you haven't already. I did and it tended to launch on Windows start. I didnt attempt to figure that out because the part I needed, NOAA login credentilas, weren't sent yet after my request.
Now I have those, I may give it another whirl.
But I'm afraid to get the stuff your son is interested in of of the C-Band sat. You simply need a DVB card.
I see a mess of Twinhan cards on eBay for a heck of a lot less bucks than getting an SDR radio that you would have wished you got a better one off the bat. Plus all of the other stuff involved like I mentioned to receive APT sat passes.
There is a slight chance I could setup a pc for remote access that is all setup to use my R8600 or SDRPlay RSP2 and all of the software to grab and process sat passes. If him and you are interested.

I am getting into a week late. Wish I had it now. Major ice/snow storm tomorrow and Sunday, would love to see and interpret the maps.Can't trust the weather people, but from online NOAA maps we have a long ride in front of us. SC does not have much road clearing equipment, and what they have goes to the interstates. Thinking I will stuck at home until Wensday. Travelers Rest, SC 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground. I am another 10 miles north of that at the base of the mountains.

The Novra S300 receivers for NOAAPort 89W C-band show up for a steal on eBay occasionally... there was one listed last week for under $50, but it's gone now.

Since I don't have a BUD, I'm more interested in the GOES satellite... NooElec sells a complete kit including the SDR, LNA, and dish for $200 which is very tempting. Add a Raspberry Pi and an RF modulator, and I could make my own in-house Weather Channel?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Update
I've also just been gifted access to the NOAA library.
I have CAVE and

So far. 89W showed me that my dish needed that final bit of tweaking to get a good lock on it.
It's not a video or audio transponder so trying to scan it in on my receiver is a bust.
Jump in! Show me how to 'build' a channel from the scan info.
Dvbsnoop shows what is below. I need to make a channel from this tp.
Using PID 103d (0x00067).

I'm finding out that you do not need a dedicated Sat>IP data receiver to feed the software.
Using a receiver like the osmio4k "should' work just fine.
IF. Using a program like TSReader with a sat data to IP bridge function can be made to work.

I was able to capture data using dvbsnoop and Wireshark. Very interesting to just get that working.
At first it appears that the transponder goes dead (loses lock).
But monitoring raw data when intelligible text streams by makes it look like a pause in the data stream makes the tp appear like it lost lock. Ex: a bulletin has been issued by wichi........<lock loss>.......<restored>....ta from 15:45 to 18:00. Interesting!

Changes in the data service to DVB-S2 explains why there is a pile of the Novra receivers on eBay recently.
I was going to jump on one. Because I'm a gadget freak and have been into meteorology since young.
Since the days of walking through the USAF weather stations and seeing teletypes chugging along, wet fax printers, and a Tiros sat drum printer in a darkroom with a humongous crossed yagi tracking them from paper tape. Then along came sound card software and SDR radios.

CAVE and AWIPS is pretty engulfing once you get it installed.

So jump in. How far have you gotten?

Reactions: k1cza
I just got a NESDR SMArTee RTL- SDR device that plugs in to a USB port. I got a SMA to Type F adapter for it also. I downloaded a Linux based app (welle.io) also. I need to figure out how to use this stuff.

CAVE and AWIPS is pretty engulfing once you get it installed.

So jump in. How far have you gotten?
Well this is cool! I set the idea aside because I thought I'd need a BUD and special data receiver for NOAAPort, or a special L-band dish and SDR for GOES. If you can use an Edision, or a TBS tuner, then this opens it up for a lot of folks.

How strong is the NOAAPort 89W C-band transponder? Could I pick it up with a 90cm dish if I get a C-Band LNB from Titanium?

What kinds of weather products are you getting from NOAAPort? I know NOAAPort carries a variety of satellite and radar images, as well as the Weather Wire which runs watches/warnings. Do any products contain forecasts from the local NWS offices?

Well this is cool! I set the idea aside because I thought I'd need a BUD and special data receiver for NOAAPort, or a special L-band dish and SDR for GOES. If you can use an Edision, or a TBS tuner, then this opens it up for a lot of folks.

How strong is the NOAAPort 89W C-band transponder? Could I pick it up with a 90cm dish if I get a C-Band LNB from Titanium?

What kinds of weather products are you getting from NOAAPort? I know NOAAPort carries a variety of satellite and radar images, as well as the Weather Wire which runs watches/warnings. Do any products contain forecasts from the local NWS offices?
So far nothing from the satellite feed. Fingers crossed.
But. Although it IS a pain in the ass. The tutorial for installing CAVE will keep you busy for a long time.
All you need is Internet for that.

A little reading will tell you what the dish size should be...at least. I don't see any of the 'tube videos installing a pip-squeak noaaport antenna.
Maybe someone out there with a smaller dish could tell us their signal strength on this sat.
I'm getting, perhaps 'false' locks on my 12 footer on the tp. Meaning the signal will peak at let's say 15.5 dB and then drop out for a few seconds.

So for reference 3880 V (3879 on the mio) on 89W is showing a solid 15.5 dB.
Could be the dropout is kind of like looking at a DCII tp. I don't know how the tuner display Signal Finder) works on E2 receivers.
If the display is showing a demodulated signal or if it is actual IF signal strength at the tuner input.
I'm just too lazy to hook up my spectrum analyzer and jimmy it in at the moment.
I don't have a proper DC pass splitter to tap the IF.

Anyways. Time will see. The University of Wisconsin has some cool sw available also.
Grabbing GOES should be pretty easy. Easy if you like to do these kind of things on the cheap.

Edit:

It's almost 1am now. For the first time I see a solid 15.5 dB on my receiver. The first time it's happened with no dropouts. So is it the receiver playing nice with the tp. Or is there an uninterrupted datastream flowing?
If I remember correctly meteorological sites are coordinated in making observations at the same time UTC worldwide.

Last edited:
Seems like it's a lot of work to get this up and running. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this. I've tried Gqrx and CuteSdr but no joy so far. tvrosat says you need a 3 meter dish for NOAA on 89W but mine is bigger than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)